PDA

View Full Version : PC datalogger for VR-4 - it works!

AderC
04-11-2006, 03:44 PM
I've been looking into whether there is a PC-based datalogger out there which will work on our cars, which as we know are not OBD-II compliant but use the Mitsi MUT-II protocol. While trawling round the web I came across some software called Evoscan (http://www.limitless.co.nz/evoscan/), which claims to work with all 1996+ Mitsi's, including those that use the MUT-II protocol. This requires an OBD-II cable with a USB-Serial adapter, and I ordered the OpenPort 1.3 Mitsubishi cable from Tactrix (http://www.tactrix.com/) ($89 US). I downloaded the Evoscan software ($25 US), but first attempts with the cable and software were unsuccessful, with connection timeout errors. Then I noticed something on the website about the Evo IV requiring pins 1 and 4 on the OBD socket to be joined. Looking into this further, it became apparent that all that is actually needed is to ground pin 1 as per the manual procedure for extracting fault codes from the VR-4.

I inserted a bent paperclip into the back of the OBD socket where the wire for pin 1 joins the socket, and grounded it out on the metal frame which holds the socket itself. This time, on connecting the cable and running the software, it connected without a problem. Screenshot of Evoscan is below:

uploaded/1988/1162649963.jpg

There are 2 other pieces of software which I've also found that are compatible with this cable and I've tested with the VR-4:

Mitsulogger (http://www.aktivematrix.com/forum/) (which is freeware):

uploaded/1988/1162650092.jpg

and EcuEdit (http://www.epifansoft.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2) (demo version with nag screens):

uploaded/1988/1162650071.jpg

Enjoy!!

aDe

Nick Mann
04-11-2006, 03:46 PM
Good info - well researched.

I can feel a rep point coming your way!

:thumbsup:

Kieran
04-11-2006, 06:04 PM
Good info - well researched.

I can feel a rep point coming your way!

:thumbsup:

That twice!:afro:

"Dear Santa.... For Christmas I would like......."
:thinking2

Axeboy
04-11-2006, 06:41 PM
Great

Cheap kit too...

pezza
04-11-2006, 09:55 PM
Faaantastic! :afro:

AderC
05-11-2006, 01:53 PM
I've now registered the demo copy of EcuEdit. This seems to be the most complete piece of software of the 3 that I've found, as it has it's own graphing capability (although the release version of Evoscan will have this too). The graphing tool will also read the logs from the Evoscan and Mitsulogger. Screenshot below:

uploaded/1988/1162730811.jpg

I also forgot to mention a link in my original post - a lot of the info on the hardware and software I got from the OpenECU (http://forums.openecu.org/index.php) site.

Haven't had much time to actually use the logger yet, just a few minutes sat on the drive once I had it working. I intend to capture a full log on the way to work tomorrow.

aDe

bernmc
05-11-2006, 06:37 PM
oo. wot a clever boy. Have some proper reputation points!

AderC
05-11-2006, 09:22 PM
You wait 18 months for a rep point then 3 come at once :thumbsup:

Cheers guys

aDe

Axeboy
05-11-2006, 10:36 PM
How do you find Ecuedit?

just wondering if you can manage much with the demo?

AderC
05-11-2006, 11:18 PM
The demo does everything that the registered version does, but it has some serious time-delay nag-screens (e.g. 30 secs to connect to ECU, 90 secs to start logging). At the end of the day it's one guy writing the software and trying to make an honest living, so I don't begrudge paying up and registering. Microsoft on the other hand.....

Evoscan is cheaper, but the graphing functionality isn't there yet (but it will be - it's only a prerelease at the mo) and Mitsulogger is freeware. You can always plot the data from either of these in Excel or OpenOffice Calc.

At the end of the day you can set up a laptop datalogger for less than £80 (cable around £60, Evoscan around £14 and Mitsulogger is free).

aDe

Axeboy
05-11-2006, 11:20 PM
It all looks great.

Ive had a look at the ecuedit page, but its hard to find good info, obviously being just a one man operation.

have you fiddled with editing the parameters on the Ecu?

AderC
06-11-2006, 01:48 PM
Haven't tried fiddling with the ECU parameters yet. Bit scary! There's some other software on the OpenECU site called ECUFlash which I think would be needed to download the ROM, but I don't think it's compatible with our processors yet.

Captured a full log on the way to work this morning. Will have a look at this tonight and post it up so people can load a "real" log into the software to try it out (and tell me that my car's running like a bag of poo!)

I used Evoscan to do the logging, as it's quicker to actually start logging than Ecuedit. Once the app is started it's once click to connect to the ECU and start logging. Ecuedit needs a few mouse clicks to get going.

One thing that happens while logging is that all the warning lights (CEL, ABS, AYC, TCL) start flashing when stationary or at low speed (<10mph). It's very disconcerting when stopping at a junction and the dash lights up like a Christmas tree...

aDe

Paul C
06-11-2006, 02:36 PM
One thing that happens while logging is that all the warning lights (CEL, ABS, AYC, TCL) start flashing when stationary or at low speed (<10mph). It's very disconcerting when stopping at a junction and the dash lights up like a Christmas tree...

aDe

The data logger that connects via a palm pilot does this must be normal. I dont think it is possible to flash our ecu's had mine done before but ecu didn't store the changes.

Nutter_John
06-11-2006, 02:48 PM
Yes the issue with our ECU's from what i have read is that we use an eprom and not a flash prom .

Any changes you can make will be lost of power off of the ECU , but if there is a way with the software to reload the settings every time you start the car then you should be ok

Kenneth
06-11-2006, 10:35 PM
There's some other software on the OpenECU site called ECUFlash which I think would be needed to download the ROM, but I don't think it's compatible with our processors yet.

It is not compatible yet... I have tried to download the ROM, but cannot.
When I have the time ill do some research on the forums and see if I can find out some more information, or talk to the guy that does the program.

I have a spare manual ECU too, so if I have to ship it away I can do so.

Davezj
08-11-2006, 02:05 PM
Can anyone feel a group buy coming round.

I looked into this evoscan and all looked ok but but it was the lack of a graphical display that put me off along with i don't have the spare cash to get the cable at the moment. Blew it on a hand held scope and a set IK22's. The IK22's might be a complete waste of money as the info i am getting now from the forum is they are the wrong heat rating, too hot and we need IK24 or even IK27 for seriously moded cars.

good bit of info on the data loggers

cheers dave

Has anyone tried using a standard OBD II with pin 1 grounded? Just a thought.

orionn2o
08-11-2006, 02:38 PM
So we all just need to buy a bunch of cables! Sweet!

orionn2o
08-11-2006, 03:23 PM
Quick question, can this software control or reset codes from the ecu ie the SRS airbag light??

AderC
08-11-2006, 09:33 PM
From what I understand, you can't use an OBDII cable on its own without an interface between the cable and PC as there's a voltage conversion to be done between that used by the OBDII interface and that used by the PC serial cable. The Tactrix cable has this all built in to the cable.

ecuEdit has the fault code reader and reset ECU options on the menu, but haven't got Evoscan installed on my desktop so will check next time I'm on the laptop!

aDe

orionn2o
09-11-2006, 09:12 AM
Yes the conversion is done (i think) by an FTDI 232 circuit which basically converts a type of rs232 signal into usb.

I dont think that is hard to do but getting the software for it to work is the tricky part!

Kieran
09-11-2006, 12:58 PM
Just a quick question.... Are the parameters correct for the VR-4? Reason I ask is that on the Mitsulogger the 'Injector Scale' setting is greyed out at 513 - whereas, (on the assumption this is Injector CCs) we have 390 ones. Does Evoscan have some adjustability (if needed?)

AderC
09-11-2006, 01:44 PM
I think Mitsulogger allows you to change the Injector Scale before you start logging, then it's greyed out while actually logging. The screenshots are "live" shots of logging in progress.

Having looked at the log I captured in Evoscan the other day, it's apparent the some of the parameters are incorrect for the VR-4 (e.g. my max speed according to the log was 60mph, and let's just say I know I went faster than this :evilgrin: ). There's a text file (XML I think but I'll check later) which holds all the parameters and this is editable. Maybe once we've got the parameters correct we could persuade the bloke to repackage as a VR4-specific version (Leggy-logger?!)

