PDA

View Full Version : Can AYC be deactivated ?

fatmikenz
07-11-2006, 09:12 AM
Can you deactivate the AYC ???
Considering getting a cheap Legnum/Galant VR4 ( not road legal for whatever reason ) and using it for the NZPC superlap event.
Once you strip all the weight out of it i think it'd be a good track weapon !!!

People under-rate V6 VR4's for some reason :inquisiti

Kieran
07-11-2006, 09:37 AM
You can - simply Pull out the AYC relay and you'll stop it working. Can't remember which relay it is - the owner's manual might say?

ritch_w
07-11-2006, 10:18 AM
there is a relay near the alarm / battery at the front of the car.

Also if you are disabling due to a fault / seeing warning lights, it is advisable that you get a AYC fluids change done as well, just so there is nothing nasty that can contaminate or damage the clutch packs (even though they should be static when disabled).

are you having a problem or just wanting to disable?
If you are having problems its probably just the pressure switch - £125ish from Roger Rally, or helluva lot less for club members from Malc (MPBVr4)

bradc
07-11-2006, 10:26 AM
Why disable though? Most people prefer handling on the track with AYC enabled.

d i c k i e s
07-11-2006, 11:50 AM
wouldnt want to disable anything.

Nick Mann
07-11-2006, 01:37 PM
As said - why disable? The AYC should help the cornering? If you don't yet have the car, then try to find a car without AYC - should have a weight saving then too.

ShadyNZer
08-11-2006, 08:24 AM
i was drivin home today and one bar of my ayc light was on all the way home...ouddovit....

anyways auto trader prolly has 8g vr4s

ritch_w
08-11-2006, 08:27 AM
Mostly to get rid of unneccessary weight and crap, and because it'll be a track car the AYC will be getting a workout = more things to break/go wrong.

And call me old school but the less gadgets the better :thinking:

Now. Anyone know where i can find a cheap 8g VR4 ??? :evilgrin:

keep the AYC connected til it breaks then disable it, I'm sure those that track their cars will post up to say that the AYC is the advantage on the track when it comes to grip
(unless you replace the rear diff with a Cusco LSD or similar once AYC is removed - but thats gonna cost $$$$)

fatmikenz
08-11-2006, 08:46 AM
Mostly to get rid of unneccessary weight and crap, and because it'll be a track car the AYC will be getting a workout = more things to break/go wrong.

Now. Anyone know where i can find a cheap 8g VR4 ??? :evilgrin:

BraindG
08-11-2006, 10:39 AM

I actually enjoy driving mine without the AYC active, when it was fixed it felt wrong to me... luckily it broke itself again :2thumbsup

bradc
08-11-2006, 10:53 AM
Shady - check your tyre pressures

Regarding the handling, I just find the car feels right with AYC enabled, with it not going it doesn't seem to be as sharp and precise around corners.

Nick Mann
08-11-2006, 02:27 PM
The AYC makes the car very good at point and shoot. Disabled AYC leads to a loose rear end and fidgety cornering. In my humble opinion! I would maybe lose AYC on a track car, but I'd let it break first and then look into a limited slip diff.

d i c k i e s
09-11-2006, 12:19 AM
i was drivin home today and one bar of my ayc light was on all the way home...ouddovit....

anyways auto trader prolly has 8g vr4s

same thing happened the other day, 2 days now. it went to 1 bar as i was conering and went off when i came to a straight.

so u reckon check tyre pressure?

bradc
09-11-2006, 12:48 AM
tyre pressure is the first thing to check, then check that your tyres are worn evenly.

Xeroid
09-11-2006, 09:51 AM
I think there's a lot of other dead weight I'd be shucking before I got rid of AYC. Drove a new 330i BMW round Puke a few months back and I know the Leggie would just whip it's slow arse at launch and through any corner because of how the AYC lets it put down all the power to all 4 wheels. The TCL on the BMW was just useless, pedal to the metal and wait ( we weren't allowed to turn it off ). Even so I managed to get it a bit tail happy through hairpin and the esses.

CANDEE
09-11-2006, 09:04 PM
same thing happened the other day, 2 days now. it went to 1 bar as i was conering and went off when i came to a straight.

so u reckon check tyre pressure?

