PDA

View Full Version : Project "Broken Lightning"

White Lightning
06-11-2006, 11:43 PM
Well, Andy and I started on project "Broken Lightning" this weekend so I thought I would post up a few pics of our progress ... I have to say that working with Andy has been an absolute pleasure and some rep points are certainly going his way ... Also, I can already tell that the new engine is in much better condition than the old one and hopefully she will run sweet as a nut :happy:

Ok , here are some pics ...

Pic 1: Before we started taking her apart ...

Pic 2: A few bits off ...

Pic 3: Andy setting up the cam belt tension on the new engine with fag in mouth ... I love this guys style :thumbsup:

Pic 4: New engine with new cam belt, new centre idler pulley, new cam belt tensioner pulley and water pump ... looking good :2thumbsup

Pic 5: Bonnet off and a few more bits off ...

Pic 6: Old engine on the chains ready to come out (*)

(*) Unfortunately, this was the point where we realised that there was one more (well hidden) bolt still attaching the engine to the gearbox and to get at it the transfer box for the four wheel drive has to come off - Andy has been busy working on this today as I had to go to work /Hissy

I have to say a BIG BIG thank you to Andy for helping me with this I don't know how I would have ever done this on my own

:iloveyou: /thankyou

Spirit
06-11-2006, 11:55 PM
Looks like you are going well guys. :2thumbsup

richy rich
07-11-2006, 10:54 AM
(*) Unfortunately, this was the point where we realised that there was one more (well hidden) bolt still attaching the engine to the gearbox and to get at it the transfer box for the four wheel drive has to come off - Andy has been busy working on this today as I had to go to work

this is 1 of the reasons i said it would be easier to take engine, gear box and transfer box out all at the same time /pan /pan

well done for getting as far as you have thou

BraindG
07-11-2006, 01:52 PM
oh, Brings back memories this does!... the joys of taking an engine out on your Driveway :2thumbsup

WTG guys!..

White Lightning
15-11-2006, 11:35 AM
Quick update on where we are with the project ...

Late last week Andy managed to get the transfer box off which allowed access to that last pesky bolt that was holding the engine and gearbox together. The engine and gearbox could then come out.

I headed back up to Peterborough on Monday and Andy and I spent most of Monday afternoon and some of Tuesday fiddling with the car. Most of Monday was spent swapping bits over from the old engine to the new one (and it was surprising how much there was to swap!) ... we found that to remove the exhaust manifolds we had to take the turbos off ... when we did this we could see that the turbo > exhaust manifold gaskets were shot so we have ordered some replacements. We have also decided to do the torque converter seal whilst everything is in bits, unfortunately Mitsi supplied the wrong part for this so we are waiting for the correct part to arrive (hopefully today).

Andy also pointed out that my lower rear engine mount was fubar'd. So a new one of those will be ordered too.

Here are some photos of our progress ...

Pic 1: Shows the torque converter whilst it's out ...
Pic 2: Shows the current state of the engine bay
Pic 3: Shows the gearbox sat on the garage floor ... the gearbox oil is also being replaced as it's rather black!
Pics 4 & 5 show the new engine with more bits attached (in pic 6 you can see the old engine in the background still underneath the car).

Next job is to reattach the turbos and then the engine, gearbox and transfer box can go back together ... :2thumbsup

BraindG
15-11-2006, 11:45 AM
Excellent! Good call on doing the seal to!.. you might aswell while its out..

Is there anything else you might aswell do while its all out? can't think of anything from the top of my head though.

White Lightning
15-11-2006, 02:49 PM
Is there anything else you might aswell do while its all out? can't think of anything from the top of my head though.

Well, there is quite a long list of new bits going on already ...

- Water pump
- Cambelt and tensioner pulley
- Centre idler pulley
- Power Steering belt and tensioner pulley
- Alternator belt and tensioner pulley
- Inlet/exhaust manifold gaskets
- Turbo to exhaust manifold gaskets
- Turbo coolant feed gaskets
- Torque converter oil seal
- Air filter
- ATF filter and gearbox oil
- Engine oil and filter (obviously ...)
- various other gaskets and o-rings ...

Oh, and the engine mount but I've just found out that that is a 10-14 day delivery from Mitsi so it looks like the engine will be going back in without and then sort it out later.

