PDA

View Full Version : A few galant questions before purchase

pfaester
02-11-2006, 02:26 PM
Been reading various galant forums over the past few weeks and decided this was the best place to ask questions if youre european :2thumbsup

Ive been in love with the 8G look for some time now and decided it was time to buy one.

So down to the point. Im interested in the 97' 2.5 V6-24 automatic and im wondering what the difference is compared to the newer 99' 2.4 GDI model? I know its a smoother ride but is it worth the extra 3-5k euros i will have to dish out? Perhaps it has slightly more performance mods available - i dont know.

Im just guessing its not worth it so my next question will be what should i have in the back of my head when i go see the car/test drive it? Im going to find one with around 130k km / 85000 miles on it.

Also the few sport editions ive seen on the german market - is there any difference other than the visual features(bodykit etc).

When everything is said and done i will probably be hitting myself for not moving to the UK and acquire myself a proper vr4 for the 10k+ euros i will be spending. Damn the insane car taxing in denmark! Ive proof read this a couple of times so spelling/grammar errors are free of charge(ive only had a couple hours sleep)

-also the reason i choose automatic is because i know these models will never be speedy without a lot of migraine attacks and a big wallet so why bother with manual. Thanks for your time/input.

Nick Mann
02-11-2006, 02:54 PM
Welcome!

Can't say much about the German market, but the UK market, the sport was different trim, but mechanically the same. A sport would come with a sproty steering wheel, bigger alloys, more aggresive bumper. The non-sport would have leather and cruise control.

The V6 is the better engine, in my opinion. Slightly more power, much more torque and a very smooth drive. A 2.4 GDI will not save much on fuel over the V6, which is very frugal for its size.

Good luck in your search!

Paul Beazer
02-11-2006, 03:06 PM
As nick says, the V6-24 is better engine to go for, GDI is not as refined or torquey as the V6. I personally prefer the post facelift look (front bumper is different) compared to the older pre facelift. The changeover year was round about 2000 for the facelifts.
I wouldnt write off the manual gearbox as these cars arent that slow honest!
Whichever one you chose, im sure you'll enjoy it.
Welcome to the forums and feel free to ask more questions!

bradc
02-11-2006, 08:02 PM
A 1997 V6 will be a 4 speed, whereas the 2.4 gdi ones will most likely be a 5 speed, which makes a reasonable difference. Just something to consider. Nick is right about the engines though, the V6 is better than the 2.4 gdi

Kieran
02-11-2006, 09:03 PM
A 1997 V6 will be a 4 speed, whereas the 2.4 gdi ones will most likely be a 5 speed, which makes a reasonable difference. Just something to consider. Nick is right about the engines though, the V6 is better than the 2.4 gdi

Not quite - only the Japanese got the 5-speed automatic box. All european production used the 4 speed, right up to the end of production, for some bizarre reason.

The Euro-spec 2.4 isn't as economical as the Jap-Spec one and as the others have said, it is perhaps best avoided.

The German version of the Sport is slightly different to the UK-Spec one, depending on the year. It used a Pre-facelift VR-4 bumper and cloth VR-4 interior trim (but no cool bits like the Hi-contrast dash or the MMCS, etc)... Try a private message to a user on here called "Mirko". He's german and should be able to help.:2thumbsup

bradc
03-11-2006, 07:14 AM
ahh ok never knew that. I know that in NZ facelift auto cars came in 5 speed and 4 speed for no logical reason, although I would have assumed 2.4 gdi's would be an import to Germany, weren't gdi's only sold in japan new?

pfaester
03-11-2006, 09:12 AM
cool guys, thanks for the insight!

I-S
03-11-2006, 09:24 AM
weren't gdi's only sold in japan new?

No. They sold detuned GDI 1.8 (Carisma, Space Star, Pinin) and 2.4 (Galant, Spacewagon) engines in europe. They've dropped them now in favour of MPI (Lancer) and MIVEC (Grandis) engines. Euro-spec 2.4GDI was less powerful than JDM 1.8 GDI.

KEENY
03-11-2006, 08:25 PM
the 2.5 v6 engine has a lot more grunt than the 2.4 gdi. which really makes you feel good when you put your foot down and you here that v6 roar.

and thats my 2 sense. i thank u

Kieran
03-11-2006, 09:22 PM
So, just incase that wasn't clear, the 2.4GDi gets the 'knickers' award from the ClubVR-4 jury!/pan

Paul Beazer
03-11-2006, 09:28 PM
So, just incase that wasn't clear, the 2.4GDi gets the 'knickers' award from the ClubVR-4 jury!/pan
Hmmmmm..........
let me think........
Yes.
Bit hypocritical seeing as i've never driven one. I blame K, he told it was poo!!

Kieran
03-11-2006, 09:40 PM
Hmmmmm..........
let me think........
Yes.
Bit hypocritical seeing as i've never driven one. I blame K, he told it was poo!!

Well, the one I drove before I got my GLS certainly wasn't brilliant. The engine felt reluctant and whilst there was more torque than my GLS, it just didn't feel as 'sweet' an engine. For a 2 litre, the GLS unit is like a sewing machine it's that eager!

Also, despite taking it easy on the test drive (you try driving a car in anger when the sales rep's in the back!!), the "GDi ECO" lamp was irritatingly difficult to light up - meaning for most of the time it behaved like any other larger displacement 4-pot.

pitslayer
06-11-2006, 01:43 AM
ive owned 2 mitsi
1.8 GDi carisma, good car, quite powerfull in that car, did about 40mpg sometimes 45mpg, seemed to lack in power thow
2.5 v6 24 galant, 97 model, lots of torque, seriously quick, dont underestimate its power, comfort for driving, well you dont even know your driving its that comfy, its smooth, and then has the power to upset people. and if you boot it, get to 3000rpm turn the stereo off and listen to that V6 powerplant roar in the front sounds so good. and ive had 38mpg out of it with air con on, sometimes in slow traffic, on a good run
there cracking cars, there a quite a rare car to see and to get a hold off, but to be honest, the build qaulity(apart from that bloody dash clock) the drive, the design, the looks, the reliability, the price, is far superior i think to there german counter parts, dont get me wrong bmws audis mercs vw`s good cars, but the galant is far superior in so many ways.
and i dont think any other cars like this come with a petrol cap holder in the flap so you dont scratch your paint, when filling up.

edit: also found with the galant, its not how many miles its done, its how well its been looked after, buy the best you can afford, with the best service history, service history pays off with jap engines, look after them and they will go to the moon and back