I need to capture full logs using Ecuedit and Mitsulogger to compare with the Evoscan log, but I just haven't got round to it yet. Dark nights don't help! Shame about the time of year that this has stuff been found as it would have been useful to look at all this at one of the shows...

aDe

Davezj
10-11-2006, 02:31 PM
Does evoscan, ecuedit, mitsulogger, have the option of selecting which port is used on the pc for data collection e.g. USB (which is plug and play), Com1, com2, com3, ect, like most data loggers. Or is it USB only.
The reason i ask is i can rewire my OBDII cable that plugs into my com1, and use that, if all that is required is pin 1 grounded and a bit of software to read the mitsi flavour of protocol, which is mitsilogger or evoscan

cheers dave

back again, it would have helped if i had checked the screen shot as top left is the com 1, com 2 selection.
so i will give it a go.

AderC
10-11-2006, 10:07 PM
I don't think a standard OBDII cable will work without an interface between cable and PC (there's some voltage conversion to be done between the OBD and the RS-232).

Just to clarify Kieran's question about adjustability - all 3 pieces of software are configured via XML files, so parameters are all fully editable.

aDe

Davezj
12-11-2006, 11:14 PM
i did stated in my post above that i have an OBDII cable that already plug directly into my PC com1 port. so it must have the apropriate signal convertion hardware built in to it already to convert from OBDII to RS232 signal levels.
I was asking if anyone had tried using such a cable with one of the pieces of software listed above, with pin 1 grounded.

I have another question,

Does mitsulogger work with win98 as i have installed it on XP which worked and then on my diagnostic laptop win98 and it came up with errors when trying to install it. and yes i did put .net frameworks 2 on it before trying to install it as the mitsulogger requests.

I already use digimoto with ISO interface on it and that work great on a car that supports an OBDII ISO flavour (My jeep and friends Volvo)

AderC
13-11-2006, 08:57 PM
I don't think Mitsulogger will work without the Openport cable. I think it will only search for an FTDI USB-Serial interface and doesn't give you the option to select a COM port. You don't say what the errors are - is it complaining about FTDI drivers?

ecuedit website claims it supports OBDII cables as well as the Openport, and Evoscan has COM1/COM2/FTDI options on the main screen.

aDe

Davezj
16-11-2006, 01:54 PM
Cheers for the info, i will give it go and see.

I will let you all now what happens.

any ideas on the win98 issue.

cheers dave

richy rich
17-11-2006, 10:30 AM
well done ader ive just read this thread have some more repoints

AderC
03-12-2006, 03:35 PM
Finally got round to posting some log file examples so people can play with the software using real VR-4 logs:

EcuEdit (http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/aclacher/files/ecuEdit_19-Nov-07.csv)
Evoscan (http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/aclacher/files/EvoScan_19-Nov-06.csv)
Mitsulogger (http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/aclacher/files/Mitsulogger_19-Nov-06.csv)

I've also come across another piece of software for viewing and interpreting the log files called DataLogLab (http://www.dataloglab.com/), which looks the MUT's nuts (no pun intended! :) ) There's a config file on the Mitsulogger (http://www.aktivematrix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=70) website which allows DataLogLab to read in both Mitsulogger and Evoscan logs directly.

aDe

AderC
10-12-2006, 09:07 PM
I've had a play with DataLogLab this weekend after capturing a power-run in Evoscan (accelerate from 1500rpm to redline with pedal to metal as per the DataLogLab instructions).

I've entered the data for the VR-4 as follows (feel free to let me know if any numbers are incorrect as I'm sure some will be - I'm especially unsure on the drag coefficient as I remember reading this somewhere but can't recall where):

uploaded/1988/1165780669.jpg

and

uploaded/1988/1165780688.jpg

The power curve produced from DataLogLab:

uploaded/1988/1165780635.jpg

Figures don't seem too unreasonable for a standard 98 auto?! Would be interesting to compare to a "real" dyno run though. I also don't think I was actually doing 153mph in 3rd gear, honest officer!

Hardest bit was finding somewhere with a clear run to capture the log itself. Ended up flooring it from the sliproad at Keele services and nearly taking out a middle-lane-hogging Boxster in the process...

aDe

KHK
11-12-2006, 04:34 AM
Please advise,
if i start from zero

what should i buy?
1) software, which one?
2) cable, which one?
3) PC - XP windows; OK?

mine VR4 8g

AderC
11-12-2006, 01:43 PM
Probably worth summarising the options now I've had time to play with it all!

Cable-wise there are now 2 options. The author of Evoscan (http://www.limitless.co.nz/evoscan/) is listing a cable for 69 US$ (or $80 with reflashing capability) which has the necessary grounding built in to the cable, BUT I haven't seen one of these cables so can't comment on compatibility or quality myself, although he's assured me it will work. I have the Tactrix Openport (http://www.tactrix.com/)cable (89 us$), which has been demonstrated to work when pin 1 on the OBD port is grounded.

Software-wise, I'd go for Evoscan (http://www.limitless.co.nz/evoscan) (25 US$) for the logging and fault-code reading. Mitsulogger (http://www.aktivematrix.com/) works great for logging and is free so you might as well download it, but it doesn't allow you to extract fault codes. Evoscan will eventually have similar on-road dyno functionality as DataLogLab, but in the meantime DataLogLab (http://www.dataloglab.com) (on offer at 40 US$ at the moment) is the best option for analysis of the log files. ecuEdit (http://www.epifansoft.com/phpBB2/index.php) is also worth a look as it has some nice "digital dash" features but is more pricey at 120 US$ (fully working demo version with nag screens is available to try out before shelling out!)

All works fine on my laptop with XP Pro.

aDe

Kieran
11-12-2006, 09:32 PM
Ade - do any of these programs log Knock Sensor readings?

AderC
11-12-2006, 11:06 PM
Knock sum is one of the parameters logged. See the example logs in post #29 - these show the full range of parameters that can be logged.

aDe

Kieran
11-12-2006, 11:40 PM
Knock sum is one of the parameters logged. See the example logs in post #29 - these show the full range of parameters that can be logged.

aDe

Ta!:2thumbsup

Out of interest, what are your knock values reading as? And does the petrol you use make a difference (if indeed, you've measured this?)?

AderC
12-12-2006, 01:50 PM
I'm getting almost all 0's. Occasional 1 or 2 under acceleration Only use V-Power (or BP Ultimate occasionally) so can't comment on the readings on different fuel. Maybe I should try filling up on the weak stuff and see what happens.

One other logged parameter is "Octane flag", which as I understand it has a value of 100% if the ECU is fully utilising the high octane map, and the value is decreased if the ECU encounters any knock counts above 5. Apparently it interpolates values between the high and low octane maps. Mine's showing 100%.

aDe

Kieran
12-12-2006, 11:17 PM
I'm getting almost all 0's. Occasional 1 or 2 under acceleration Only use V-Power (or BP Ultimate occasionally) so can't comment on the readings on different fuel. Maybe I should try filling up on the weak stuff and see what happens.

One other logged parameter is "Octane flag", which as I understand it has a value of 100% if the ECU is fully utilising the high octane map, and the value is decreased if the ECU encounters any knock counts above 5. Apparently it interpolates values between the high and low octane maps. Mine's showing 100%.

aDe

Thanks Ade..... I think that makes my descision for me....:2thumbsup

AderC
24-01-2007, 08:40 PM
The FTO owners club have asked if we'd be interested in joining their group buy for Evoscan cables (if they get 25 buyers between the two clubs there's a bigger discount). See this thread:

http://www.ftooc.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=65319

Note these cables have the grounding already sorted within the plug so it's easier to get working than the Tactrix cable!

Any takers?

Cheers

aDe

Nick Mann
24-01-2007, 09:06 PM
&#163;50 including postage and software? Sounds very interesting. What is the bigger discount? Do we sign up here or there?

AderC
24-01-2007, 09:43 PM
Prices below (prices in £ based on Jan 24 exchange rate). There's 9 FTO members signed up for the group buy at the mo. I've PM'd the organiser about how to organise it between the clubs.

aDe

Limitless Design 1.4E USB OBDII DataLogger Cable Unit Price (USD) $69.00
EvoScan and All Vehicles OBDII ISO 9141/9141-2 compatable.
Qty: 5+ $64.00each =£32.5456
10+ $59.00each =£29.9965
25+ $55.00each =£27.9639

Limitless Design 1.3M USB OBDII Datalogger & ECU Reprogramming cable Unit Price (USD) $80.00
EvoScan, OpenPort 1.3M, EcuFlash, and All Vehicles OBDII ISO 9141/9141-2 compatable.

