PDA

View Full Version : Don't smoke ... otherwise you are off the road.

KiwiTT
26-10-2006, 03:52 AM
NZ Herald (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=1&ObjectID=10407728) reports
Vehicle smoke test set to begin
3.00pm Thursday October 26, 2006

The controversial new smoke test for vehicles during warrant of fitness inspections starts tomorrow.
The test involves a visual check of smoke emitted while a vehicle idles for five seconds, then while accelerating from idle to 2500rpm, associate transport minister Judith Tizard said.
If the vehicle emits clearly visible smoke for five seconds or more it will fail the warrant and need to be tuned or repaired before it can pass.
The test is part of a campaign to "choke the smoke" and reduce vehicle pollution. Age limits on imported Japanese vehicles are also being considered.
Ms Tizard has said vehicle pollution costs the country $442 million a year and contributes to the death of 400 people, including 250 Aucklanders.
It is estimated that about 10 per cent of vehicles produce 40 per cent of the harmful vehicle emissions. A poorly maintained vehicle can release 10 times more emissions than a well-maintained one.
The new vehicle emission rule has been made under the Land Transport Act 1998. The test will take less than a minute and any increase in costs of warrants should be small.
The test, designed to improve air quality, has been criticised in some quarters for being subjective.Better keep our cars tuned.

0TNIC
26-10-2006, 04:03 AM
Makes you wonder how many more people are going to drive around without warrants now...

The tougher they get the better for most people but more people run around without warrants which means unsafe cars with higher risk of a crash!

You cant win either way!

bradc
26-10-2006, 04:37 AM
What VR-4 can accelerate from idle to 2500rpm and take more than 5 seconds? You would have to have a very light throttle foot to do that, and that sort of evades the whole point of the test doesn't it?

NAUSED
26-10-2006, 08:34 AM
well its a good thing i got a new exhaust put on cause police pulled me up for my other one being too loud, which it wasn't it was cause he was too old... :laugh:, $250 bucks /Grrr but no worries i'm getting off it so :2thumbsup

konman
26-10-2006, 10:13 PM
in my opinion our cars dont smoke if properly maintained, and only smoke (fuel, dark smoke) when fanging the hell out of them on full boost, but thats to be expected (i hope). but what really rips my undies is if a cars going to smoke it will do so more harmfully under load, so free revving it in a workshop isnt really going to show up a problem, only the real heaps will smoke then