PDA

View Full Version : 2.0 GLS Manual Gearbox.

Nick Mann
01-11-2006, 10:05 PM
A firend has a GLS which has developed 'noisy bearing syndrome'. Has anyone carried on driving until the box went bang? How long did it last? Is the 2.0 and 2.5 box the same? What about the GDI? Where did you have the boxes reconditioned and how much did it cost? :thinking:

Prizes of reputation points for the best answers...... :pimp2:

Kieran
01-11-2006, 10:27 PM
Hordak's gearbox was still running fine, just noisy last I heard - so it did about 12 months without major surgery.

Might be worth a PM to Steve205gti?

psbarham
01-11-2006, 10:38 PM
i would say it would last until the insides got bored and went to see whats going on in the outside world /pan

Nick Mann
01-11-2006, 10:43 PM
i would say it would last until the insides got bored and went to see whats going on in the outside world /pan

Really? That long? :thinking: :p

The noise has apparently got noticeably worse in the last two weeks. I am going to have a listen on saturday - at least I can compare to the previous cars I have heard the problem on - but I don't know of anyone who has had the internals become external?

psbarham
01-11-2006, 10:48 PM
Really? That long? :thinking: :p

The noise has apparently got noticeably worse in the last two weeks. I am going to have a listen on saturday - at least I can compare to the previous cars I have heard the problem on - but I don't know of anyone who has had the internals become external?
yup really , if your mate turns the stereo up fro long enough ,then they may become the first person the club knows of with inside out gearbox syndrome . sorry i'm feeling really unhelpful tonight

g6acb
01-11-2006, 11:03 PM
this has been touched on before...

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18554&highlight=final+drive

if your mate is looking for a replacement I have a 98 GLS gearbox (68k)

My girlfriend has had enough of my crumpled car living in her garage so i'm going to have to start looking at shifting it for spares / repair or parting it out in the very near future

Kieran
01-11-2006, 11:08 PM
/Vulture mode

Does your GLS have cruise control Adrian?

g6acb
01-11-2006, 11:16 PM
yep

..... but my better, newer, flashier one does not?????

I have briefly looked at a transplant my self but it looks pretty complicated and I would have to butcher / loose my Momo wheel or come up with another cunning plan....

The one thing i get conflicting info on is if the ECU would have to be dragged over as well??

balotz
02-11-2006, 12:09 PM
A firend has a GLS which has developed 'noisy bearing syndrome'. Has anyone carried on driving until the box went bang? How long did it last? Is the 2.0 and 2.5 box the same? What about the GDI? Where did you have the boxes reconditioned and how much did it cost? :thinking:

Prizes of reputation points for the best answers...... :pimp2:

The gearbox on my V6 was noisy for about a month before it completely failed. I had it reconditioned by someone my local mechanic knew for £410, plus £240 fitting!

Nick Mann
02-11-2006, 12:21 PM
this has been touched on before...

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18554&highlight=final+drive

if your mate is looking for a replacement I have a 98 GLS gearbox (68k)

My girlfriend has had enough of my crumpled car living in her garage so i'm going to have to start looking at shifting it for spares / repair or parting it out in the very near future

PM me with how much you want for it?

Cheers!

Paul Beazer
02-11-2006, 01:21 PM
As far as i've been able to tell, bearings tend to die slowly getting noisier as they go. I must admit i've not heard of one in the manuals actually letting go, but im not sure if anyones had the nerve to run one to destruction. I would imagine the bearing will carry on for quite a while before collapsing.
I didnt have the nerve to wait for my v6 one to go, did i nick?! :inquisiti
I think from memory the V6 has higher ratios than the 2.0 and GDI ones so may not match the engines very well.

g6acb
02-11-2006, 09:11 PM
PM me with how much you want for it?

Cheers!

PM'd you a few thoughts

stevec205gti
14-11-2006, 02:03 PM
Hello - long time no speak.....

Hordak's gearbox was indeed a bit noisey when I bought the car off Kieran around last June/July time. The noise stayed about the same until the car went up to Scotland and back (with out me at the helm I hasten to add) and then went very noisey. Not long after that a small gear oil leak appeared and the clutch start slipping something cronic - so I'm assuming that the bearing has got worse and allowed the shaft enough freedom to leak gear oil, which it's currently throwing all over the clutch plate.

Hordak's currently off the road awaiting it's lazy owner to strip the gearbox out and have a proper nosey at what's gone on - but I've not done it yet as I've got my Triumph Spitfire engine in bits all over the garage and space is a bit tight.