Qty: 5+ $74.00each =£37.6187
10+ $69.00each =£35.0766
25+ $64.00each =£32.5456

Postage and Packaging Unit Price (USD) $5.00 =£2.54181
Qty: 5+ $15 ($3.00 per cable)
10+ $22 ($2.17 per cable)
25+ $40 ($1.60 per cable)

Mitsubishi EvoScan DataLogger Software Unit Price (USD) $25.00
Qty: 10+ $20.00each =£10.1685

Axeboy
24-01-2007, 09:46 PM
I would be interested in that :)

Nick Mann
24-01-2007, 10:09 PM
So the more expensive cable allows writing back to the ecu? And the cheaper one doesn't? Is there any point - I mean, can the ecu take reprogramming?

wrdmotorsport
25-01-2007, 11:19 AM
yes please

AderC
25-01-2007, 09:52 PM
Don't think there's much point ordering the reprogramming cable as AFAIK our ECU's don't support reflashing (correct me if I'm wrong!)

I think the FTOOC are trying to set up the group buy so we order individually direct from the supplier, but will confirm once it's sorted.

aDe

AderC
23-04-2007, 12:30 PM
Following a thread on the Aktivematrix/Mitsulogger forum regarding compatibility of an alternative cable for datalogging with the Mitsulogger software, I got hold of one of the cables via the Mediasave e-bay store for £12.49 (+ £2.49 p&p) - ordered Friday lunchtime and it arrived Saturday morning. I've tested it with the Evoscan this morning and it works fine (so I assume Mitsulogger and ecuEdit will also work!). If you want to order one, go to the Mediasave e-bay store (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/MediaSave)and search for "VAG KKL".

The cable itself is actually designed for use with Volkswagen/Audi Group vehicles and the VAG-COM software from Ross-tech (kills 2 birds with 1 stone for Kieran then!), but as it uses the same FTDI chipset as the Tactrix/Openport and Evoscan cables it happens to work with the Evoscan/Mitsulogger software too. All you need to do is install Ecuflash (which will install the correct version of the FTDI drivers) and Evoscan or Mitsulogger and away you go. It doesn't have the reflash connector that the Tactrix cable has, but as our ECUs don't support this it's redundant anyway. Build quality of the VAG cable seems pretty good, and it's significantly cheaper then the Tactrix ($89) and Evoscan ($69) cables. Note that it does require pin 1 on the OBD socket to be grounded in the same way as for the Tactrix cable.

Also, the latest version of Evoscan (v0.99) has some cool new features, including a first stab at an on-road dyno.

aDe

richy rich
23-04-2007, 12:34 PM
good info ade

have some more rep

AderC
25-04-2007, 12:28 PM
Given that the VAG cable OBD connector is screwed together rather than moulded and sealed I thought I'd have a go at rewiring it to convert it to a MUT-II cable (i.e. doesn't require messing about with earthing the pin 1 on the OBD socket) so it's just plug and play for our cars. Using a paperclip and a piece of plastic to hold things in place I've done it as proof of concept, tested it this morning on the way to work and it works fine. Basically puts the car into diagnostics mode as soon as you plug the cable in.

Just need to get hold of a soldering iron and something more substantial than a paperclip to make it more permanent. Will post details/pics of how to do it later tonight.

aDe

Kieran
25-04-2007, 12:42 PM
Now I'm getting very interested. I look forward to reading your guide!:afro:

AderC
25-04-2007, 08:56 PM
As promised, here's how to convert the VAG-COM cable to a MUT cable compatible with Evoscan, Mitsulogger, etc.

As previously described in this thread, to get the datalogger to work the car needs to be put into diagnostics mode. This is done by grounding pin 1 on the OBD socket itself. The principle behind modifying the VAG cable is to make use of the fact that position 4 on the OBD socket is earthed, and there is a pin 4 in the plug on the VAG cable. Basically, all you need to do is add a new pin in the currently empty pin 1 position on the plug, and connect it to pin 4 within the plug itself. Simple!

Pic below shows the pin positions of the standard plug. Note the lack of any pin in position 1, and the pin in position 4:

uploaded/1988/1177529829.jpg

Next pic shows the plug - all you need to do to get inside is undo the 4 screws and prise the plug open.

uploaded/1988/1177529874.jpg

Next is the connection within the plug. To test the concept all I've done is insert a paperclip through the hole for pin 1, to the same length as the other pins, and bend it over to touch the solder on the back of pin 4 (making sure the paperclip didn't touch any of the other components). I wedged some plastic in to hold the paperclip in place (pic doesn't show this):

uploaded/1988/1177529903.jpg

To make this more permanent, I need to get hold of something more substantial than a paperclip for the pin, as the clip is loose and will bend a bit too easily. The pin will need to be soldered in, then a piece of wire soldered between the back of pin 1 and pin 4.

Final pic shows the pins and the shiny paperclip in place (top right).

uploaded/1988/1177529931.jpg

Voila! A working MUT cable. It's plug and play in that you now don't have to fiddle about under the dash to earth the pin from the socket itself, so the cable is readily transferable between cars. Also note that the cable I used is that supplied by the Mediasave e-bay store, and there are other suppliers of compatible cables but I don't know if they are made in the same way (i.e. screwed together rather than moulded and sealed).

aDe

Kieran
25-04-2007, 09:11 PM
I am now going to transfer this thread to the member's area, if that's okay with you, Ade - I think your hard work is worth a contribution!:scholar:

Have some more rep.:afro:

Nutter_John
25-04-2007, 09:46 PM
Top notch job Ade - excellent stuff have some rep from me :2thumbsup

Now how about a group buy on these cables , will even modify them for people

AderC
25-04-2007, 10:11 PM
Would make sense to co-ordinate a group buy and get them all modified at the same time. Any ideas what we might use for the pins - they're flat and taper off to a point?

aDe

Nutter_John
26-04-2007, 08:31 AM
Yep - will try and get hold of a set of pcb header pins as I feel from your picture that is what they have used

bigscott
04-05-2007, 09:19 AM
excellent stuff, ordered my lead from mediasave the other day and made the link from pin 1 to 4, which put the legnum in flashy dash mode, downloaded evoscan and ecuflash but havent quite got there yet. keep getting some saucy yank type telling me my links disengaged. have the following message in the event log: Error: Unable to load DLL (FTD2XX.DLL). any ideas?

bigscott
04-05-2007, 09:21 AM
just opened ecuflash and the final message on that is: [00:45:26.531] error loading FTChipID.DLL. will try downloading again

AderC
04-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Sounds like the FTDI drivers required for the cable to work haven't installed properly (they should install with Ecuflash). Did Windows recognise the cable OK when you plugged it in to the PC?

aDe

AderC
04-05-2007, 08:33 PM
I've just plugged the cable into the laptop to double-check what the device is listed as. If you go into Windows Device Manager when it's plugged in, you should see it as a "USB Serial Converter" in the USB Controllers list.

aDe

bigscott
04-05-2007, 09:01 PM
yeah it was the driver, i installed the driver off the disk that came with the lead, which meant the ecuflash driver didnt install properly. anyway, what a gadget! - now just to find out what half the readings mean....../duh

any ideas why boost isnt read?

cheers for all the info btw

AderC
04-05-2007, 09:09 PM
AFAIK our ECU doesn't measure boost at all so we can't log it :-(

This link should help explain some of the parameters: Datalogger 101 (http://www.vfaq.com/TMO/)

One thing you will probably need to do to get speed reading correctly:

Go to C:\Program Files\EvoScan\EvoScan v0.99\DataSettings and open the Data.xml file in notepad (back it up first though!). Change the following line:

<DataListItem DataLog="Y" Color="#FFAD00" Display="Speed" LogReference="Speed" RequestID="2F" Eval="1.2427424x" Unit="Mph" MetricEval="2x" MetricUnit="Kph" ResponseBytes="1" GaugeMin="0" GaugeMax="280" ChartMin="0" ChartMax="280" ScalingFactor="1" Notes="Not loggable on some Mitsubishis"/>

to:

<DataListItem DataLog="Y" Color="#FFAD00" Display="Speed" LogReference="Speed" RequestID="2F" Eval="2x" Unit="Mph" MetricEval="2x" MetricUnit="Mph" ResponseBytes="1" GaugeMin="0" GaugeMax="280" ChartMin="0" ChartMax="280" ScalingFactor="1" Notes="Not loggable on some Mitsubishis"/>

Evoscan expects a reading in kph, but as ours have a speedo converter fitted it's actually in mph, hence the need to change the formula

Glad you've got it working though! What did you use for the extra pin? (I used a larger size paperclip in the end!)

aDe

bigscott
04-05-2007, 09:45 PM
i used a bit of 1.5 mm twin and earth electric cable, it kind of jumped out when i was looking through my van, and being copper soldered straight on to pin 4. cheers again for help, will do some decent logging tomorrow after a big service. amsoil all round engine and box, and some nice blue brake fluid, thanks to don at performance oils :thumbsup:

bigscott
04-05-2007, 09:54 PM
just had a look at those settings which are currently at:
<DataListItem DataLog="N" Color="" Display="Vehicle Speed" LogReference="AYC_VSSKph" RequestID="04" Eval="x" Unit="km/h" MetricEval="" MetricUnit="" ResponseBytes="1" GaugeMin="0" GaugeMax="255" ChartMin="0" ChartMax="255" ScalingFactor="1" Notes=""/>

the plot thickens........

