PDA

View Full Version : Hoping to join the VR4 crowd

Andi T
24-10-2006, 10:00 AM
Hi,

I'm currently a Vauxhall V6 driver, which I like. However, I'm in the process of selling it and my house and I'm therefore looking for a new drive. I really like the idea of getting a Legnum or Galant VR4 (I prefer estates because I have dogs and I'm away climbing quite a bit). I'm a little bit tempted also by a Subaru Legacy (GTB) but tempted more towards the Mitsubishi.

Go on, persuade me to get the Mitsy!

Andi

Nick VR4
24-10-2006, 10:03 AM
Hi Andi and /Welcome2 to the Forum

Plenty of information in here and you wont regret getting a VR4 :2thumbsup

Axeboy
24-10-2006, 10:06 AM
Welcome mate.

Drive both cars before purchase :)

Spirit
24-10-2006, 10:10 AM
Hi Andi

Lets hope we welcome you to VR4 ownership soon. :pimp2:

As advised, try both and see what you think.......I reckon you will prefer the VR4 :2thumbsup

ritch_w
24-10-2006, 10:37 AM
Hi Andi

welcome to the club

you know u want to!, go on!
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19536

Andi T
24-10-2006, 10:48 AM
Cheers,

Would definitely try both vehicles first, but the fact that I see more of the VR4's than the Subaru GTB around kind of fills me with a bit more hope in the event that something goes wrong. I'd hate to be stuck with a car that was almost impossible to get parts for.

Thanks for the nice welcome, I think it's only a matter of time now anyway!

Andi

Roadrunner
24-10-2006, 12:02 PM
I've had a Subaru Legacy RS-B (saloon version of the GT-B) and now on my second VR-4. Both excellent cars, but I much prefer the VR-4 because a) it's better built and the quality of the interior is better, b) it is more comfortable - proper Recaros in mine, c) Mitsubishi dealers can service the VR-4 whereas Subaru dealers won't touch a twin-turbo Legacy with a barge pole, d) ClubVR4 :D for the world's best knowledgebase about the cars.

I got rid of my Subaru because I couldn't get any technical help to solve a boost problem. The dealers are prohibited by International Motors (the UK distributor for Subaru) from touching imports (despite their directors running twin-turbo Legacies themselves ;) ) and the only knowledgeable people about these cars were based in Hong Kong and Japan. For that reason, I'd hesitate to have another Legacy.

Cheers,
Brian

Andi T
25-10-2006, 10:22 AM
Yeah, that was pretty much the information I was given too. I take it that it is easier to get the VR4 serviced then?

Cheers.

Roadrunner
25-10-2006, 10:29 AM
Definitely. Any Mitsubishi dealer will be able to service them, but better to find one that has experience of doing so because some of the irregular items (e.g. AYC fluid change) needs someone who knows what they're doing. It's not necessary to have a dealer to service the car - I have mine serviced by a private garage (albeit one to whom the local Mitsubishi dealer sends all their Evos because they lack the experience that he does ;) ). I don't know where you live, but you can ask on this site if anyone can recommend a garage near to you.

pezza
25-10-2006, 05:18 PM
I was, as am sure others may have had, the VR4 vs legacy (B4 RSK/ GTB) debate and decided on VR4 having had 2 V6 - 24s before. I was always being told about how the subaru would wipe the floor with the mitsu in performance and aftermarket mods availability ... .

Just read THIS (http://www.driver.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=33977) on another forum. Makes a change someone rootin' for our corner.

bradc
25-10-2006, 07:21 PM
Having driven both, I found the Subaru's were not as linear as the VR-4 in their power delivery, the smaller engine and the sequential setup feels really strange and is not as satisfying as a VR-4. Other than that they are similar cars really.

Roadrunner
25-10-2006, 08:49 PM
I was always being told about how the subaru would wipe the floor with the mitsu in performance ...
Oh, my Subaru was a lot quicker than the VR-4 when the big turbo kicked in (anything over 4k revs in any gear) - 5 seconds for any 40mph increment (40-80, 60-100, 80-120, 100-140) which was seriously quick. It took me a couple of months to get used to the smoother power delivery of the VR-4 and that, coupled with the complete fail-safe of AYC in any weather, also means I'd hesitate to go back to the Subaru. Also, there's something about the AWD system in the Subaru (coupled with the ABS) that can send the damn things sideways in an instant under certain circumstances ... (e.g. start drifting it round a roundabout in the wet and lift off sharply - then be prepared for a big sideways moment ;) )

Axeboy
25-10-2006, 10:46 PM
Did autocar not test them both head to head and the vr4 was a lot quicker?

