PDA

View Full Version : Abs fault

dave221
05-11-2006, 05:04 PM
Every time I brake, the brake pedal pulses as if the abs is working. If I remove the abs fuse then the pulsing stops and the brakes work fine, although obviously the abs light is on.

Is the fault likely to be the abs block itself, or could something else be causing the abs to operate every time I brake?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! /help

HowieP
05-11-2006, 05:12 PM
You might find a tooth has broken on one of the reluctor rings, or a sensor has gone down. HP

dave221
05-11-2006, 05:23 PM
You might find a tooth has broken on one of the reluctor rings, or a sensor has gone down. HP

Wouldn't that put the abs warning light on when driving?

Physician
05-11-2006, 05:26 PM
I'd get an airline on all the wheel sensors to start with ...... any contaminant, especially metal will screw them up.

Re-set ECU by battery disconnection after cleaning.

Spirit
05-11-2006, 07:51 PM
When I had the same issue it turned out to be a snapped ring. And this does not show up the abs warning light.

If it's not that then it will be a faulty sensor. As Rich has said though, try cleaning them first.

A diagnostic on the MUTII will show up which wheel is reading faulty.

dave221
05-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. ... Looks like I'll have to get the wheels off and have a good look/clean the sensors and rings.

Hopefully be cheaper than an abs block, might even cost nowt if they just need cleaning !!!

:2thumbsup

Paul C
12-11-2006, 08:51 PM
did you solve the problem

I know that when my pads and disc's wore down the braking would start to shudder, espically when warm.

dave221
12-11-2006, 10:25 PM
[QUOTE=Paul C]did you solve the problem

Haven't looked yet -- Too cold/can't be ar*ed !!:zzz:

dave221
02-12-2006, 08:53 PM
Finally got around to taking the wheels off!! __ Found a broken toothed ring on the n/s front, so thats obviously the problem.

I assume this means i need a new driveshaft/cv joint as i don't suppose the ring comes as a separate part, anyone know best place to get one and cost?

While I was under, i was surprised how rusty it is, especially at the rear. both rear brake back plates have rotted right through, and the fuel filler pipe looks non too clever, are these prone to leaking?

Maybe it's time to get rid??

Kieran
02-12-2006, 10:02 PM
Finally got around to taking the wheels off!! __ Found a broken toothed ring on the n/s front, so thats obviously the problem.

I assume this means i need a new driveshaft/cv joint as i don't suppose the ring comes as a separate part, anyone know best place to get one and cost?

While I was under, i was surprised how rusty it is, especially at the rear. both rear brake back plates have rotted right through, and the fuel filler pipe looks non too clever, are these prone to leaking?

Maybe it's time to get rid??

You'll need to buy an Outer CV joint kit I think. Carparts direct list one for the 2.0 with abs @ £90.63. Their partnumber is 6201AK. It's worth ringing around, the UK spec Galants are getting better support in the pattern parts market these days.

Not heard of the fuel pipes rusting out, but Mitsubishi's corrosion protection is not brilliant - The Jap imports are even more vulnerable. However, you'll find that although surface rust appears quickly, it doesn't tend to penetrate very quickly, unless it's got a good hold already. A wire brush, some rust killer and a smothering of waxoyl will help!

I-S
02-12-2006, 10:42 PM
My 98 GLS has a very rusty fuel filler pipe also...

dave221
12-12-2006, 09:20 PM
You'll need to buy an Outer CV joint kit I think. Carparts direct list one for the 2.0 with abs @ £90.63. Their partnumber is 6201AK. It's worth ringing around, the UK spec Galants are getting better support in the pattern parts market these days.

Not heard of the fuel pipes rusting out, but Mitsubishi's corrosion protection is not brilliant - The Jap imports are even more vulnerable. However, you'll find that although surface rust appears quickly, it doesn't tend to penetrate very quickly, unless it's got a good hold already. A wire brush, some rust killer and a smothering of waxoyl will help!

http://www.partsinabox.co.uk/ £52.93 inc. postage & VAT.

Ordered yesterday, arrived today !!

Just need to get around to fitting it now !! :zzz:

Kieran
12-12-2006, 11:11 PM
http://www.partsinabox.co.uk/ £52.93 inc. postage & VAT.

Ordered yesterday, arrived today !!

Just need to get around to fitting it now !! :zzz:

Nice find - Good luck with fitting!