AderC
05-05-2007, 10:12 AM
You're looking at the parameters for the AYC ECU (which is still work in progress in v0.99). Scroll down a bit further!

aDe

Davezj
08-05-2007, 01:43 PM
nice work i am going to order my cable tonight. i already have a switch for the pin one diag flashy so connection will be a dodle. I will let you know what happens. i bought evoscan but not a cable yet. so good find all round. thanks AderC.

Big Thanks, Dave

bigscott
08-05-2007, 04:31 PM
You're looking at the parameters for the AYC ECU (which is still work in progress in v0.99). Scroll down a bit further!

spot the idiot!/pan

AderC
08-05-2007, 10:31 PM
I'll bring laptop and cables along to Japfest if anyone wants a nosey. Could even send it out on track with someone to log a session?

aDe

Nick Mann
09-05-2007, 01:48 PM
I'll bring laptop and cables along to Japfest if anyone wants a nosey. Could even send it out on track with someone to log a session?

aDe

I would like to see it again - I don't remember enough from a cold afternoon near Stoke! :thumbsup:

Davezj
22-05-2007, 11:16 PM
Well i bought my cable and evoscan (total cost cable &#163;15 and evoscan $25USD)and i tried to install it on Win98 with no joy at all could not get the FTDI driver to work.

Tried it on a WinXP laptop and job is a good 'un, works great and i am now datalogging.
I did have trouble getting a driver for it, but found this one and it works, FTDI FT8U2xx for WinXP, google it and it about 4 on the list. I think it is meant for Linux/Unix. I didn't get round to trying the win98 equivalent driver so that might work for you.

Now i am worried also at the results i am getting from the logging.

I think i have it set up correctly.

so i am going to do some more runs. oh as an aside i am using 95RON petrol, and i am getting knock sensor reading in the 70-80's not all the time, but under WOT at a ton, running standard boost, and octane reading is down to 88 after about 3 min blat.

Can someone exlain?

Anyway more later.

Davezj
29-05-2007, 01:03 PM
filled up with V power and knock sensor is down to 1 or 2 counts and octane is at 100 all the time.

I didn't think it would make that much difference, but it obviously does.

phosty
29-05-2007, 02:01 PM
Has anybody tried the diagnostic error code download feature of EvoScan? It seems to report a few errors on mine. Assuming they were old codes I clicked the option to reset them. But then I I tried to read the error codes again the same ones came up - immediately! So I assume it's not wiping/reseting them correctly.

Anyone have the same behaviour or does the wipe feature work for you?

Guess I'll have to see if they match the codes given by the grounding of pin 1 and the flashing dash lights.

Is there any other way of reseting them without a visit to Mitsubishi?

Davezj
29-05-2007, 07:12 PM
I have just done this,

With Evoscan it reads the fault codes not to sure how good they are.

reset the codes and they disappear read them again and they are back again.

The fault codes are read on the pin1 GND diag feature.

If you disconnect the battery this will remove the codes and they don't come back, unless the fault reoccurs.

Here is the senario,

Disconnect the battery and reconnect. check fault codes Fashy dash, no present.

disconnect the crank position sensor and the cam position sensor.

crank engine.

reconnect cables.

check flashy dash fault codes, you should get ,
Auto Gear box N = 1sec flash
ABS = 31 (13), 41 (14).
Engine Light = 22
TCL = 31 (13), 41 (14).
Car skid = 1 sec flash
AYC = 1 sec flash

Battery disconnect reconnect will cancel the fault codes.

Hope this helps

Dave

Kieran
30-05-2007, 12:30 AM
filled up with V power and knock sensor is down to 1 or 2 counts and octane is at 100 all the time.

I didn't think it would make that much difference, but it obviously does.

Jesus, only just caught up with this, and yes, you have to be careful with these imports!

A Knock sensor reading of 70-80, if that's being accurately interpreted by the evoscan software, is very high! On the GTO engine, the stock ECU starts to peg things back when knock exceeds 5 or more.... See here:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=243780&postcount=17

Stick with the V-Power!:scholar:

snickells
30-05-2007, 05:39 AM
This looks like a fantastic tool, it would be great built in to a Car-puter.

I-S
22-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Ok, I've bought the VAG KKL cable, and I figured out a good way to modify it. Didn't get any pics, but once you've got the cable you should understand what I'm talking about.

You will need:
Solid core 0.7mm diameter equipment wire (about 10cm is more than plenty)
Soldering iron
Silver/tin/copper solder (ie not tin-lead)

Take the wire and strip the end, for quite a length - twice the distance from the end of the connector pins to the little pcb behind the connector housing. At halfway along this stripped length, using a pair of pliers double the wire back through 180 degrees so that the end of the stripped section is now at the end of the remaining insulation. Use the solder to tin the two parallel bits of wire together. This gives you a piece of metal approximately the same width, height and length as the other pins. Push it through from the pcb side into the connector and once it's the right distance the insulation should almost be flush with the pcb. Solder the wire to the pin 1 pad on the pcb. Bend the remaining wire over to pin 4, cut to length, strip a small bit off the end and solder to pin 4.

This gives you a pin that's almost as strong as the original ones, and certainly survived several plug/unplug cycles in my car with no difficulty.

Then there was farting about with drivers. Don't install the driver that comes on the disc with the KKL cable - install ECUflash first, then when you connect the cable direct windows to the ecuflash drivers directory to get them.

I couldn't get mitsulogger to give me any sense, although I'll try again soon. I did, however, get the generic ODB scan tool to work. This was correctly reading and logging data (eg revs, throttle position, etc) on my GDI. It said there were no codes, although the abs light was flashing out a couple of codes, so not sure on that one.

Have some rep AderC!

g6acb
22-06-2007, 08:17 PM
It said there were no codes, although the abs light was flashing out a couple of codes, so not sure on that one.

mine does that with codes 15, 22, 23 and 24 and i have sussed out why but its all on my other laptop.... its something to do with the later ecu's using obd protocol error coding (which have if / parrameters) as well as the mut codes (which are either on or off)

AderC
22-06-2007, 09:37 PM
Wierd that you got the generic OBD software working and not Mitsulogger. Wonder if the GDI is fully OBDii compliant in that case?

I've found that the paperclip I used to modify the cable has survived plugging/unplugging OK. You're dead right about the drivers - install ecuFlash rather than those on the disc with the cable.

aDe

MikeKey
22-06-2007, 09:58 PM
Glad you got your cable working Isaac!

Here are some pics I took when I modded my cable that might help people doing the same...

Make a bent paperclip this size:

Then solder it like this:

I-S
23-06-2007, 11:42 AM
If you solder the wire/paperclip to the PCB it passes through (in the square silkscreened hole) you can add mechanical strength.

g6acb
23-06-2007, 12:06 PM
Am I missing something here? the cable I got has all the pins in the connector, most of them aren't connected to anything... I just soldered a piece of wire from pin 4 to pin 1 ....:inquisiti

I-S
23-06-2007, 02:01 PM
Strange.... the cable I have only had some of the pins and pin 1 was not among them, which seems to be like mikekey's and aderc's cables.

Davezj
24-06-2007, 09:08 PM
Has anybody tried the diagnostic error code download feature of EvoScan? It seems to report a few errors on mine. Assuming they were old codes I clicked the option to reset them. But then I I tried to read the error codes again the same ones came up - immediately! So I assume it's not wiping/reseting them correctly.

Anyone have the same behaviour or does the wipe feature work for you?

Guess I'll have to see if they match the codes given by the grounding of pin 1 and the flashing dash lights.

Is there any other way of reseting them without a visit to Mitsubishi?

getting back to this question about using the diagnostic code reader.
does it show the codes as all get out of this is a list of statement oxegen, crank sensor, cam sensor. but doesn't show the actual codes. is it suposed to do this.

as for the driver the only file i could get to work was direct from the FTDI web site and pick my operating system and auto install worked a treat.

