PDA

View Full Version : Galant VR4 coilovers

Nutter_John
23-10-2006, 10:48 AM
I have just spoken to K-Sport regarding coilovers for the saloon version of the VR4 and they state that they have a kit which is available .

http://www.ksport.co.uk/

The price I was quoted was 546 inc Vat and is the standard coilover ( non inverted)

They recon that it will take 5 working days for them to get them in stock

so the question is ????? am I the only gay in the village

no sorry thats Bernmc - Is anyone one else interested in coilovers for the saloon version ??

White Lightning
03-12-2006, 05:06 PM
That'll be these then:

http://www.ksport.co.uk/order.asp?id=135&loc=1

Only thing is, it does say "98-on". Wonder why?

Twpsin
05-12-2006, 02:10 PM
Might be interested

How many do you need to get a discount?

I have just upgraded to Evo 8 Brakes and Evo 7 wheels 235/45/17 I think but when I have a car full the back tyres catch the arches.

So will fitting the coil overs help or do I need another mod to stop this?

bradc
05-12-2006, 06:55 PM
They probably just got the dates wrong, there is no difference at all between early VR-4's and late VR-4's as far as the suspension goes.

Twpsin, if you make the suspension harder then it can stop the rubbing, but you really want to get your guards rolled.

Gly
05-12-2006, 07:42 PM
That'll be these then:

http://www.ksport.co.uk/order.asp?id=135&loc=1

Only thing is, it does say "98-on". Wonder why?

maybe coz they've been made for the US spec galant which was only released in 1998 in the states,

meaning these may NOT be suited to the Jap spec galant/legnum,

Nutter_John
06-12-2006, 07:24 PM
I did give them the the detials that it was a Jap Spec import with an ec5a , they were quite convinced that it was for the saloon based vr4 . I will give them a call an ask a price on five sets as I discussed this with Wayne and Jimbo who were both interested ( not looking for commitment )

So it anyone else is interested just post here and I will call em on Friday

Nutter_john
White Lighting
Jimbo
twpsin
MPBVr4

MPBVr4
06-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Another possible here. :thinking:

K9NG
07-12-2006, 09:06 AM
I have read on other websites these can be quite harsh on UK roads.
Demon tweeks do offer different spring rates to combat this.

Kieran
07-12-2006, 10:11 AM
I have read on other websites these can be quite harsh on UK roads.
Demon tweeks do offer different spring rates to combat this.

Yeah, that's a point - find out the spring rates of the coilovers - you may find that they're something loony-tunes like 8.0kg/5.0kg F/R - Standard values are in this thread:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=187940&postcount=5

MPBVr4
07-12-2006, 10:53 AM
Yeah, that's a point - find out the spring rates of the coilovers - you may find that they're something loony-tunes like 8.0kg/5.0kg F/R - Standard values are in this thread:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=187940&postcount=5

Good point K, they look rock hard at 17.8 kg/mm Front and 7.2 kg/mm rear:uhoh:

Nutter_John
07-12-2006, 11:38 AM
Yes they would be quite hard , will ask if they do different spirng rates

Kieran
07-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Good point K, they look rock hard at 17.8 kg/mm Front and 7.2 kg/mm rear:uhoh:

Good god! You'd be able to measure the harshness of bumps by the number of vertebrae in your back that fracture!/help

Nutter_John
07-12-2006, 12:09 PM
Interesting fact is that they also do em for legnums and the fronts are 16.2kg/mm so i think they have the spirng rates all wrong

will call em in a while and question them

Twpsin
07-12-2006, 12:57 PM
Twpsin, if you make the suspension harder then it can stop the rubbing, but you really want to get your guards rolled.

Thanks Bradc

Is there someone in the Uk that does this or is it a case of finding a good body shop that does it.

Nutter_John
07-12-2006, 01:08 PM
Good body shop should be able to roll them for you

White Lightning
08-12-2006, 01:21 PM
Any update on this John ?

Not that I am watching closely ... :inquisiti

Nutter_John
08-12-2006, 01:41 PM
Not had a chance to call yet , will do it for sure this afternoon , not that I'm in a hurry for a better handling car or anything :D

Nutter_John
08-12-2006, 02:05 PM
Right ok I have spoken to the dealer and they will speak to K-Sport and request for some custom spec springs etc .

