PDA

View Full Version : oils

matt mowbray
06-11-2006, 10:41 PM
got amsoil in me gearbox, how often do i change it, or do i just keep acheck on its colour. also can i change the ayc fluid myself or is it adealer job. what do i use in the diffs, amsoil ? anything else i need to keep a check on.
p.s. membeship form and fee is on its way
got mobil 1 in the engine, is that ok

thecustomer
06-11-2006, 11:12 PM
Hi

ATF change is IIRC every 45k miles or 5 years, whichever comes first.
It's a nice rich red when new (as mine is right now :-)
The closer to khaki, the sooner it needs changing

You'll find a DIY AYC change guide in the members' sections

& though I've not heard Mobil 1 discussed here, I had it in my Maserati 430 - twin turbo V6 - so I'd expect it's fine, though it may not have the full life of the Mitsi III & certainly won't last as wel as Amsoil

hth

Will

amsoil
06-11-2006, 11:49 PM
I wouldn't bother about changing it until its become discoloured. If you arn't sure then buy an oil test kit from me and get it checked. Very very much cheaper than changing oil that doesn't need to be changed. Also gets into the realms of being scientific about it! The Amsoil ATF is very seriously tuff stuff and I have yet to find anyone who has had it needing to be changed rather than changing it because it had done X number of miles and thats what people had recommended if you see what I mean. As the man said whenit discoloures its time. (yes I do appreciate I am cutting my own throat on the sales side of things)

If you join the club (best £20 you will spend here) you will get into the members section which will explain all and give you a discount code for Amsoil products. :2thumbsup :2thumbsup :2thumbsup

got amsoil in me gearbox, how often do i change it, or do i just keep acheck on its colour. also can i change the ayc fluid myself or is it adealer job. what do i use in the diffs, amsoil ? anything else i need to keep a check on.
p.s. membeship form and fee is on its way
got mobil 1 in the engine, is that ok

I-S
07-11-2006, 03:25 PM
The recommended interval above is a paper number. It has been well discussed here, but basically the VR4 is capable of destroying it's ATF in a significantly shorter mileage. It's a vicious circle though because typically in the UK it gets replaced with Dexron III, which dies faster because it's not the right fluid for the box.

As said, replace amsoil when it needs replacing. Who knows when that will be...

Mobil 1 should be ok in the engine, but the VR4 is again capable of destroying oil in short order, and even the recommended 4500 mile change might be optimistic, although you stand a better chance with good quality synthetics.

amsoil
07-11-2006, 08:40 PM
Mobil 1 was at one time at the cutting edge of oil technology. It was advertised hard and was well received; A very good product that WAS 100% synthetic. Things change
Now the bottle will say ' made with 100% synthetic base stock' This hides the fact that the expensive part, the additive package, just isn't. You will not get Mobil to say that Mobil 1 isn't a full real synthetic (nor will you get them to say that it is ) ; they will just repeat that its made with 100% synthetic base stock. Guess its what they don't say nowadays. Still a good oil but there are many that are better now IMHO.

matt mowbray
07-11-2006, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the info. Looks like its going to be an amsoil monopoly in the oil department on next service

stuartturbo
07-11-2006, 11:37 PM
not sure on the mobile one but this put me off using it
At work we made the oil pump for the V8 jag XK8r being the last one . and I used mobile 1 10w60 in the endurance/life rig because it showed the most wear in an oil pump one test was 6500rpm for 180hrs at 130degC lesser oils faired better.