Dave

Spader
04-07-2007, 04:55 AM
Does the software log boost pressures? Not sure if this is logged by the ECU, its just on cold days when I stand on it the car shuts down for a bit then when I remove foot from throttle it comes back to life. Just wondering if this is boost related. But I've been trying to get this sort of this for my car for quite some time
Car is standard

Kenneth
04-07-2007, 05:04 AM
No, the ECU does not have any boost reference.

If the calculated load exceeds a specific value for a given RPM, then it will cut the fuel. To test if this is happening all you need to do is turn down the boost a bit.

You may also have buggered spark plugs, as these cause similar issues but not as violent as fuel cut.

Kieran
02-08-2007, 05:14 PM
Can I ask a favour? Does anyone have an EVOSCAN log done recently on a warm day?

I want to compare inlet temperatures. Went out for a couple of logging runs with Isaac on Sunday, it was around 19ish degrees, and on the logs there's an average inlet temp of 110 degrees (I presume Farenheit!!). This seems a little high, but I have no point of reference to back up my suspicion. Can anyone help?

Also, where is the Air temp measured from? Where's the sensor?:inquisiti

By the way, having had a play with Isaac's OBD cable and a laptop, I have SO got to get me one of these! It's awesome!:afro:

Gly
03-08-2007, 10:12 AM
its in the MAF

i think?

Kieran
03-08-2007, 10:15 AM
its in the MAF

Meh, so it's pre-turbo them..... Mmmmf. Not so good!:inquisiti

richy rich
03-08-2007, 10:37 AM
Not 100% where the stock 1 is but nutter has 1 in the 90deg bend before the T/B and we where getting temps off 30 C i think, ill ask him.

Nutter_John
03-08-2007, 11:11 AM
Yep the Stock IAT is in the MAF

My Mapecu was showing 30c+ when the outside temp was 6 degrees .

Not tried it in the summer but would expect temps to be 70+ when the outside air is hot and your thrashing the motor

Eurospec
03-08-2007, 01:59 PM
Yeah, just to confirm, Evo scan will pick up IAT from the maf, so its pre turbo.

Post turbo it will be TOASTY die to the small housings causing the air to get really well chopped up.

I would be unsrprised to see a 70 deg c charge temp on the beans.

Cheers,

Ben.

Kieran
03-08-2007, 03:10 PM
Hmmm. Assuming EVOSCAN is accurate, that's 43 degrees celcius before the turbos. That's not good!:inquisiti

Kieran
03-08-2007, 03:11 PM
Tell you what, it's priceless having a datalogger, isn't it! :afro:

Davezj
04-08-2007, 01:42 AM
i think evoscan is great.

it has proved to me that higher octane fuel (V Power) is worth the extra cost. due to the knock counts and timing retardation that occurs with 95 ron fuel at full chat (WOT)

wirdy
08-08-2007, 05:15 PM
Some great info guys - well done. I've been waiting for someone more computer-savvy to figure this out for nearly 5 years.
Have ordered my cable today. Glad i rejoined and have access again to the members area :happy:

leebutts
14-08-2007, 11:01 AM
Does anyone have a screen shot of the EvoScan settings they are using for the Power/Torque Vehicle Settings (preferably metric)?

I've got a 96 Legnum VR-4 and I'm not sure what to use for drag coeff and the frontal area.

edit: I've grabbed the screen shots of settings page for the other logger, but would still like some info from someone who has used the Power calculation in EvoScan.

cheers

Lee

dickytim
21-09-2007, 11:49 PM
I borrowed Kenneth's cable to check out the serious knock I am getting when ever I load the engine up, it came up with 3 fault codes, MAF, engine temp sensor and TPS, I have changed the MAF over, lets see how I go, it has paid for it self already as at $60 + GST labour the problem sorting would already be over the cost of one of these.

I have ordered one of my own, and have brought the Evoscan programme.

Can I encourage anyone who is using a pirate copy to spring the $25 USD and buy it, this guy deserves the money for this piece of software...

I will let you know what the out come of my issue is.

Kieran
22-09-2007, 12:21 AM
Can I encourage anyone who is using a pirate copy to spring the $25 USD and buy it, this guy deserves the money for this piece of software.

Agreed. $25 US is sod all really. I recently bought Evoscan and also the Evoscan v1.3M cable to go with it. It works an absolute treat and provides no end of useful data.

dickytim
22-09-2007, 12:47 AM
well, the MAF fault is gone, now to check out the TPS code, out it must come :)

Nick Mann
22-09-2007, 10:05 AM
I have seen a lot of cars reading a TPS fault on Evoscan. Is it really a big problem, or is there some minor imperfection that records a glitch every now and then? If you find a problem, it will be interesting to see what it is.

And I agree with the sentiments above. I hate paying stoopid money for software, but Evoscan is stoopid in the right direction! When I discovered the cost I didn't hesitate to fork out for it. I would urge others to do the same. This guy is working on updates, and your US$25 entitles you to free software updates as improvements are made. BOBBY BARGAIN!!!

psbarham
23-09-2007, 07:53 AM
trouble is it don't work with the uk spec cars /Grrr

anybody know what will?

g6acb
23-09-2007, 09:29 AM
anybody know what will?

er.... evoscan?

in what way don't it work??, sure the fault code reading is a bit iffy - I think it throws a wobler on things like barometic pressure sensors and others that use odb data rather than Mut-II - but other than that it works like a dream :scholar:

psbarham
23-09-2007, 09:56 AM
er.... evoscan?

in what way don't it work??, sure the fault code reading is a bit iffy - I think it throws a wobler on things like barometic pressure sensors and others that use odb data rather than Mut-II - but other than that it works like a dream :scholar:

ades didn't work on mine at jae :inquisiti :inquisiti

Kieran
23-09-2007, 10:45 AM
What protocol were you trying to use Paul?

psbarham
23-09-2007, 12:18 PM
What protocol were you trying to use Paul?

eer pass, ade tried his usual program on it and got didly squat out of it /Grrr

AderC
23-09-2007, 07:53 PM
I only had my Palm at JAE so it would have been the Mirage software and cable I was using, not Evoscan.

aDe

psbarham
23-09-2007, 07:56 PM
I only had my Palm at JAE so it would have been the Mirage software and cable I was using, not Evoscan.

aDe

aah that would explain a lot then

g6acb
21-11-2007, 11:39 PM
v2.0 of evoscan now available which I Think may sort out the phantom error code thing on UK cars.... I'll have a play tomorrow /rally

Nick Mann
21-11-2007, 11:42 PM
Just downloaded that myself! :P

Davezj
23-11-2007, 09:59 PM
where do you download this from, i have bought evoscan but never found the download button on the website. i have had to email evoscan and they have emailed me a link. the last version i got was 0.99V

Can anyone enlighten me.

why has my avatar just changed to psbarham's ones how has that happened

Kieran
23-11-2007, 10:05 PM
why has my avatar just changed to psbarham's ones how has that happened

One of the more irritating features of the VB plaza application is the ability to change other people's avatars. As Dr. Barmy McClement appears to have discovered..../pan You can change it back as normal via your User CP.

Davezj
23-11-2007, 10:13 PM
but where can i get the evoscan download from?

it is supposed give free downloads to registered buyers

peter thomson
23-11-2007, 10:15 PM
Here I think

http://www.limitless.co.nz/evoscan/

Davezj
23-11-2007, 10:26 PM
yes i know that is the website, but where on the website do you click the button to actually download it.

EDIT>
sorry mate just read this back and sound like i am have a go, not the case mate sorry just can't get the latest version of evoscan.

peter thomson
23-11-2007, 10:41 PM
yes i know that is the website, but where on the website do you click the button to actually download it.

sorry mate just read this back and sound like i am have a go, not the case mate sorry just can't get the latest version of evoscan.

No problem. I've just started downloading it for the first time and it looks as if you are supposed to save the link you download it from and then just reuse it to get the latest version. I can pm the link to you if you are still not having any luck

Davezj
23-11-2007, 10:44 PM
i think i still have the original email i was sent.

what a plonker, i have just scanned my emails and guess what i found.

it's a mail from evoscan!!!!!

it was in amongst the loads of spam mail i get daily.

Result!!!

shaun1978
28-02-2008, 05:50 PM
i cant get mine to connect correctly , what are the settings ie. baud rate etc

phosty
04-03-2008, 12:17 AM
Yes - I have issues getting Evoscan v2.1 to connect also. I see that they have disabled the COM port options on v2.1

(just usb cables are supported in EvoScan v2.1 at this stage - support for serial ports will be re-introduced in a later version, as the usb version is far superior.)