Now I asked them the price and they did not think it would be anymore than the stock price , as for a discount it would all be priced up when we give them the spec we want

Now looking at the Stock rating for the front and rear they are the following

front 3.6 kg rear 2.5kg
how about we look at something like
front 7.2kg rear 5kg
This would be twice as stiff but should retain good road manors as well ( EVO's are 7.2kg as well )

Comments please ( esp Super Kieran - who has so much knowledge on this subject )

Axeboy
08-12-2006, 02:15 PM
Interested

Twpsin
08-12-2006, 05:40 PM
John

From Kieran thread link above it look like he is running close to standard ratings
3.6kg/mm front
1.5-2.7kg/mm rear

It may be worth finding out via another thread what spring ratings people are running and how it has altered the car rides

Kieran
08-12-2006, 06:04 PM
Regarding spring rates... Well, I offer Tein's experience.

They list the Super Wagon damper as being compatible with the Galant EC5A (see link below) and that's rated at 5.0kg front and 3.0kg Rear.

http://www.tein.co.jp/e/price_list/swg_mitsubishi.html

The 'GT Wagon' is a more sports-focused setup (again, see below) but is listed for the Legnum only. This uses 8.0 and 5.0 F/R respectively.

Dan_G fitted Tein 'Super Wagon' dampers to his Legnum - read his thoughts here:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9609&highlight=super+wagon

Tein also offer the 'Type CS' damper, according to their model lookup page for the EC5A, however, I can't find this in the details....:inquisiti

Here's Teins website if you want to search further:

http://www.tein.co.jp/e/price_list/index.html

Kieran
08-12-2006, 06:09 PM
Something else to add....

When I got my S-Tech springs from Camskill, the instruction manual does list the Galant EC5A as a fitment... But this is not recommended or listed anywhere on Tein's website. I see no reason why they wouldn't be okay, particularly as the rears are progressive between 1.5 and 2.7kg, depending on load - which accounts for the Legnum's heavier bum! - However, seeing as Tein don't recommend it, I leave you to make up your own minds on that option.... It could be worth a call to Tein UK?

MR.VOODOO
11-01-2007, 11:17 PM
i have said it befor and i will say it agin I AM A OFFICAL TEIN DEALER

If you want me to get a group buy going i will sort it out , the will be special order from japan but i will sort our a good discount if we can 5 + on board
bear in mind the spring rate for estate is diffrent form the saloon....

MR.VOODOO
11-01-2007, 11:20 PM
Hi Ian

As discussed the following damper kit options for Legnum (EC5W- EC1W, EA5W-
EA1W, EC5A, EA1A).

Wagon DSR42-U1SS2 rise height adjustment only. Front range for EC5W -20mm
to -60mm Rear range -10mm to -50mm.

list price GBP420.00+ vat

Shipping using our stock shipment GBP11.32 + vat

SuperWagon DSR42-91SS3 As above but damping force adjustment of compression
with rebound together ( 16 settings). Also special uppermounts allowing
EDFC.

List price GBP560.00 + vat

Shipping using our stock shipment GBP11.95 + vat

GT Wagon GSR42-E1SS3
As above but with full length height adjust system. Allowing height
adjustment independently of the spring pre-load.

Front range EC5W +10mm to -75mm Rear range +10mm to -55mm

List price GBP720 + vat

Shipping using our stock shipment GBP11.95 + vat.

Price for shipping is each item. Ride heights are for EC5W only and will
differ with differing models and compared to OEM ride heights.

Nutter_John
11-01-2007, 11:42 PM
Mr Voodoo

The reason I posted this up in the first place was because of the distinct lack of Saloon based coilovers for the VR4 . Having been on the track a few times last year it really shows up how bad the roll is thru corners .

Now I went and Spoke with K-Sport becasu they stated on there webiste they can do the coilovers for the Saloon. And after talking with then they can get the kit made up with whatever spring rates we want , also there turn around is 5-10 working days .

If I remeber from your original post a long time ago they shipment time from Tein was around 3 months if we did not want to spend 200 quid on shipping .

