PDA

View Full Version : Is this a do it yourself job?

avander_be
01-11-2006, 03:58 PM
Hi guys,

One second of distraction and bingo! my Galant has a little headache...

I have to replace the hood and both headlamp sets, they're still functional and unbroken but almost all attachments have been ripped off due to the shock. Fenders seem ok, front bumper... has a bump but nothing serious.

To refit everything straight I think I will need to replace this piece ( how do you call this in English btw?).

http://www.avander.be/images/galant/tole_de_calandre.jpg

Is this piece welded or bolted? TIA for your help.

Nick Mann
01-11-2006, 06:06 PM
Can't give you a certain answer, but best guesses are:

1. Front Slam Panel
2. Welded

Hope it's not too hard to put right.

BraindG
02-11-2006, 11:16 AM
Attached image using the "Upload File from an URL" Feature (for future reference)

Im not to sure what that part is called, might be something in the service manuals though, in the library.

Paul Beazer
02-11-2006, 01:28 PM
The part pictured is definetly welded on, i should know! I mashed mine up earlier this year. I think the front wings bolt onto it, but the chassis is welded to it and the front engine support is bolted onto it.

avander_be
02-11-2006, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the info guys!

I have a Mitsu service manual on CD-ROM and believe it or not but it seems to be the only piece not mentionned... if it's welded maybe it's not considered removeable and therefore not in the manual.

So I guess I'll have to find myself a professionnal...

The crash was not too bad, I put the new bonnet on and new headlamps and even got through the annual test ( you call that MOT I believe).

But if one takes a closer look you definitly can guess what happened, for instance on the left side there's a small gap between the bonnet and the wing, you can put your finger under the bonnet. Should be fixed eventually, but i'm in no hurry.

Paul Beazer
02-11-2006, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the info guys!

I have a Mitsu service manual on CD-ROM and believe it or not but it seems to be the only piece not mentionned... if it's welded maybe it's not considered removeable and therefore not in the manual.

So I guess I'll have to find myself a professionnal...

The crash was not too bad, I put the new bonnet on and new headlamps and even got through the annual test ( you call that MOT I believe).

But if one takes a closer look you definitly can guess what happened, for instance on the left side there's a small gap between the bonnet and the wing, you can put your finger under the bonnet. Should be fixed eventually, but i'm in no hurry.
Probably worth getting a pro to put on the front section, they should make sure everything is in alignment as things can get twisted in a front end impact.

Gly
02-11-2006, 07:32 PM
yep, get a pro to do it..

i smashed the front end of my car....

was $5000 to fix everything and painted. thank god i had insurance.

pitslayer
08-11-2006, 03:35 AM
depends on how skilled you are, im 18 this was my first proper welding job
http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=12095

so it can be done easy enough, i mean your supposed to spot weld things like this on but, if your skilled and use your head, you can use a mig and some flappy discs to take it down and get it to fit perfectly