PDA

View Full Version : knocking sound

Darrell
27-10-2006, 09:41 PM
Hi can someone provide some advice. I have a knocking/clunk sound when travelling at slow speed, only evident when passing over bumpy road, can sort of feel it through the steering wheel.
I have new tyres, so wheel balance, alignment is done. Still occured after these were done, so that's eliminated.
I have have numerous things changed like new shocks, swaybar links, 3 rubber bushes, right ball joint arm.
It's on the drivers side.
I can live with it but would like to know what is the cause and if it is a generic fault across the Mitsubishi legnum model range.
One theory I have come up is that it may have been in an accident before I bought it as the bonnet is slightly different colour. Could this have put something out of alignment?
I'm just curious that's all, I'm not going to spend any more money as it's not getting any worse.
I had different rims/mags changed after I got the car but that was done through mag and turbo warehouse so I don't think thats got anything to do with it, but it wasn't evident before this was done, maybe just coincidence it started there and then after the change over.
Well, your expertise is appreciated. cheers.

Darrell
27-10-2006, 09:50 PM
Forgot to mention, my friend did all the work for me as he is a mechanic and he's checked all the obvious of what it could be and ensured everything is tight. I took it to another place for a second opinion and they couldn't find the problem.
I took it to a shock shop and some young guy there reakon it was the shocks without a doubt without having a look or testing it and after I get my friend to change the shocks for me it was still occuring.

Wodjno
27-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Are both of your inner wheel guards intact ?

tig202
27-10-2006, 11:09 PM
Just a quick question Darrel,
When the front shocks were changed did they inspect the upper shock mounts?

Darrell
28-10-2006, 07:11 AM
My friend replaced the front shocks, I'm unsure if that was checked.
Inner guards should be find as everything is standard on my car, it doesn't occur when I turn or anything.
It's like a clunk noise, irritating at times like something is loose as I said before you can feel it travel through the steering column.
Wheres a good place in Wellington to take it to? I really don't want to spend any more money, but would really be keen to find out the problem, surely someone else out there has experienced this?

Subaru ETA
29-10-2006, 05:23 AM
i would be looking at upper shock mounts dude

Darrell
29-10-2006, 11:13 PM
Cheers, I'll get that checked out one day, next time it's in the garage. How can you tell if it's that? can you see if it's worn? etc.... What would happen if I leave it? what would be the worse case scenario?

tig202
30-10-2006, 02:08 AM
What would happen if I leave it? what would be the worse case scenario?

Your going to be on 1st name terms with your tyre supplier:afro:

I-S
02-11-2006, 05:03 PM
I had a clonking noise like this. Believe it or not, it was the brake disc (not incorrect installation... they were re-installed twice and it still occurred. Changed discs and immediately it went away and stayed away). Try swapping your brake discs over next time you fiddle with something in the suspension and see if the noise swaps sides.

CANDEE
02-11-2006, 10:06 PM
Wheres a good place in Wellington to take it to?

You could go and see Ron at Total Performance in Petone, hes very experienced with suspension/brakes etc and also mitsis inparticular.. :happy:

d i c k i e s
08-11-2006, 03:11 AM
What would happen if I leave it? what would be the worse case scenario?

it would get worse IMHO. pays to get it looked at.. ummm thats a tuffy.
is your car manual?. my girlfirends uncle had the same thing. but his was a huge clonk! something like he went over those juddar bars real quick and something made a noise from the engine bay. like every time he changed gear you would hear this clonk. it would go away after you accelerate away. but when changing gears you could hear and feel it. it was bad... not sure how he got it fixed. dont think it was suspension. thought i cant remember what he did. :thinking:

Darrell
08-11-2006, 06:19 AM
It's an auto...I would say it is more likely suspension problem, but just a matter of locating it!. I wonder if those shock/suspension diagnostics machines would find it?..even a slight kerb, ie- when reversing out from garage there is an approx 20mm kerb drop, you can hear it clunk. If you drive back and forth over it you can hear it. As my driveway is slightly downhill when reversing you can hear it rattle/clunk away! other than that the car drives perfect. I haven't noticed any unusual tyre wear yet.

KEENY
15-11-2006, 06:03 AM
i think i have the same rattle/clunking noise as you. i to have had the swing arm the ball joints and the brake pads done on my car.
although now i think about it i dont recall hearing the noise before getting the brake pads changed. and i do remember hearing a bloody loud clunk when i first used the brakes after the pads had been done. it never happend after that so i never thought anything of it (untill i looked at what isaac said)

i dont really hear the noise at high speeds or when i go over speed bumps. its mainly driving slow on a slighty bumpy road. it kinda sounds like its coming from passenger side.

one more thing i dont feel the juddering through the stearing but if i drive my car in a stright line and take my hands away from the wheel it pulls to the passenger side. but the garage says that the tracking is within the limits.

hmmmm maybe i will have the brake pads looked at.

I-S
15-11-2006, 07:20 PM
Keeny - your problem sounds like caliper seizing issues. Do you get rattle/clicking/cracking sort of noises when braking gently at low speed?

Try pumping the brakes HARD with the ignition off, and see if the problem goes away temporarily.

Gly
16-11-2006, 06:58 AM
well mine was making a hell of alot of clunking...

so i decided to take off the wheel and have a noisey.....

i had two issues....

1) brake caliper bolts had come loose (the ones holding it to the carrier)

2) tie rod end is stuffed!

ive fixed number 1, and 90% of the clunking is gone...
ill have to pick up a new tie rod end tomorrow,

Subaru ETA
17-11-2006, 05:47 AM
haha the day i traded in the str for the vr4 i did a u turn to get into the car yard and it let out an almighty clunk...sounded like the balljoint went south all of a sudden!
got $6990 as a trade on that!

KEENY
20-11-2006, 03:39 PM
tried pumping the brakes hard for about 2 mins and the noise was still there. bugger!!

Bal
22-11-2006, 05:40 PM
iv got the same issue, myself mo and richyrich have had a ganders as have the mitsi guys in oxford ... to date the problem part hasnt been identified and i now consider it an "added feature" lol.