On Monday it is my intention to get back in touch with K-Sport and ask for a full quote for Spring rates or fr/8kg and rr/5kg for 5+ kits , now I am more than happy if you can source Tein for the Saloon within a reasonable time frame to also ask you for a formal quote ( would preffer Tein but don't want the wait- also preffer to use a member 's company etc etc )

MR.VOODOO
12-01-2007, 05:48 PM
tein are back on monday , they are at the auto sports show , i will get some firm answers

Nutter_John
12-01-2007, 07:17 PM
Thanks Voodoo

Twpsin
12-01-2007, 09:56 PM
When you get a quote can you get a quote for my 2002 saloon for a set of coil overs I am not planning on lowering the car at the moment as the tyres catch the wheel arch at the back so would be looking at a set that will give me standard ride hight at the moment with the option of lowering at a later date.

Thanks

Phil

Nutter_John
12-01-2007, 10:01 PM
No problem Phil

The intention is to get a price for a single set of Coilovers and 5 sets of Coilovers for the Saloon based VR4 , once we have a price if any coffin carriers want some for there we can look at adding them to the deal .

Cheers John

Kieran
12-01-2007, 10:14 PM
.... if any coffin carriers want some for there we can look at adding them to the deal...

The cheek! But wouldn't that be a way to go! AYC action on your final journey! Enough to wake the dead! /Devil5

For any wagon owners out there, the saloon coilovers will fit, You'll probably just need to faff with the rear ride height settings a little more. To be honest - Camskill sell the Tein S-Tech lowering springs as Legnum only... However when I got my set, the instructions, though in Japanese CLEARLY show both EC5W (Legnum) and EC5A (Saloon) as being fitments. The rear springs are even variable rate (~1.5-2.7 kg/mm) to account for the difference in weight at the back of the car.

To be honest, with spring rates like that, I guess it doesn't really matter that much anyway - they'll be taught on either car!

MR.VOODOO
15-01-2007, 09:40 PM
special order from tien japn , next shipment due MAY ........ so this is how long they will take to get here ..... talk about slow boat from china ...lol

any way if you want tein s-tec springs i am prepaired to do a group buy ..

Nutter_John
24-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Ok guys I have a final price for coilovers and the price is really good .

I have been working with a company in scotland to source some Diayama coilovers and DPX controlers and have arrange a special price for them .

The coilovers are available for both the 5w and 5a chassis and have a standard rate of 14fr and 6 back , but don't be alarmed around the rates as this is in hand

the DPX controller is a full electronic adjuster for the dampers and looks great

Now what is the price I hear you say , well if we can get 5 members willing to sign up by Thursday evening 25th Jan we can get them thru WRD for the following price .

28 way adjustable coilovers with pre-load and independant height adjustment , Striaght wound springs £450 + del

DPX electronic controller for the above £205 + del

Now they will require a 50% deposit by Friday for them to order them with a delivery by mid March as these are custom made .

I hear Kieran saying those rates are too harsh , well if we get the five deposits in they will send me a full kit air shipped from Japan and I will test it on my car ( prob on a track as well ) and report back with the results an adjust the rates as needed .

I am also trying to arrange a special price via WRD for full fitting , but details of this will follow

Nutter_John
25-01-2007, 10:07 AM
bumpy bump bump

bernmc
25-01-2007, 10:23 PM
Urgh. Spent too much already... and need engine management before suspension :(:(

And yes, *I* am the only gay in the village :veryangry

Twpsin
25-01-2007, 10:48 PM
John,

if i am looking at keeping the standard ride hight for the moment will these do the trick or are they set to lower the car out of the box

Phil.

Nutter_John
25-01-2007, 10:50 PM
Hi Phil

Totally adjustable , so you just set them to the hight you want , for instance my back end is a little low compared to the fron , so all i will do is lower the front to match tha back end. Not interested in dropping to the floor like some people have theres , just as level setup and firmer .

Cheers John

Twpsin
25-01-2007, 10:58 PM
Put me down for a set

BraindG
26-01-2007, 11:41 AM
the DPX controller is a full electronic adjuster for the dampers and looks great

Can I ask John, does this system auto adjust depending on speed? Or are there set settings for each enviroment?

Nutter_John
26-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Barry , you set the controller up to what ever you want

So if you want a nice firm response whilst having a spirited drive then you can adjust the settings , or you can set them quite loose so that it is a more relaxed ride .

And of course get it on the track and set em rock solid .