I had purchased one of the cheap VAG-COM USB KKL OBD 2 cables on eBay and modified it as AderC demonstrated to ground pin 1. It worked fine on Evoscan 0.99 - either by selecting the USB cable option OR using a COM port.

Maybe they have decided to restrict v2.1 to the EvoScan specific cable?

Has anyone else managed to get v2.1 to work with a non-EvoScan cable?

Nice But
04-03-2008, 11:36 AM
After seeing this at the weekend with Nick Just ordered the cable and software from them...... with the current exchange rate £54.06 inc postage for it all........ result :happy:

Will this still work with a MAP2 fitted? sorry for asking dumb questions, I'm just keen to learn all about turbo engine tuning /pan /rally

Nutter_John
04-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Yep this will still work fine with the MAPecu stuff as your are seeing what the ecu see's ( altough figures like the MAF and the timming will be out as the MAP2 will take it over from the ecu )

Davezj
04-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Yes - I have issues getting Evoscan v2.1 to connect also. I see that they have disabled the COM port options on v2.1

I had purchased one of the cheap VAG-COM USB KKL OBD 2 cables on eBay and modified it as AderC demonstrated to ground pin 1. It worked fine on Evoscan 0.99 - either by selecting the USB cable option OR using a COM port.

Maybe they have decided to restrict v2.1 to the EvoScan specific cable?

Has anyone else managed to get v2.1 to work with a non-EvoScan cable?

not tried it with 2.1 yet i will do it tonight and let you know.

maxpain80
11-03-2008, 10:40 PM
What is this evoscan situation now ?

Nick Mann
11-03-2008, 10:45 PM
I am using Evoscan 2.1 with a non-evoscan USB cable. It appears to be doing everything it should. I have a VAG-KKL type cable with a DIY short out pin 1 to pin 4 modification. It is money very well spent, IMO. It has put my mind to rest several times and helped me fault find several times.

maxpain80
11-03-2008, 11:10 PM
Thanks for quick answer!

Nick Mann
11-03-2008, 11:13 PM
No probs!

Nice But
11-03-2008, 11:49 PM
Nick..... need to hook up with you as I've just received my cable from the evoscan people and installed the software so all I need now is to work out what to do with it..../pan /pan

Beastlee
12-03-2008, 01:08 PM
Just plug it in under the dashboard and into a laptop with the USB and Evoscan software installed.
I'm just going to head over to the site and order mine, just hope that Evoscan works with Vista Ultimate.

Nick Mann
12-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Tim - Give me a shout when you've got some time then!

phosty
12-03-2008, 02:24 PM
I received a support ticket answer back from the Evoscan developers that v2.1 should work just fine with non-Evoscan cables so it must just be my install. The bizarre thing is that I can get 0.99 to connect fine. But if I load up v2.1 it can't connect. And that's all with the same cable?

Any tips on connection baud speed or something else I may have missed? Updated FTDI drivers? I was really hoping to check out if the new version read the DTC codes correctly - and more importantly cleared them. Have you tried that yet Nick?

Beastlee
12-03-2008, 03:58 PM
I've just submitted a ticket because I can't get mine ordered via Paypal. Paypal won't let me change my address to the German one but I can't get the goods posted to a different address than the one associated with my Paypal account. If they send the gfoods to the UK address it will take about 6 months to get to me due to redirections and BFPO addresses.
I've asked them if I can specify a separtate delivery address in the notes as I'm guaranteed to avoid the customs people, legitimatally.

Nick Mann
12-03-2008, 05:44 PM
I received a support ticket answer back from the Evoscan developers that v2.1 should work just fine with non-Evoscan cables so it must just be my install. The bizarre thing is that I can get 0.99 to connect fine. But if I load up v2.1 it can't connect. And that's all with the same cable?

Any tips on connection baud speed or something else I may have missed? Updated FTDI drivers? I was really hoping to check out if the new version read the DTC codes correctly - and more importantly cleared them. Have you tried that yet Nick?

Nope, I haven't. I didn't have to update any drivers - it installed and worked first time, no settings changes or anything.

Beastlee
13-03-2008, 07:45 PM
I've ordered, Hamish has been very helpful.

I now have the software installed but haven't the foggiest how to use it. Just need to wait for the cable to arrive now and at least I'll be able to see what it's logging.

I know it's been asked already but there's been no reply, can anyone provide figures for the "Power / Torque Vehicle Settings"?

Beastlee
13-03-2008, 10:03 PM
Sorry I have answered my own question using that wonderful search engine thingymawotsit. For info the picture below is based on a 1996 Legnum with no roof-rails or sunroof, all interior trim, a half tank of fuel and a fat knacker in the driver's seat :
uploaded/4273/1205442167.jpg

I'm going to make submit a suggestion to the developer that he make it possible to save the custom configs under a name as it would make life easier if you have multiple cars to log with different custom specs.

Beastlee
19-03-2008, 11:41 AM
My cable just arrived and the USB drivers have happily installed on my Vista laptop. Just going to move the car so I can plug the laptop in and start logging ;)

Ok, done some logging on the drive and I have some error codes which must have come up recently, namely :

Evo4 Diagnostic Codes:
Intake temperature sensor
Throttle position sensor
Engine coolant temperature sensor
Camshaft position sensor
Barometric pressure sensor

TPS shows fully closed at 12% and fully open at 96%....could be a dirty butterfly, faulty sensor or nothing to worry about.
As for the others are they likely to be real problems? Camshaft sensor is probably quite important so I may consider changing this.

Octane was showing 100 and knock count 0 which is a good sign but this was just idling, no run.

For those wondering about clearing the errors I think this may only be to clear the window, not the ECU.

phosty
19-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Some info on connection issues with Evoscan v2.1 and also an update on the DTC error codes:

Hi Hamish,

I did as you suggested and uninstalled then reinstalled a fresh download of v2.1 from the email link. Still the same issue. When attempting to connect in v2.1 it as as though it connects but then immediately disconnects (the voice cuts itself out). I get the following message:

Info: Initialize Vehicle ECU...
Info: Initializing At 5 baud...
Info: Initialization Complete...
Info: Waiting for INIT Response...
Info: ECU ID: E7E1
Info: Connection successful...
Error: Unable to open COM1
Access is denied

I addition the received datacount shows (15).

As I am still able to sucessfully connect using v0.99 I am inclined to think it's not a driver/cable issue. Even though XP seems to assign a different virtual COM port to different USB ports on my laptop v0.99 connects whichever USB port I use.

The annoying thing is that some other VR4 users on ClubVR4.com have managed to connect - but then others also report the same issue as myself. Not sure if that helps you?

I thought it odd that the error log mentions COM1 as you said that code is disabled?

See also attached screen grabs.

Thanks, Phil

Attachments:
evoscan2.1.jpg
evoscan0-99.jpg

Date: 2008-03-14 03:34:51
Name: Hamish Ahern

try this version (V2.2).. let me know how you get on... thanks.
[Link removed as I assume he wouldn't appreciate me distributing it to everyone prior to it's official release]

COM1 is just for WDB wideband support, its ticked by default, v2.2 doesn't have WDB ticked by default so it will work as installed.

Regards,
Hamish Ahern.

Date: 2008-03-19 22:44:12
Name: Philip Hosty

Hamish,

Thanks for that. I downloaded the V2.2 as you suggested and it worked fine no problems first time.

However after noting your comments about WBO2 support being ticked by default on V2.1 I found that menu option in V2.1 and changed it to some of the other options (COM2, COM3, etc). Interestingly I was able to get V2.1 to work once I had the WBO2 port selected as either COM3, COM7 or COM8. The other COM ports gave the same error. So I'm not sure if it is just that my laptop has possibly got those specific COM ports that it failed on as reserved for other devices (not sure how I could check this as they only appear in the Device Manager when the device is actually attached) or somthing else but at least it is working now.

On a final note, I see that the DTC options (read/clear) still gives odd behaviour for the VR4 (i.e. always gives the same errors and does not clear them) - is this because you only support Evo DTC's at present?

Thanks, Phil

Date: 2008-03-20 01:48:28
Name: Hamish Ahern

only Evo4 DTCs yes, I am adding more DTC support this month.

Regards,
Hamish Ahern.

So try changing the Wideband O2 com port settings if you have connection issues. Also it looks like we may actually be getting VR4 DTC support soon too!!:happy:

Nick Mann
19-03-2008, 02:45 PM
Nice one! Good to know he is working on it. He seems to be a top bloke, by all accounts....