Polabear
19-11-2006, 04:21 PM
Brilliant work so far Andy, looks like you are also well on the road to wearing the VR4 wizards hat, well done to both of you.....:2thumbsup

White Lightning
20-11-2006, 09:06 AM
Right ... plenty of progress yesterday ...

It was an early start for Andy who even by the time I got there had got the new torque converter seal in , engine and gearbox back together and transfer box reattached. I left Bracknell just before 9am and got to Andy's about 11am and we started on the big bulky items ...

First was getting the engine (with gearbox et al attached) lifted back into the place. We did this from underneath as the car was still up high on the stands. Although a slow process the engine went up nicely and got loosely bolted in place before a (somewhat late) lunch.

In the afternoon/evening we managed to get the air con compressor back on, power steering pump back on, prop shaft and drive shafts back in, front suspension bolted back together, exhaust on (minus back box at the moment) and front wheels back on ...

The final job of the day was to refit the bonnet so that the 'Lightning could have a rest on the driveway for the night. A big moment as the car had been on stands for quite a while now ...

I left Andy's at just after 11pm and got back to Bracknell just after 1am. Into work for 7.30am this morning and I've got a big meeting at 11am so I need plenty of coffee :5shots:

So a good day's progress ...

Now there's just 1001 different hoses and electrical connections to sort plus all the fiddly/fartly stuff ... still a lot to do but I can start to hear the sound of distant thunder :happy:

Big thanks to Andy again for a big effort yesterday :2thumbsup :iloveyou:

BraindG
20-11-2006, 11:07 AM
WTG guys, youve done well... soon be alive again!

Now there's just 1001 different hoses and electrical connections to sort plus all the fiddly/fartly stuff ... still a lot to do but I can start to hear the sound of distant thunder :happy:

I remember taking my engine out, when it came time to put it backtogether again, wouter was responsible for putting propshaft in, and driveshafts, by the time he done that, all electrical and pipes were in place! - love doing that bit, for some weird reason.:2thumbsup

Spirit
20-11-2006, 12:33 PM
Great news guys :2thumbsup

When is the predicted "launch" day ?

richy rich
20-11-2006, 01:36 PM
good going lads:2thumbsup

The Vee
20-11-2006, 02:26 PM
Great news guys :2thumbsup

TBH a lot of the time is spent with the "lunch" Mr Lighting is on a par with me when it comes to troffing/pan /pan

Ah sorry there's an "a" in that. Well, I'm doing bits and bobs this week after work each day, so hopefully taking it back on Friday.

White Lightning
20-11-2006, 02:27 PM

Assuming no major imbuggerances, the Lightning should be making the trip back to Bracknell towards this weekend :2thumbsup

Unfortunately, I have to work this week /Grrr so Andy is going to carry on with the fiddling and farting when he get's chance this week :iloveyou:

White Lightning
20-11-2006, 02:29 PM
TBH a lot of the time is spent with the "lunch" Mr Lighting is on a par with me when it comes to troffing/pan /pan

/haz

Two burgers at lunchtime ? Us ? Never ... /pan

By the way, don't forget where the radiator cap is :scholar:

The Vee
20-11-2006, 02:37 PM
/haz

Two burgers at lunchtime ? Us ? Never ... /pan

By the way, don't forget where the radiator cap is :scholar:

Is that the Ralliart one perchance??/pan :evilgrin:

White Lightning
22-11-2006, 04:44 PM
Bit busy at work today but I just had to post an update ...

I have a working VR-4 again ... :2thumbsup /Banana :beerbang:

Had a call from Andy ... who has been working tirelessly to get it back together this week and he's just started it for the first time. Apparently, it started first turn of the key and sounds "as sweet as a nut" :iloveyou:

All that's needed now is some oil to top up the transfer box and she can be taken on a test drive (which will be tomorrow) ...

Assuming everything is OK ... the 'Lightning will be making the trip home on Friday and I can't wait :2thumbsup

Andy you are a top, top man for helping me out with this I don't know how I will ever be able to thank you enough .... /GJ

/thankyou /thankyou /thankyou

Spirit
22-11-2006, 04:50 PM
That's great news guys.......brilliant :2thumbsup :2thumbsup :2thumbsup

HJM
22-11-2006, 04:54 PM
Oh wow - that is fantastic news - really pleased for you Wayne :2thumbsup

Andy - you are a true gent :iloveyou:

J :)

Kieran
22-11-2006, 05:41 PM
Fantastic News - Hats off to Andy!

