PDA

View Full Version : Steering Rack Problems - again

konman
24-10-2006, 01:00 AM
looks like ive sprung another bl##dy steering rack leak. i had the car in the air on the weekend and i think i know where its coming from. theres a large bolt almost directly under the steering shaft on the other side of the rack. i dont have a socket big enough to get on it, its huge, but was wondering if it is the source of the leak can i get it out, locktite it or gum it up somehow with gummy gasket type stuff and get it back in? has anyone done any work on their racks before (seedy comments welcomed but must be accompanied by helpful suggestions), or should i leave this to an expert (bearing in mind i dropped $900 on it 14 months ago)
thanking yoos experts doods in advance like.:pimp2:

konman
25-10-2006, 04:01 AM
bump

konman
30-10-2006, 08:22 PM
eerr bump bump... please/help

Nick Mann
30-10-2006, 09:35 PM
I can't picture what you are talking about. Any chance of a photo?

BraindG
30-10-2006, 09:48 PM
In the service manuals (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5507)

Document 37_Steering
Page 37a-18

That bolt?

stuartturbo
30-10-2006, 09:52 PM
I think that is the torsion value that operates the rack.
never taken one apart so unsure what is behind it just be careful if you remove it.
everything should stay in there?
Reseal from a loctite thread sealant after making sure there is no oil present. this may be very hard with the car in the air.
try to record the torque when you undo it and redo it up to a bit less

rack (http://auto.howstuffworks.com/steering4.htm)

edit to say that is the place what i was thinking. The top is where the steering shaft goes in is probably an 'O' ring on the under side is the nut

Axeboy
30-10-2006, 09:54 PM
Not much help, but my steering rack was leaking.

I was going to fit a new one at huge expense, but my garage managed to have it repaired for about £60.

konman
30-10-2006, 10:44 PM
thanks guys, stuartturbo yeah thats the one. but in all honesty its hardly leaking at all. i topped up the resevoir about two weeks ago and as far as i can see the level hasnt moved. theres certainly a leak somewhere cause theres fluid residue on the underside near that area of the rack, and a drop or two forming on that bolt head, but it must be very very slow. anyway im leaving it alone at the moment, its not due for a warrent of fitness until feb so ill have it sorted in jan when it goes in for a service. hopefully its the kiwi equvilent of 60 quid.
cheers very much.