Im sure they did, vr4 vs RSk

Roadrunner
26-10-2006, 07:14 AM
I drove a B4 RSK and it wasn't as quick as my RS-B, don't know why, maybe it's a heavier car. My RS-B was a manual, quoted 0-60mph from the factory at 4.8s :)

Andi T
26-10-2006, 06:32 PM
[QUOTE=pezza]I was, as am sure others may have had, the VR4 vs legacy (B4 RSK/ GTB) debate and decided on VR4 having had 2 V6 - 24s before. I was always being told about how the subaru would wipe the floor with the mitsu in performance and aftermarket mods availability ... .

I feel confused now after reading that! I need an estate, but one which is good all round not just on motorways as I live in the moorlands...decisions, decisions.

Axeboy
26-10-2006, 06:40 PM
Vr4 is generally the better option, and im not just saying that.

Conaboy had a Legacy TT RS and while it was a nice enough car, its wasnt a patch on the vr4...

So he bought mine, and I bought another.

H7 seems to have had a good rare one,...

conaboy
26-10-2006, 06:45 PM
Yep, Legacy was a great car for the money but not a patch on the VR-4.

Andi T
26-10-2006, 08:43 PM
That's what I want to be hearing. Wonder if I'd get the same response on the Subaru website....

In my heart of hearts I know it has to be the VR4 but I'd hate to regret it, but do prefer so much more about them.

Roadrunner
26-10-2006, 08:45 PM
I was always being told about how the subaru would wipe the floor with the mitsu in performance and aftermarket mods availability ... .

My Subaru was definitely quicker than the VR-4, but there are very few after-market mods for the twin-turbo Scoobies. A wide-bore cat-back system will kill its performance, as I found out to my cost ;) and that's about it. Loads of stuff around for Imprezas, sod all for Legacies.

pezza
26-10-2006, 09:37 PM
I was, as am sure others may have had, the VR4 vs legacy (B4 RSK/ GTB) debate and decided on VR4 having had 2 V6 - 24s before. I was always being told about how the subaru would wipe the floor with the mitsu in performance and aftermarket mods availability ... .

I feel confused now after reading that! I need an estate, but one which is good all round not just on motorways as I live in the moorlands...decisions, decisions.

Thats what I was being told that about the legacy, but I would truly listen to people who have owned (and not just driven) both cars... I do not regret for one minute having bought the galant. The car's whole presence sound performance and looks is enough to be honest. Not to mention that with a boost controller on the car it feels like a rocket and it handles so well for a big car. :evilgrin:

Its my daily driver and for work its usually packed full of servers/equipment. the estate has amazing loading capacity and doesn't complain about heavy loads. It is a practical motor... (fuel consumption can be a tad heavy but depends how much you rag it and with the wieght and performance , well can't have it all)

Take the opportunity to drive both cars if you can...

Axeboy
26-10-2006, 09:49 PM
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=564&highlight=rsk

"And it’s not only through the twisting stuff that the Legacy loses out. A noticeable trough of turbo lag below 3500rpm allows the Galant’s six-cylinder grunt to pull out half a cars length over the Legacy, and by the time the Subaru’s boxer engine has called upon its second turbo at 4500rpm, the VR4 is two, nearly three lengths further down the road. Subaru’s claim for the RSK-B4 reaching 60 in under 6secs is as bold as the Mitsubishi’s 6.7secs claim for the same discipline is conservative."

This was the case in my experience.... i reckon H7's was a rare good legacy.

Alex
27-10-2006, 10:26 PM
Sorry it's a bit late, but /Welcome2 to CVR4 :)

Roadrunner
28-10-2006, 10:21 AM
i reckon H7's was a rare good legacy.
Maybe because it was owned by Fuji Heavy Industries before I bought it :)