PDA

View Full Version : Urgent GB oil change question (about Kierans guide)

Ollpen
25-10-2006, 04:29 PM
Sorry for posting here and not under the article section, feel free to move this post to the end of the articles from tomorrow :)

Im changing my oil tonight and it feels like this section is read more often than the article one, hense the off/on-topic.

Anyways, im doing a full change using Kierans guide. Question is though, why are we changing the sump oil before we pump out the rest of the oil?
Wouldnt I in theory get it all recycled just starting up with the drain in the outlet and the oil in the inlet and let the car take care of the changing?

Also, can someone clarify exactly what pipes to use for inlet and outlet as this seems to be debated in the flush thread? Any help would be much appreciated as i only have 11litres of Amsoil left and i dont intend to order a new batch just yet.

Thread im reffering to is linked here:
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10475

Feel free to post your replies in that thread if this is considered sensitive members only information, and for everyone who cannot read that thread due to being non-members, just imagine what you miss by not signing up /Hyper

/thankyou

Kieran
25-10-2006, 07:53 PM
The problem is that when you open up one of the cooler lines, you'll find that although fluid pumps out quickly, the other end won't 'suck' the fluid back in quickly enough - it's not a totally closed system you see. Hence, you dump the dirty fluid out of the sump, and when you 'pump out', the remaining fluid is replaced with the fresh stuff from the sump.

Also... if you *could* interrupt the system and get fluid going in at the same rate it's pumped out, you'd be wasting fluid - as the return line from the gearbox cooler goes back to the sump. So, your fresh fluid would be mixed with whatever crap is still in the sump almost instantly!

As for the correct cooler line....

In this post here (members only), I've labeled the wrong connection (I must edit that!! /pan). That is the 'pumping' side from the gearbox TO the oil cooler.

The 'pumping' side of the RETURN from the cooler is the pipe that is closest to the radiator in that picture. Basically, you see how there are two 'loops' of rubber hose? You interrupt the 'other' loop, and you drain off from the other end, not the one near the battery tray.

Hope that's clear?!:inquisiti

K

Ollpen
25-10-2006, 08:59 PM
Absolutely Sir!

Big thanks for your help, ill give you feedback if anything goes wrong :P

:iloveyou: