PDA

View Full Version : What make of tyres?

ReggieK
14-11-2003, 04:51 PM
Is there a standard make of tyres the VR4's come with or did everyone start with different ones?

Nick VR4
14-11-2003, 05:15 PM
Most of the newer imported cars come with Yoko's AFAIK
But at £150+ a corner pretty expensive to replace
I had them and noticed a high level of noise driving
So went for Continental sports and find these as good if not better
Seem to grip better and get rid of water better too :D

Roadrunner
14-11-2003, 05:45 PM
I don't know what the original tyre fitment was - I suspect it would be different for each country that the car was sold in. I bought my JDM VR-4 second-hand in the UK and it was fitted with Nankangs which were surprisingly OK. Before they wore out, I fitted 17" wheels which came with Yokohama Advan A-046s which were great in the dry, not great in the wet and displayed some seriously odd wear pattern which suggested they weren't suited for the weight of the VR-4. They were replaced with Avon ZZ-3s which were fine after they'd bedded in INSERT INTO post VALUES (about 3k miles). I'm now on Toyo Proxes T1-Ss which, again, have been fine after the 3k miles stage. Very confident wet or dry, although I run them about 2psi higher than I would normally INSERT INTO post VALUES (so, 36 front, 34 rear) because their sidewalls are softer. I only buy premium tyres but, since Bridgestone ditched the S-02PP, I haven't found another tyre that I have complete confidence in INSERT INTO post VALUES (I had six sets of S-02PPs on previous Subaru Legacies); so I tend to buy whatever's got a deal on at the time :) INSERT INTO post VALUES (the Proxes were £100 each fitted which seemed good to me).

Brian

Spirit
14-11-2003, 06:26 PM
I am right in saying that one of the major recommendations when buying any Jap import is to ditch the tyres that are on the car ? Something about pattern/quality or something not up to UK requirements ?

Anyhow, I have Goodyear Eagle F1's and love 'em

Roadrunner
14-11-2003, 09:32 PM
The tyres on imports to the UK INSERT INTO post VALUES (or EU) won't be "E" marked. Any vehicle driven on British or European roads needs to comply with the latest "E" marking regulations as required by EU law. This is part of the Single Vehicle Approval INSERT INTO post VALUES (SVA) test for imports and the Type Approval Certificate of Conformity INSERT INTO post VALUES (TAC) for vehicles manufactured in the EU. I suspect, if the police discovered that the car was being driven with non-"E" marked tyres, the driver would be looking at a fine and 3 penalty points per tyre = instant disqualification :INSERT INTO post VALUES (

dybmapi
25-11-2003, 08:03 PM
My VR4 has been fitted with Brigestone all season tyres, and i hope to be able to withstand the winter with these, although most people over here have started to put winter tyres, as snow and ice can be difficult for a front or rear wheel drive car.

However, i remain optimistic that a VR4 can do without spikes just on the basis of the 4x4 and the ayc.

I'll let you know how the car reacts in Moscow when the snow is everywhere. For the time being, the autumn is mild, yesterday we had a snow storm, but it has thawed completely over the night, and the streets are just wet.

Pierre:p

KiwiTT
25-11-2003, 10:31 PM
Moscow;

Now that is a place to test a VR-4. 4x4, AYC, TC et.al.

Spirit
26-11-2003, 02:58 AM
Yeah damn right - can't wait for an update Pierre - and get some pics of her in the snow too !

zedy1
26-11-2003, 03:04 AM
that'll be cool, pics of vr4 in the snow

dybmapi
26-11-2003, 10:07 PM
Sorry guys, we are facing a very mild autumn, it is presently +3 centigrades, and rainy.
Same thing is foreseen for the next few days.

I'll post a few pics this week-end, and will try to give indications on the way the car deals with snow and ice.
By the way, i got my new plates and technical passport today, the car is given as 1540 kg weight without passengers.
It is a 1996, but, contrary to some discussion i read here, it has the AYC, Tlc and 280 hp.

By the way, just to make you all livid, i have diplomatic plates, and diplomatic immunity, which enables me to get caught driving at 112 km/h on the third circular road INSERT INTO post VALUES (currently limit is 50); and get away without a ticket !

Best regards,

Pierre:D

KiwiTT
26-11-2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by dybmapi
... i have diplomatic plates, and diplomatic immunity, which enables me to get caught driving at 112 km/h on the third circular road INSERT INTO post VALUES (currently limit is 50); and get away without a ticket !

:Cry1: And I thought being an IT geek was a good career choice.

