PDA

View Full Version : Vtnz

Trow
31-10-2006, 01:14 AM
Hey folks,

I took the beast in yesterday to get it warrented and the bloke tried to fail me on having the dark tints, after a 10 minute argument around the fact it is Mitsi standard (and him trying to prove otherwise) I got away with it. It did fail on a burst steering rack boot though /Grrr

It's good they do a thourough check of the car but sometimes it seems to be a wee bit anal!

all good....

btw,

hello to all I haven't spoken to in a while :2thumbsup

Subaru ETA
31-10-2006, 05:43 AM
mate old men at testing stations are just angry coz there backs are too sore to be mechanics anymore! plus side is that hte rack boot is a 15 min job!

Lucas
31-10-2006, 05:47 AM
I had quite the opposite experience. Had to take the car in for a WOF at VTNZ only a couple weeks after the new exhaust noise laws were introduced. Sat there revving it which was EASILY heard in the waiting room yet not even a murmer when the guy came and saw me. Silencer was in but not welded as I've been told they like.

Actually come to think of it today one of our work vehicles went in for a WOF and failed due to a having only one directional tyre at the rear and because the washer bottle was empty and they "could not test it to see if it was working" They seriously made my work mate fill it up /haz

mpau009
31-10-2006, 06:05 AM
Yeah iv found it can be really hit or miss, iv had those rear windows checked twice, and they always spend ages on my cars compared to the rest. But at work we have to get hundreds of trailer warrants, one got sent to us for having no brake lights, when we jacked it up the springs on one side just fell out because the bolts were all cracked but it had passed half an hour earlier.. It really makes me wonder.

Still if i'm gonna be going flat out round a corner id rather they went for the overkill approach:thinking:

Gly
31-10-2006, 06:49 AM
easy way to fix issues with vtnz/onroad...

dont go there :D

bradc
31-10-2006, 07:14 AM
yep Gly is right ;)

agilroy
31-10-2006, 07:29 AM
Im a Mechanic.. In the trade we have a saying..

Testing stations are the retirement home for had been Mechanics that
cant keep up with the new Technology...... I have seen this in the trade, its more than just a saying

Trow
31-10-2006, 08:57 AM
Im a Mechanic.. In the trade we have a saying..

Testing stations are the retirement home for had been Mechanics that
cant keep up with the new Technology...... I have seen this in the trade, its more than just a saying

That's brilliant... and true!!!

Yeh, I dont mind them checking steering, brakes etc but when it comes to standard tints they are just OTT

NAUSED
31-10-2006, 09:04 AM
did you go to the vtnz on paul mathews road

Trow
31-10-2006, 11:38 PM
nah I went to the one at mount wellington, it's just down at the bottom of my work...

d i c k i e s
01-11-2006, 04:25 AM
VTNZ sucks... see what i mean.. they try pin ya for things that arent even "you know" bad!

like i was saying in another thread, they failed me on a condinsation in my indicator light. (stupid) people can still see me indicating orks fine, but the fact it had condisation in the bulb sucked..

Xeroid
01-11-2006, 09:10 AM
The Leggie is due late November, might take it in early so I got some time to sort any 'problems' out. They seem to leave us older guys alone, wear my tie and suit and no one says a dickie boo. Bit worried about my factory tints although I reckon they are mint to drive with.:2thumbsup

Laughed last time I took Liz's VR4 in, they tried to lift the front suspension by levering it up with a piece of 4x4 to look for play in the mounts ...broke the 4x4 hahahahahaha:speechles

Then when they did the brake test it became a 'break' test, it broke the brake tester. Front disks were too much for the rolling drum machine, it popped a drive bearing ...heheheheh:evilgrin:

Fingers crossed with the Leggie, it will be all nice and shiny when it goes in and I'll pretend to be an old fart, buit hard when it's got Ralliart all over it ... LOL:laugh:

bradc
01-11-2006, 06:53 PM
Just don't go to vtnz, take it to a reputable place (ie not a ****ty little shop on the corner type thing) and you will be fine. I've been taking my cars to places like pitstop similar places for years, they do know about cars, and they understand about things like factory tints and exhausts.

Trow
01-11-2006, 10:28 PM
Yep I agree with that... I wont be going back to VTNZ.

strange though, one of the guys that works with me took his 1990 CBR250 down and passsed in 5 min's.. the thing is knackered.. his forkseals are leaking bad.

d i c k i e s
02-11-2006, 12:45 AM
well yeah, thats another story itself. i think VTNZ is just to "SAFETY OPERATED" everything must be safety to drive, which i agree.. but if ur gonna ping someone like me for damn condisation in the indicator light... come on...

OSiRiS
08-11-2006, 08:43 PM
I don't go to VTNZ simply because they can be so anal.

However, the time that I did have to goto VTNZ was when my car was green stickered when I lost my licence. At the time it was fairly stock (lucky me LOL) and he tried to do me for the tints also. He used a little machine that checks how many % of light passes through the window and I smiled when it was 20% lol lowest % legally is 35% on a private passenger vehicle.

He claimed they were too dark and he had to take them off, I said fine go for it and he tried peeling them. Good luck to that LOL after about 5 minutes I told him to roll the window down and have a look at the edges if it's tint or not. He got over himself and put a new WOF sticker on my car ;)

Re: your steering rack boot -I did an article on how to swap it. Very easy. Search for it :)

tig202
09-11-2006, 02:14 AM
Yep I agree with that... I wont be going back to VTNZ.

Could I change your mind bro?:afro:

Pete M
09-11-2006, 05:07 AM
My Legnum has dark (privacy) tint on the windows behind the front doors, but the front doors are lighter. Do some cars come out from Japan with the same tint on front and back doors? I've never had hassle about the tint levels from testing stations.