Lee - I wouldn't worry about those codes - quite a few VR4's show random fault codes and they don't always clear. But blatantly at least some of the problems aren't - the temperature sensor for a start, and the TPS switch is operating as it should. Maybe wait for VR4 DTC support to arrive before worrying too much.

phosty
19-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Regarding the DTC codes - you will note that V2.1 and above state that the DTC codes are for Evo4 (and above I presume?). From the communications I have had with Hamish I don't believe they are correct for the VR4.

Beastlee I get exactly the same DTC's as you on my Silver VR4 and that shows no error codes at all when you ground out the pin 1 on the diagnostic plug and read the blinking dash lights - and Mitsu Aberdeen confirmed the same vie the MUT.

I also got the same codes via Evoscan from my Blue VR4 and that shows about 7 different codes via the flashy dash method.

I'm sure they are not relevant/accurate for our cars (yet).

Beastlee
19-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the support there guys, thought my mods were going ont he back burner completely for a moment. I have done a log of a 140mph autobahn run earlier, just got to get round to playing it back through the AFR viewer. Only problem with the run was that I cooked the brakes slowing from 140 to 40,BIG fade, and now they vibrate like hell.

Beastlee
19-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Next problem, do we have HEX and XML files for the VR4 ECUs that can be used on the AFR map? They really need a help file with this so you can understand the options they give you.

AFRs have dropped to 9.8 at some points....not good I'm sure. Some knock (25 max) but octane is showing 100 all the time.

dickytim
19-03-2008, 06:59 PM
My cable just arrived and the USB drivers have happily installed on my Vista laptop. Just going to move the car so I can plug the laptop in and start logging ;)

Ok, done some logging on the drive and I have some error codes which must have come up recently, namely :

TPS shows fully closed at 12% and fully open at 96%....could be a dirty butterfly, faulty sensor or nothing to worry about.
As for the others are they likely to be real problems? Camshaft sensor is probably quite important so I may consider changing this.

Octane was showing 100 and knock count 0 which is a good sign but this was just idling, no run.

For those wondering about clearing the errors I think this may only be to clear the window, not the ECU.

I get the same error codes on mine, I changed the MAF and some other bits over to see if it went away but it didn't, good to know it isn't a fault with my car :)

My TPS was showing correctly however, could this be a seperate issue with yours ?

Nice But
19-03-2008, 08:02 PM
same codes on mine as well........

Now I've done the brakes I can do some logging to make sure all is well.

Beastlee
19-03-2008, 08:32 PM
I get the same error codes on mine, I changed the MAF and some other bits over to see if it went away but it didn't, good to know it isn't a fault with my car :)

My TPS was showing correctly however, could this be a seperate issue with yours ?
Well the TPS only goes from 12% to 96% which may be a fault but I don't have anything to compare.

I double checked the log and my knock count went up to 2.5 with the AFR at 9.8 and the TPS at the 96%. This was WOT in 4th and 5th gears, speed between 100 and 130mph.

Davezj
08-04-2008, 06:27 PM
my max WOT is 96%.
So i think it is just the decoding of the readback.
I could always try and tighten up the throttle cable on it's slider bracket to double check this result.

Beastlee
08-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Dave, what is your TPS reading with it fully closed?

Davezj
08-04-2008, 07:47 PM
i will check and update this post.

12.5% at closed throttle.

So it is probably just a decode error.

Which worries me. how many other error are there.

Is there a know fault list with this software. or we could just start a new thead so people could post this sort of thing up. Not to have a go about the software just to let everyone know where they stand. and the writer of the software could use it as a need to fix list convenient collected for him in one place so he doesn't have to search around for feedback.

miller
26-04-2008, 08:25 PM
i cant get mine to connect correctly , what are the settings ie. baud rate etc

Can anyone confirm what the baud rate is out of the VR-4?

Davezj
27-04-2008, 11:08 AM
Baud 15625
Time out 1000
Evoscan USB cable selected
mitsubishi selected

Hope this helps

miller
27-04-2008, 11:34 AM
cheers Dave

Hotwire
07-05-2008, 01:38 PM

Intake Temp Sensor
Throttle Position Sensor
Engine Coolant Temp Sensor
Camshaft Position Sensor
Barometric Pressure Sensor

I also got these codes:
Intake Temp Sensor
Throttle Position Sensor
Engine Coolant Temp Sensor
Camshaft Position Sensor
Barometric Pressure Sensor

Only just got the car, so not sure on whether its running "correct". you mention these have "come up" - were they not there previously, and did it affect how the car ran?

Cheers
Lee

Davezj
07-05-2008, 01:51 PM
camshaft and barometric, can be caused just by diconnecting the sesor and reconnecting it. best thing to do is disconnect battery and reconnect which will clear existing codes and check regularly to see if they come back.
The code clear feature on evo scan does not seem to work. if you clear them and check again they reappear. i think the clear codes button just clears then from evoscan not the ECU.

battery disconnect clears them.

but you lose shift points and idle point when battery is disconnected so when you reconnect the battery, put air con on to load the engine slightly and leave it to idle for 10mins, if it stalls just restat it and the idle point should settle down.

Hotwire
18-06-2008, 07:07 AM
Guys, looking for some help in this thread here:
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=342263
Cheers

martin_y
30-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Having bought the cable yesterday, have today registered and bought the software.

phosty
07-08-2008, 10:55 PM
I tried Evoscan 2.5 yesterday. I had hoped reading the features that it would allow you to stop the 'flashy dash' effect - there is an option in the menus to disable the flashing dash lights (with a note about disconnecting pin 9). However I couldn't get it to work. And my cable doesn't have pin 9 connected anyway (the cheapo universal VagCom cable of ebay).

Anybody had any success stopping the flashing dash lights?

And how about the actuators? I couldn't get them to work either?

BTW, my throttle shows 12.5% when closed too.

Nick Mann
07-08-2008, 11:04 PM
I also have a cheap VAG cable, and can't get the actuators to do anything. Is there anybody out there with an expensive cable that can try it?

PaddyB
07-08-2008, 11:45 PM
I have a kosher Evoscan cable - I'll give it a whirl over the w/e.

I know if the lights stop flashing but what will happen with the actuators ??

Beastlee
08-08-2008, 06:51 AM
I can confirm some of the actuators working but never tried all of them. I haven't got around to disconnecting pin-9 so I don't know about the flashy-dash side.

Nick Mann
08-08-2008, 09:09 AM
I have no idea. When I press the actuator button, I just get an error message that means something like: The ECU is sticking its finger up at Evoscan!

Louis
08-08-2008, 09:20 AM
I have a VAG cable that I added the earth pin 1 on.
I still get flashy dash, and emailed Hamish, to ask about a version of evoscan with 6 injector, rather than 4 injector, he asked for the number of the ECU, I sent him that and he said that he had not fully worked out the system with that ecu but was working on it.

I will find his reply and post it up here.

ҢдщҚ
16-08-2008, 09:08 PM
Hi,

Most of you may have not seen me around, This is my second post so trying to read and catch up on all the wealth of information here. Cheers !

Ok i have a few questions about evoscan in particular. I have yet to find and purchase a legnum vr4, but been looking into fitting a car pc when i get it. Problems i have is that i'm not sure how good the real time scan is when using evoscan or any of the interfaces when using the OBDII port. I wish to use the interface to display gauges on my lcd. A good friend of mine says the bus speed is way too slow to even consider such a real time data application. The OBDII port would in general only be good for changing parameters and engine diagnostics. Is ther anyone who can give me any hands on experience. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
steve.. ..
(North West)

Nick Mann
16-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Bollox. Evoscan can display most engine parameters in real time. Revs, speed, knock, gear in an auto, throttle position, coolant temp, fuel gauge, barometric presure, octane, timing advance, etc, etc....

Louis
17-08-2008, 01:08 AM
[QUOTE=ҢдщҚ]Hi,

Most of you may have not seen me around,

Check out the link, it has most of the info and photos screen grabs etc

http://www.limitless.co.nz/evoscan/

ҢдщҚ
17-08-2008, 11:17 AM
hi nick, thanks for that warm welcome Bollox lol !

louis that link, had a read through and found what i was looking for. It seems that it was bollox after all ;-)

Regards
Steve.. .. .

phosty
17-08-2008, 04:49 PM
I can confirm some of the actuators working but never tried all of them. I haven't got around to disconnecting pin-9 so I don't know about the flashy-dash side.

Which cable do you have?