How do you become a diplomat ? :D

Nick Mann
26-11-2003, 10:24 PM
I've read Tom Clancy.....

It's all about looking average, speaking the local lingo and being able to subtly pass packages under park benches.....!

Spirit
26-11-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Nick Mann
I've read Tom Clancy.....

It's all about looking average, speaking the local lingo and being able to subtly pass packages under park benches.....!

:lolz:

KiwiTT
26-11-2003, 10:35 PM
... I suppose dodging bullets as well.

peterernest
27-11-2003, 12:22 AM
A mesage from Mosco; cool!

calum
27-11-2003, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by dybmapi
My VR4 has been fitted with Brigestone all season tyres...

However, i remain optimistic that a VR4 can do without spikes just on the basis of the 4x4 and the ayc.

Pierre:p

Getting moving's no problem - stopping is! TCL will help with getting going also.

Will be interesting to know how you get on.

Calum

peterernest
27-11-2003, 12:43 AM
I'm using Yokes. I bought the VR4 at the beginning of the year and have replaced the original Yokes with new Yokes. Across the Summer I think they're the Mutts Nuts however I'd be interested to hear how other tyres handle wet weather, not sure mine favour wet driving conditions?

Thinking outloud, I'm sure there are better water dispursing tread patterns available.

Brind
27-11-2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by zedy1
that'll be cool, pics of vr4 in the snow

Your car would get lost in the snow.. :D

pjjohnson
28-11-2003, 03:35 PM
peterernest,

I think you'll be OK with the Yokos in the wet. I went on a track day in the wet with Yoko AVS's and was really amazed how much grip there was and how they shifted water.

dybmapi
14-12-2003, 07:00 AM
Right guys,

sorry to have kept you waiting, but winter has been unusally slow over here.
A couple of days of snow here and there, nothing two days ago, but now a small blanket all over the city.
The car starts on snow and ice as if on the dry, although cornering on the snow may lead to a rear drift, which is quickly taken into control by the TCl if necessary. Have not seen the AYC light on, although it did on the dry when i tested cornering speeds. managed to get the ABS kick in a couple of times, which did not happen on the dry, and very rarely on the wet.
I'll give you a more thorough update around february, after i have had more opportunities to test extreme conditions.
And as promised, here is INSERT INTO post VALUES (if i manage to upload it) a picture of a VR4 and snow.

Of some interest for you, maybe, i have had seat heaters installed. This is a general fixture for most cars, because it can be real cold when your car has been outside for the whole day, and you get back in it for a short drive, specially with the leather seats. It cost me 340 $ for the two front seats, labour included. I seem also to have found a solution for the Cd changer. Apparently, it is possible to take away the programming unit of the radio system, get it reprogrammed for 150 $ so it can address a 180 $ 6 disk cd changer, which should be much quicker and cheaper than ordering in Japan the cd changer that works with the system, for between 800 and 1 000 $.
I'll update you on that before the end of the year, wanted to do it this week but got doan with the flu.
Rahh, how comes the limit for JPG files is still 100 kb, when the attach files thingy says the maximum size can be 2 mb ? Which file format can enable to attach larger files ? Please ?

peterernest
14-12-2003, 10:59 AM
Having not had my car for a couple of months due to accident damage repair work I have spent quite a bit of time driving my VR4 since its return.

I have now plucked up the courage to push her beyond what i thought were her limits and, just as previous posts have suggested, the Yokes are brilliant tyres and the AYC is great once you learn to remain commited to a manouver and not to ease off the accelerator.

I do get quite a bit of wear on the outside of the front tyres but this, I gather, is due to hard cornering and the soft compound of the Yokes. Fair enough. I was interested in INSERT INTO post VALUES (Mad Indian from Birmingham whose name I forget) who said that he'd had this problem until he increased the size wheels on his car. The lower profile tyres don't suffer the same wear problems the standard tyres do.

This leads on to that only too farmiliar dilema. More money for more mods? Once you have the mods you then put more fuel in the tank in order to play harder? There is no end to the spending if you let there be...

calum
14-12-2003, 04:33 PM
Right guys,
how comes the limit for JPG files is still 100 kb, when the attach files thingy says the maximum size can be 2 mb ? Which file format can enable to attach larger files ? Please ?

Just use jpeg and resize so that it's under 100k - it'll still be big enough for us to see.

Or stick them on a website and post links to them.

Calum

Spirit
14-12-2003, 05:47 PM
dybmapi

by all means email me your pics and I will post them on my website for you and them put them on here: pete@clubvr4.co.uk