PDA

View Full Version : a banging problem.

KEENY
31-10-2006, 10:36 PM
i took my galant to mitsi dealer and they said that there was a slight banging noise coming form the car.

i hadnt really noticed as i always have stereo on. but they was right there is a banging noise coming from the car.

the battery doesnt have a brace so i thought it could be that moving about. so i tied it down using cable ties and its still making the noise.

my brother took the car to a friends tyre exsaust place where he lifted the car on a ramp to check the exsaust wasnt banging about. again no problems there.

the only other thing i can think of is the car had a new gear box fitted before i got hold of it. is it possible something was not put in place that would cause it to bang around?

or has anyone ever heard a banging type rattling noise when driving?

konman
01-11-2006, 08:02 PM
sway bar bushing missing? sometimes they bump clunk.

dragonback
02-11-2006, 04:03 PM
hi there just noticed mine is knocking as well on the passenger side i think its the lower ball joint.
its going to the garage soon as got problems with the gearbox making noises, all my problems started when i hit a pothole covered by water, am going to try to claim for damages against the local council as was on a main road.
if i find anything out sooner will let you know

nathan

KEENY
02-11-2006, 09:45 PM
yeah my noise does seem to come from the passenger side also. both my ball joints have been repaired not that long ago but i cant remember if i have always had the noise before it was fixed.

but please keep my informed whith what happends with your car. thx

Kenneth
02-11-2006, 10:16 PM
No problems with banging here... or bush... or balls for that matter :D

There does seem to be a fair bit of high pitched noise though...:thinking:

KEENY
05-11-2006, 10:16 PM
my old man has had a listen to the problem and he seems to think the big ends are going.

pitslayer
06-11-2006, 01:34 AM
best way to check if your big ends in the engine have gone without stripping it down is to.
start the car, get a screw driver, put the screwdrive onto the rocker cover(as if undoing a screw) hold it there, and stick your ear on the screwdriver, now i know it seems daft, but you will be suprised what you can hear, that will tell you if its bigend. if its not constant banging then unlikely to be big end, wouldnt rule it out thow.

if its going over a bumper, check the shocks are mounted properly, if its like an FTO then they do have to go in a specific way, if they been taken out, id go with suspension really. can you describe the problem a bit better, dont get what you mean its banging, at what points is it banging, when does it bang etc

KEENY
09-11-2006, 05:56 AM
its like a rattling type of banging and it happends when the road surface is not smooth.

White Lightning
09-11-2006, 09:02 AM
its like a rattling type of banging and it happends when the road surface is not smooth.

If that is the case I would find it hard to believe that it's the big end bearings ... we are changing the engine on mine at the moment as we suspect my big end bearings are shot. Mine made a horrible rattle noise at anything above a particular rpm regardless of whether the car was stationary or moving.

pitslayer
09-11-2006, 12:42 PM
thats what i thought and said, veryunlikely to be the big end. if its a rattle, it could be like mine which i was told, is usually more than likely to be the plastic in arches, if its a metal rattle, it could be your anti squeal pads on your brakes.
and no offence to your old man, but if he says something is going, get a second opinion, the amount of times ive had mates, saying there car is knackered, and ill say the problem is so and so, there old man will say something different, and usually there wrong. eg "mate" told me he drove his fiesta, and it made a horrible rattling noise, and lost all power, i said dropped valve, his dad said fueling problem or exhaust....they then replaced the exhaust system, fueling system, still made noise. and found he had dropped a valve. he then crushed the car. so just a word of advise on that, always get second opinions, again no offence to your old man.

shame its not a flat four. my heart unfortunatly lies with classic aircooled vws. and there just the best engines to work on. blew 2 piston rings in one engine, dropped engine out of car 15 minutes. heads of within 15 minutes both sides, barrels off pistons of 8 minutes. replace rings half hour, there buggers to do lol. with the engine wedged down on the floor so it cant move, grab hold of the conrods on one side and wiggle them back and forth, check your end float, if the cranks got end float the big ends gone. reassemble engine half hour, put back in 20 mins....so easy

would definatly go for suspension area with this or drivetrain

pitslayer
09-11-2006, 12:42 PM
whoops double post

BraindG
09-11-2006, 12:55 PM
I had a rattle once, from the engine bay, turns out it was a bolt that holds the gearbox onto the engine. If you know, or seen it appart... its the bolt that comes from the engine side into the gearbox, and is then covered up when the transfer box is placed on...

after changing my clutch i found it, and after completing the job, problem solved..

but you have dont have a VR4 :) so prolly wont be...

colVR4
09-11-2006, 01:24 PM
Sounds very similar the noises I had when my tie rods went. The inner tie rods make a metally, banging, griding noise when they are shot. They lose all their grease over time and dry out which makes them wear out and creates a lot of play in them.

The old ones that the garage took off were rattling around in the sockets and would rattle quite loudly, especially at low speeds going round corners.

KEENY
10-11-2006, 12:40 AM
the rattle sound is not like a metal sound it has quite a bit of base to it. it does not do it when the car is stationary but it does it at low and high speeds.

it does sound like its getting worse as in any speed or surface makes it knock.

braindg i think you could be right fella with the gear box. if it is that how much do you think its going to cost me to get it put right?

glynn
02-12-2006, 09:05 PM
Mine too has a banging/rattle coming from the front N/S, been told that it may be an anti-roll bar that has gone. Having it in to the garage next week as its beginning to annoy me now. Will update when the cause is revealed.

Exbury
03-12-2006, 12:26 AM
I used to get banging when going around corners on rough roads or hitting minor potholes on the roads. Ignored it for a while as I didn't think I had time to take the car off the road.

As I sold my 98 2.0 GLS, the Mitsi dealership pointed out that the lower ball joins had gone. Cost £60+VAT each but needed to pass the MOT and sell. Driving it around after the fix really had cleared it up with no more banging.

Pizza
07-12-2006, 07:47 AM
My car makes a rattling sound from the wheels over bumpy roads. Was wondering what it was. the other day while driving over some bumpy roads my brother suggested it might be the brakes. I Tapped on the brakes and the sound went away, and came back as soon as i lifted up. Will take it to a brake shop soon to check it out.

Gly
07-12-2006, 09:49 AM
My car makes a rattling sound from the wheels over bumpy roads. Was wondering what it was. the other day while driving over some bumpy roads my brother suggested it might be the brakes. I Tapped on the brakes and the sound went away, and came back as soon as i lifted up. Will take it to a brake shop soon to check it out.

you brake caliper bolts are loose... the ones that hold it to the carrier!!...

mine did this.... i hadnt tighten them up completely when i worked on the car last... they had undone themselves 2 windings!!

heaps of rattling over bumps... but sound went away when i used the brakes...

take the wheel off and check youself. cheaper than going to a dealer!

Pizza
08-12-2006, 12:24 PM
Thanks will check them out today!

White Lightning
08-12-2006, 01:14 PM
If you know, or seen it apart... its the bolt that comes from the engine side into the gearbox, and is then covered up when the transfer box is placed on...

Oh, Andy and I know all about that particular pesky bolt ...