Beastlee
17-08-2008, 05:40 PM
The one from Hamish at limitless, the official Evoscan cable.

peter thomson
17-08-2008, 06:42 PM
All I could do was turn on and off the engine fans. It said it could not communicate with the AYC ecu

peter thomson
17-08-2008, 06:45 PM
The one from Hamish at limitless, the official Evoscan cable.

Maybe there is a difference if you can operate the ayc actuators

Beastlee
17-08-2008, 07:32 PM
I'm on leave for a week and hope to play with a few bits so I'll plug it all in and try it.

Nick Mann
17-08-2008, 08:49 PM
hi nick, thanks for that warm welcome Bollox lol !

Sorry Steve! I didn't mean it in an arsey way. Hope it didn't come accross that way?

Lee - stop fecking about and let us know what actuators you can actuate!!

Beastlee
18-08-2008, 06:49 AM
Patience my dear boy. I'll hook it up before lunch and let you know.

Can anyone confirm which pin is 9 so I can add a switch to it?

ҢдщҚ
18-08-2008, 01:09 PM
Sorry Steve! I didn't mean it in an arsey way. Hope it didn't come accross that way?

Np :-) its all cool !

phosty
18-08-2008, 01:11 PM
All I could do was turn on and off the engine fans. It said it could not communicate with the AYC ecu

And which cable do you have Peter to be able to do even that?

Beastlee
18-08-2008, 04:28 PM
OK, I can only access the EFI actuators. I can't do any logging against the AYC or ABS ECUs. This is the one problem I have with Evoscan...the fact it states that it supports the VR4 but Hamish doesn't seem to spend any time developing it.

peter thomson
18-08-2008, 04:45 PM
And which cable do you have Peter to be able to do even that?

I have this one Phil

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290230412798

bigsed
18-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Just to weigh into this thread, I bought the VAG cable off ebay and it has pins in all positions now. Haven't had chance to join 1 and 4 together and give it a go yet. Will do when its up and running.

peter thomson
18-08-2008, 08:52 PM
Yes my one has all the pins as well

Just to weigh into this thread, I bought the VAG cable off ebay and it has pins in all positions now. Haven't had chance to join 1 and 4 together and give it a go yet. Will do when its up and running.

phosty
19-08-2008, 08:41 PM
I have the same cable as AderC shows earlier in this thread:

/uploaded/1988/1177529829.jpg

Only has pins 2, 4, 5, 7, 10, 15 & 16 present. And of course Pin 1 added to ground against pin 4.

That's why I got confused about the Pin 9 option.

Beastlee
20-08-2008, 07:53 PM
That's because the numbering is in the wrong format I think. Pin 1 is right but you should then go down not across. So Pins 3, 4, 7, 9, 13, 14 and 16 are actually present. That makes pin 4 actually pin 7.

phosty
20-08-2008, 08:25 PM
Not according to this website:

http://pinouts.ru/connector/16_pin_car_OBD2_special_connector.shtml

I would have thought they would get the numbering correct on the connector as it is pretty much a worldwide standard connector?

Unless Hamish numbers his cables differently?

Beastlee
21-08-2008, 07:14 AM
OK, fair enough. Mine doesn't have the numbers inside so I was unable to confirm.

peter thomson
28-10-2008, 11:04 AM
I tried to use my VAG cable today to operate the actuators for the AYC but with no luck .I've submitted a ticket but I think this is where the cheap cables are going to let us down. naughtika on OZVR4 has a genuine evoscan cable and has tested it on the ayc ecu and it works so it would appear if you want to use all the features of evoscan you will have to buy there cable unless somebody else has found another way around the lack of comms

peter thomson
28-10-2008, 11:17 PM
reply from Hamish today,You need there latest cable with two connectors for comms with ayc/abs.If you don't have 2 connectors on a genuine evoscan cable it won't work

"yes you need one of my latest evoscan openport 1.3u cable to make it work, because it has the ability to communicate on more pins that just obdii pin7"

Beastlee
28-10-2008, 11:43 PM
Mine has two connectors but only one pin on the second connector is connected.

peter thomson
28-10-2008, 11:52 PM
Mine has two connectors but only one pin on the second connector is connected.

That one should work then Lee as naughtika has the same one and it works

Louis
29-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Can someone post a phoy of the ecoscan made cable?, just wondering if I can adapt my VAG cable, or if I need a laptop with two comm ports!!!. I had a look on the limitless site, but couldn't see which was the correct cable?. ta

peter thomson
29-10-2008, 10:42 AM
There are pics here Louis ,post 101 but no idea where that spare wire links too

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461&highlight=evoscan&page=7

Louis
29-10-2008, 01:40 PM
AH!, ta for that, looks to me like its a link wire from the OBD11 (duh!) to a conector for the AYC ECU? so you could activate through the main ecu but also the link to the AYC ecu?.
I may try adapting my VAG one?

Beastlee
29-10-2008, 02:05 PM
On mine the link is about 3 inches long and goes to the connector immediately next to the OBDII port.

peter thomson
29-10-2008, 02:20 PM
On mine the link is about 3 inches long and goes to the connector immediately next to the OBDII port.

i meant what pin it was linked to in the OBD block if that's where it is attached. naughtika wasn't keen to open his one up to have a look incase he damaged it.

Davezj
29-10-2008, 02:45 PM
AH!, ta for that, looks to me like its a link wire from the OBD11 (duh!) to a conector for the AYC ECU? so you could activate through the main ecu but also the link to the AYC ecu?.
I may try adapting my VAG one?

you may be getting wrong end of the stick here as i was lead to believe that the extra connector linked to the big 16 pin connector was only ever used if you wanted to flash your ECU which cannot be done at this time on a mitsubishi legnum/galant. So for a mitsubishi is useless, but i believe the same cable can be used for looking at subaru's ECU which can have the ECU reflashed.

peter thomson
29-10-2008, 02:48 PM
you may be getting wrong end of the stick here as i was lead to believe that the extra connector linked to the big 16 pin connector was only ever used if you wanted to flash your ECU which cannot be done at this time. and so for a mitsubishi is usless but i believe the same cable can be used for looking at subaru's ECU which can have the ECU reflashed.

This is why I asked Hamish and he said that this connector was required for comms with the AYC/ABS or he may have meant that only there latest cable will do this.

Beastlee
29-10-2008, 08:34 PM
I though he had said it wasn't implemented yet on a VR4

Davezj
06-04-2009, 09:14 PM
What is the latest version of evoscan at the moment. last i heard it was 2.5 but i have cleared out most of my emails and deleted the limiless ones.

i can't remeber where to download from.

can anyone point me to the correct link. as i don't beleive you can download it from the website you have to do it from an emailed link.

AderC
07-04-2009, 01:03 PM
2.6 beta 8 is latest downloadable version. There's a link on the evolutionm forum:http://forums.evolutionm.net/ecuflash/381128-evoscan-v2-6-new-evoscan-gps-logger-reflashing-touchscreen-review.html

As it's a beta, follow evo4mad's advice just below the download link and use a copy your version 2.5 folder to install it to.

aDe

Davezj
07-04-2009, 01:34 PM
Cheers aDe

eyeballprawn
26-07-2009, 08:45 AM
Does anyone know how I can monitor Knock Count in EvoScan? I can't find it as an option. I can only see Knock Voltage and Knock Sum, which I believe is a calculation based on a number of things.

Nick Mann
26-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Knock sum is what you want. The raw data is meaningless AFAIK. Knock sum shows the "count" that the ecu takes action over. Below 5 is splendid, over 10 is worrying.

Beastlee
26-01-2010, 09:34 PM
Sorry if I missed it being posted on this thread but I can confirm that the disconnection of pin 9 from the OBDII port allows access to both AYC and ABS ecus from a Limitless 1.3U cable. I will be adding an article soon with the instructions on bleeding the AYC using the actuator control from Evoscan.

c0xxy
06-06-2010, 07:34 PM
does this work with the v6-24, same cable requirements etc? and does anyone know if the ecu is flashable on one?
cheers
ash

sickvr4
18-04-2011, 06:52 AM
Sorry if I missed it being posted on this thread but I can confirm that the disconnection of pin 9 from the OBDII port allows access to both AYC and ABS ecus from a Limitless 1.3U cable. I will be adding an article soon with the instructions on bleeding the AYC using the actuator control from Evoscan.

Will this also work with a modified VAG-COM KKL cable? Hoping to be able to do a bleed with the cable i've got, rather than purchasing one of the evoscan ones... - Nevermind, I'll be buying a 1.3U cable asap