PDA

View Full Version : steering wheel removal + fitting evo momo wheel - help!

Gly
23-10-2006, 08:50 AM
may have gotten my hands on a cheap evo 4-6 momo airbag wheel...

so how do you get the factory one of without it blowing up in my face?
and how do i fit the momo one??

is it just plug and play??
do i need anything other than the steering wheel and airbag for this to work??

Axeboy
23-10-2006, 06:18 PM
I disconnected the battery for 10mins.

Then just take the two screws out from each side of the steering wheel and the airbag will pull out...

then disconnect the airbah connector and the horn cable...

Then unbolt the main wheel, and remove.

Repeat in reverse, :)

Job done

Axeboy
23-10-2006, 06:19 PM
Note that the airbag light 'may' stay on after replacing...

I had to get the SRS light reset by a MUT...

Gly
23-10-2006, 07:28 PM
really? thought it wouldnt come on unless something was wrong?

doz any wiring need to be changed or modified at all??

Axeboy
23-10-2006, 08:25 PM
Wiring is the same on the vr4, and should be on other models...

And yep, the light will come on..

Probably..

You may be lucky though, some have done this and the light hasnt, mine did though.

Kenneth
23-10-2006, 09:24 PM
if you have the power off, and DO NOT turn it on while the airbag is unplugged, it should be ok. DO NOT turn the car on with the airbag unplugged :P

d i c k i e s
25-10-2006, 02:39 AM
i had an issue about the srs light. my horn wasnt working. was going to take it the people i brought the car from, but they were being pricks. so i got my uncle to fix it. $500 later! if i had taken it to the people i brought the car from they would have charged more. $500 for the part that needed to be replaced.

ummm the part that needed to be replaced was called the clock spring. circle looking part with a few wires coming off of it.

so if your horn dont work. clock spring maybe useless.

Scanny
02-06-2012, 06:51 PM
is the SRS light a bad thing? i want to swap my MOMO into the VR4 but im not too bothered about having the airbag live as i dont like them

where are these 2 screws on each side? is the nardi wheel the same?

horndog
02-06-2012, 06:55 PM
If the srs light dosent come on and go off again them its an mot fail ( for uk members - obviously)

Scanny
02-06-2012, 06:56 PM
cheers Marc

exevoowner
02-06-2012, 07:56 PM
yes the wheels bolt the same way and should be straight swap

wintertidenz
03-06-2012, 12:37 AM
Make sure that you disconnect the battery for at LEAST a minute according to the manual. If you get the SRS light come up, then it's a trip to the dealer to get it reset (or someone that has an MUT).

The two screws are Torx screws - a hex key works if you get the right size. You can see them if you put your head near the door hinge on the driver's side and look near the top of the wheel.

Make sure that ALL the fittings are correct before you reinstall anything - otherwise you will cause the light to come on. When you are refitting the wheel, turn the clock spring clockwise till it stops, then back 3 4/5ths of a turn and make sure that the alignment marks line up, then refit the wheel. If the marks are out, the SRS system will throw a fit (but not set off the airbags).

GalantOnly
03-06-2012, 10:20 AM
According to the manual, after the battery is disconnected, you'll have to wrap the tape around ground lead to prevent connection if it jumps up on the battery by itself........./lol

Scanny
03-06-2012, 10:39 PM
i found them this morning under a blanking cover. i should have the correct tool for that.

what is an MUT and who is likely to have one? there are a few tuning garages round here and they all seem to deal with EVOs and scoobies. would they be likely to have one?

wintertidenz
03-06-2012, 11:03 PM
MUT is the Mitsi diagnostic tool. You only need it if you accidentally trigger the light when changing the airbag.

The Evo tuners should hopefully have the tool to reset the light if it comes on.