PDA

View Full Version : replacing indicators...

pitslayer
07-11-2006, 03:36 AM
right my galant is pre facelift, with the indicators seperate on the front. hopefully purchasing some clear indicators to get rid of the nasty orange ones, how easy are they to fit in, and what do i do, dont want to rip car apart and not know how it goes back together.
any help is appreciated
cheers

g6acb
07-11-2006, 03:56 AM
pretty easy really.....

you need to remove the grille between the lights by releasing the plastic tabs (long screwdriver - access from the top) and easing the grille back after each one (i think there are 6??)... the head light is held in with 4 10mm bolts, 2 on top, 1 to the front wing and 1 that was covered up by the grille...

pull the whole light assembly forward a bit, remove bulb holder from indicator by twisting it - there is enough free play in the other light wires to not bother disconecting them

the indicator lens is held into the light unit by a small x-head screw on the top

....you will need new orange indicator bulbs as well if these dont come with the lenses

I-S
07-11-2006, 03:18 PM
Actually, if you have smaller hands then there's no need to remove the grille and headlights. Just undo the screw and twiddle the indicator unit out, and reverse the process for the new one.

I use Philips Silvervision silvered yellow bulbs. They avoid the worst of the "fried egg" effect of clear indicators, as they're noticeably less yellow when off. When on, they give a more yellow (less orange) light than most bulbs (and don't do that almost-white that some hyundais seem to). I have them front and back, with smoked side repeaters for a total de-orange.

pitslayer
07-11-2006, 08:24 PM
well ive got small hands so will try easy way. only thing is i missed out on a set of clear indicators. how much am i looking to spend on a secondhand set? also want so clear side repeaters. car needs to be de oranged as it just looks so wrong lol