Same as the edfc from tien , but I think the remot looks nicer . Will post a piccy up later when I get into the office

BraindG
26-01-2007, 12:02 PM
okido, thats all i needed to know really, whether it was choose from settings or whether it had an automatic adjustement function depending on the speed your going.

Cheers! :pimp2:

Axeboy
26-01-2007, 03:20 PM
Might be tempted after seeing the pics of the controller..

Hmmmmm

Damn it

Nutter_John
26-01-2007, 03:45 PM
Here we go with some piccy's

Eagleton
10-02-2007, 06:52 PM
so the question is ????? am I the only gay in the village

Hey, I want some coilovers, but I dont know about the gay thing though.

Nutter_John
10-02-2007, 07:55 PM
Hi Eagle

Don't worry once you have read a few posts from Wildacrds or Bernmc you will understand the refference to gay :D

I will find out what the turn around on another set would be and let you know

Cheers John

Eagleton
11-02-2007, 12:13 AM
Nice! I dont think I´ll have the cash for another couple of months, so dont put to much time in it.

kev@k-sport
05-04-2007, 05:18 PM
K-Sport coilovers for owners clubs can be bought on a group buy if 5 or more members want them.

Currently discussing with "The Vee" on doing a group buy on our 8-Pot big brake kits :D

bradc
05-04-2007, 08:00 PM
As long as the 8-pots come in a fitment for facelift VR-4's (same fitment as evo5-9 Brembo's) and you sell a matching 4 pot rear caliper, also same fitment as evo's.

gary_yuen42
05-04-2007, 09:01 PM
John,you got the Daiyama Coilover ok? We are all eager to wait for your report with the in car damping controller :)

stuartturbo
05-04-2007, 09:22 PM
As long as the 8-pots come in a fitment for facelift VR-4's (same fitment as evo5-9 Brembo's) and you sell a matching 4 pot rear caliper, also same fitment as evo's.
No you've ugly face lift boys have too much choice /lol
Only the prefacelifts needed/lol

bradc
05-04-2007, 09:49 PM
we don't have any choice for 8-pots :)

Nutter_John
05-04-2007, 11:20 PM
Yep got my Coliovers fine , should be on by Saturday afternoon :2thumbsup

psbarham
06-04-2007, 08:14 AM
we don't have any choice for 8-pots :)
mr compensating for something , why the need for 8 pots ? unless the swept area is narrower to reduce rotating mass and unsprung weight , the 8 pots just wont be needed . most car big brake kits wether is 4/6/8/10 pot calipers use the same disc , so any benifits are lost by using big heavy discs with big heavy calipers , until a disc with a smaller swept area is produced , a set of evo brembos are as good as any

bradc
06-04-2007, 08:23 AM
yeah you're right, but the penis factor is huge

psbarham
06-04-2007, 09:14 AM
yeah you're right, but the penis factor is huge
well at least your honest :D and yeh i have to admit there is something cool about saying 'oh yes they are 8 pots'

Brunty
01-06-2007, 07:55 PM
John - is there an update on this?

richy rich
01-06-2007, 07:58 PM
John - is there an update on this?
we can show you and talk to you about it tomorrow.

Nutter_John
01-06-2007, 08:57 PM
Yep I'm in the process of writing a full review on these and releasing a new group buy offer . Just been real busy with work and wrd work . but in the next 7 days i will be posting up

Brunty
01-06-2007, 09:17 PM
we can show you and talk to you about it tomorrow.

But...I've already spent all my money with you guys......

bradc
01-06-2007, 09:19 PM
psst I don't think he was talking about the suspension :)

White Lightning
08-06-2007, 02:46 PM
Yep I'm in the process of writing a full review on these and releasing a new group buy offer . Just been real busy with work and wrd work . but in the next 7 days i will be posting up

John ..... ??? /Wave

I will be looking at getting my suspension sooner rather than later now ... and I am wondering what you findings were ...?

jpnvr4
02-05-2008, 05:53 AM
funny thing is ... this is from 1 yr ago ... and I see no report ..LOL ... WTF happened?

Nutter_John
02-05-2008, 09:03 AM
Yeah was very poor of me not to put a review in place

oh look here it is

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=256656#post256656

WildCards
02-05-2008, 01:52 PM
funny thing is ... this is from 1 yr ago ... and I see no report ..LOL ... WTF happened?

They're crap and he's too embarrased to say it it.

And he's [snip- K :p]

:p