/Clicks 'Rep' button

K9NG
22-11-2006, 06:13 PM
That is good news Wayne :2thumbsup Andy to the rescue top man :thumbsup:
Is Andy charging the same hourly rate as SGT /Devil5

Nick Mann
22-11-2006, 06:13 PM
Yep - very good work by both. And top marks for Andy! :2thumbsup

Alex
22-11-2006, 07:27 PM
Excellent news! Just a shame is has been such a long hard road, but I hope everything works out now :2thumbsup

White Lightning
22-11-2006, 07:50 PM
Thanks guys ... yes it has been a long road. The car has been off the road for the best part of two months so I can't wait to get it back. I have to say though, I did find doing the engine change with Andy a thoroughly enjoyable experience and have learnt a lot about how the VR4 goes together ...

... and at least now I've got an engine that has only covered 33,000 miles :2thumbsup

Hopefully , Andy will be on later ...

The Vee
23-11-2006, 12:39 AM
Cheers for the comments guys. It's the first one I've really got involved with for a while (apart from Scud) as time is a factor with my current job. The logistics of this one has been quite amusing. Engine from one part of the country and trailor required for that, Car required moving from another part of the country (!!) and a seal from Stoke. But it's all come together, the majority while Wayne and I have managed to synchronise days off, as he is obviously very keen to see the workings of the beast. (And of course see just how many burgers we can eat when we should be fiddling with the car) Been a bigger job than we perhaps originally thought, but TBH have enjoyed it and it's also strengthened my knowledge of our beloved VR's. It currently does sound lovely and I can only hope this gives Wayne a fresh start in the world of VR4s. Test drive tomorrow then a proving run home on Friday. Will get together with Wayne and do a fuller write up when I'm happy the car is sound.

Wodjno
23-11-2006, 12:51 AM
Great work Andy :2thumbsup The car couldn't be in better hands as i know how much pride you take in making sure everthing is "Just So" :happy:

If you need a Test car to run alongside you on Tomorrow, or a Proving car to run alongside on Friday hen just let me know..:scholar: Am on Nights but i'm sur it can be arranged :2thumbsup
Don't Worry Wayne, i mean this in a sincere way, not Thrashing 1 VR4 against another, as i'm sure you know Andy wouldn't do that anyway :speechlesJust as a support vehicle incase of any mishaps :happy:

Sorry i couldn't have been there to see more of whats been going on, as any knowledge is good knowledge when it comes to our VeHiClEs /help

But i've been there to support Andy with the Burgers :scholar:

I think theres a Coupla Rep Points Heading your way "YDNA SACUL" :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :5shots:

The Vee
23-11-2006, 01:06 AM
Hey onjdow, cheers mate, nice post, will be doing some early finishing off first thing, so how about a burger trip at early lunch when you've cut your ZZZZ's

Rally205
23-11-2006, 02:16 PM
Glad to hear it is running again and that the engine is ok. I told you it was a "goodun"!:pimp2:

White Lightning
24-11-2006, 09:28 AM
Glad to hear it is running again and that the engine is ok. I told you it was a "goodun"!:pimp2:

Yep, nice one Marcus :thumbsup:

Andy is bringing the car down from Peterborough later this morning and I just can't wait to get it back here /Hyper

The Vee
25-11-2006, 12:04 AM
Well, the car is now back where it belongs. Reluctantly I handed back the keys after getting quite used to the tip/auto on the large London car park often locally called the M25. It ran really well and also a big thanks to my return chauffeur:2thumbsup Yet again club spirit rules ok.

White Lightning
25-11-2006, 12:18 AM
Well, the car is now back where it belongs.

Yep, tucked up in the garage for the night :iloveyou:

With the Ka firmly put back in it's place ... on the driveway /pan

bradc
25-11-2006, 06:08 AM
sorry, still laughing about the fact you have a KA hahahahahahahhaahhahaha

Great job though Andy and Wayne :D

White Lightning
25-11-2006, 09:14 AM
sorry, still laughing about the fact you have a KA hahahahahahahhaahhahaha

Well, it's not actually mine it's my other halfs. /haz

I've just been using it for the last 2 months while the VR-4 has been off the road.

You can't knock the 46mpg that it manages though :2thumbsup

Spirit
25-11-2006, 11:13 AM
You can't knock the 46mpg that it manages though :2thumbsup

Or the 2 days 3hrs 12mins it takes to do said mile /lol