Back to how long it'll last - I probably did about 15k after buying the car, and I don't know how much it'd had done on a noisey bearing before I had it.

Exbury
03-12-2006, 12:12 AM
Dont I know the same feeling. At the moment I have just got the manual gearbox out of my 2.5 V6. Basic symptons, noisey box, (grinding/wearing out bearing), did the same as the previous guy, the bearing allowed flex to the shaft seal and let oil into the bell housing and onto the clutch - ruined clutch (although it did need doing anyhow). If you have a good clutch it might be worth getting the box replaced before the oil destroys it.

Box is out, everything external is stripped but still cannot get the bell housing seperated, is there a trick to this??:thinking: /help

Time to remove box around 5 hours with reasonably good tools (electric impact wrench included), would have been quicker if I could have found that pesky bolt hiding by the O/S driveshaft earlier. Turning the shaft by hand and you can hear the gringing of the bearing. Saying that, all the gears were still running fine (high clutch slip though) and there are no metal flakes in the oil or noticeable damage to the parts I can see.

Quotes so far of £375 + VAT and above, not sure why it is so high to just replace the bearings, surely they are not that expensive from Mitsi?

Not sure if there is a write up for this sort of replacement, but if not and I suceed in repairing it myself, will pass on the details....

Kieran
03-12-2006, 12:54 AM
I think V6-24 and V6 Sport owners up and down the country will appreciate your findings, Exbury!

As for the bell housing.... Well, I'm not sure - But have a look at these piccys. They're of an auto box, but as you look at the input shaft, there are several bolts around it - maybe it's these that need coming out?

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12148&page=7

stevec205gti
04-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Exbury - this thread may help you out. Apparently there's a circlip hidden away under the black cover that you need to remove in order to split the box totally - the information is about 2/3rds of the way down the page.

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18554&highlight=manual+gearbox

Hope this helps - and I'll be interested in finding out how you get on as I've got to do the same soon :)

Exbury
04-12-2006, 11:28 PM
Ah-ha, i saw that bung, it looks like a plasticised metal disc, definetly metal under there, hey ho, looks like I might have to remove it. Thanks for this, thats probably exactly what i need to seperate it. May try Wednesday night although it will be about 11pm. Will let you know findings!!

:2thumbsup

There are less bolts inside the bel housing on the manual box, 4 around the input shaft and think another 2-3 holding the box together. Weekend here I come......

Will take some piccies too!! ;)

richy rich
05-12-2006, 09:49 AM
i did this yester day the rubber/metal bung can be got out with a scewdriver.

replacment is only a few £ ill put the part number up when i have it.

Exbury
10-12-2006, 08:23 PM
Ok, success, that tip about the plug was gold-dust as I had dismissed it doing anything....tut, tut.

Anyway, gearbox apart and have taken lots of photos so I can do a full explanation of what I did......when i get a chance. Basically there is a bearing race near the shaft seal and this thing is way, way past its best, faces of the races and the balls themselves are heavily pitted and theres a real lot of play. Getting the bearing off involved a small cold chisel, lump hammer and patience but came off. Yet all the other bearings seem to be fine with miniscule play if any.

I reckon a replacement of this bearing, the shaft seal and possibly the plastic/metal plug (mine is almost undamaged), should allow a rebuild that will do another 80k miles no probs. I would appreciate any part numbers you guys get but now need to find my nearest dealer and get the parts and try to rebuild next weekend.

Any comments welcome, if you need photos urgently let me know, or PM me and will drop my number over. Jason

richy rich
11-12-2006, 08:59 AM
Ive just done this if you need help give me a call number is in my sig bellow.

PS i work nights so the best time to get me is 8/10 in the morning or Friday/sat

Exbury
21-12-2006, 08:32 PM
Just got the parts today (10 days to deliver), wow the difference in bearing play is huge, I will try to cut the old race apart after the repair and show the problem.

Unfortunately it means this Saturday or over Xmas break to try to fix the car, at least the clutch is cleaned up, a new plate fitted and ready for the box. Rich, I may well give you a call, dont want to disturb you over Xmas, so we will see how we go.

Only for my brothers 60k mile focus to blow its head gasket today!!! So as soon as the car port is free.........:speechles

richy rich
22-12-2006, 09:56 AM
if you are replacing the gear box diff bearing you will need to pre load the bearing it is a pain to do but it must be done you need a shim to fit. call me and ill explain.