30-10-2006, 10:54 PM
Who says microsoft doesn't have a sense of humour

BraindG
30-10-2006, 11:08 PM
hehe :) i like it

bradc
31-10-2006, 07:19 AM
lol thats a good one :)

iyho Richard, what do you think of the two new browsers?

Polabear
31-10-2006, 02:09 PM
iyho Richard, what do you think of the two new browsers?

Sorry to hijack chaps but it would be interesting to know what peoples opinions of ie7 are, havn't heard many good things about it so far. I am at present running on Opera 9.2 from Firefox, l do like firefox, stable, fast, and was told that opera was even quicker as a browser, anyone got any opinions or thoughts on opera or indeed one browser over another../thankyou

Si.
31-10-2006, 03:07 PM
Well I'll jump in on the browser views.

Personally I think IE7 is a very nice browser and from a designer / developer point of view they have made vast leaps in the right direction with it in the way it renders css and displays web pages as a whole. Looks stunning IMO.

Problem is, like with all good software packages, familiarity is the key, and Microsoft have made this version just too unfamiliar in my eyes. Vast differences in the way it looks, positioning of button and menus make it hard to use and get used to.

Firefox always rendered and looked very good, but it had a familiar feel to it. It works slightly differently, but things are the same places as you would expect them do, and its not hard to use in anyway.

IE7 is good competition for Firefox 1.5, but I'm using Firefox 2.0, which again looks very familiar but has increased functionality and slicker usage. The built in spell checker rocks!!

Opera is nice all the same, but again is too unfamiliar, operates in strange ways and is quick hard to get used to to do everyday tasks. Firefox wins hands down for me, its the easiest to use, most flexible, most useful and most all the most standards compliant, which is important in my line of work.

Sorry to hijack and write an essay /pan

BraindG
31-10-2006, 03:13 PM
Sorry to hijack and write an essay /pan

No need, good points raised. Its all about familiarity if you ask me, why do people keep buying nokia phones? Cos the menu system has hardly ever changed, and they can jump from one phone to the other.

Ive never installed IE7, but i have seen it and that was enough to put me off. FF2 is as you say, newer, updated and yet keeps the same appearance, FF FTW!

stuartturbo
31-10-2006, 08:09 PM
when i went to firefox i could not see the what difference it would make
I thought I'd try it just once still using it preferential over IE6
Just upgraded to firefox 2 and the changes they have made are better in my eyes
Spell check and opening in new tab rather than new window silly one but with 2 littlens running about the search facility from a right click is great.

I shall not bother with IE7 now but is that not tabbed browsing also now Ideas from elsewhere:inquisiti

KiwiTT
31-10-2006, 09:28 PM
what do you think of the two new browsers?I think I made my opinion known. i.e. deleted IE7.

I have used Firefox, since before it was called Firefox (Phoenix/Firebird)

Springie
01-11-2006, 08:47 AM
Opera for me, i like it better than Firefox. Back a few years ago i used netscape but i don't like the newer versions.

My preferences are..

Opera > Firefox > IE

I only use IE if i absolutley have too.

Polabear
02-11-2006, 10:36 AM
Well it looks like its going to be FF2 all the way for me now too, after spending too long trying to get Opera to log me into my mail...if I can't sort it in ten minutes then thats it ..history ( just kept me going round in login circles) ...I also aggree that for site design and development ff2 has all the right things in the right places that let you prove sites as they are being developed.. good points from everyone....:2thumbsup