Yeah check the tyre pressures.. Last time had this i had a puncture...

Bazza017
12-11-2006, 05:28 AM
is there an AYC Controller??? or somethin like the GTR'S have to distribute the front and rear diff ratio makin it more rear wheel drive than front sort of thing???? and if so where can i get one from? email reply to masta_bazza@hotmail.com please as im travelling
cheers

BraindG
13-11-2006, 11:32 AM
nope there isnt anything like that as standard, nor as far as im aware is there anything you can plug into our standard diffs... Would have to be something uprated that can cope with that. or am i talking bollocks?:thinking:

bradc
13-11-2006, 07:13 PM
Under hard acceleration it will give 60% power to the rear and 40% to the front. Normally it is 50% to each end.

mattpage
15-02-2007, 08:15 PM
I don't suppose someone would be able to take a picture to show which relay is for the AYC?

Nick Mann
15-02-2007, 08:33 PM
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6209&d=1123785918

I've pinched this photo from elsewhere, so sorry for the red arrow and the light reflecting off th interesting bit! Anyway......

Over near the right hand side is a list of fuses. The one that you want to see is fuse 17 I think. The picture on the top of the fusebox (in the engine bay by the battery) shows what I think is two wheels joined to a diff by half shafts. There are arrows pointing in different directions, which I believe to be the symbol for the AYC.

IIRC it is an opaque yellow colour when you lift the cover.

Hope that helps!

Louis
15-02-2007, 09:28 PM
is there an AYC Controller??? or somethin like the GTR'S have to distribute the front and rear diff ratio makin it more rear wheel drive than front sort of thing???? and if so where can i get one from? email reply to masta_bazza@hotmail.com please as im travelling
cheers

The aYC is in the diff (not the transfer box), it controls the power split between inside and outside wheels, see below

AYC
Active Yaw Control
The AYC system controls the vehicle’s rotational forces (roll and pitch movement) by sensing road surface conditions, steering wheel angle, lateral acceleration and electronically controlling the distribution of power to the left and right rear tyres. When entering a curve the power is applied to the outer wheels thereby improving manoeuvrability. When accelerating in the latter half of the curve the power is transferred back to the outer wheels to reduce understeer.

Check out mitsubishi motors .co.nz for all the technical info.

Louis
15-02-2007, 09:42 PM
Try this link to see why it is quite a good thing!

javascript:displayWindow('ASC/asc_low_res.html',590,450)

These cars are very clever, there are sensors everywhere, if you have ASC it is a combination of AYC, TC, ABS,if you are on full lock and you accelerate, the car will react differently, also throtle sensor knows how hard you press the pedal, the auto box learns how you drive, toooooooo much stuff to go into, read up about the set up and research and development.
This car brakes without you touching the brake pedal, there was a problem with this and this was part of the ASC recall, anyhoo you are sitting on a lot of technology, don't just rip it all out to save weight!

Louis
15-02-2007, 09:43 PM
try the link again!, check AYC video on this page, and read the rest!

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.nz/resources/acronyms/

mattpage
15-02-2007, 09:58 PM
Cheers Nick.

Oblivion
11-11-2007, 11:04 AM
OK so AYC vs LSD....
I have a manual with LSD (that makes it a type V?), I'm wondering am I able to install the AYC system and if so I might as well chuck in the Evo 8 diff and S-AYC right? :thinking: The other side of teh argument is keep the LSD but upgrade to a Cusco item, would this be an Evo one?
fatmikenz, how did you go building the car for superlap? I'm thinking along the same lines too /rally

bradc
11-11-2007, 06:27 PM
It would be near impossible. You would need to install the G-sensors, the ecu, AYC pump and diff as well as all of the lines.

Easier just to get a really good cusco one :) Most EVO diff's should work.

Kenneth
11-11-2007, 09:41 PM
OK so AYC vs LSD....
I have a manual with LSD (that makes it a type V?), I'm wondering am I able to install the AYC system and if so I might as well chuck in the Evo 8 diff and S-AYC right? :thinking: The other side of teh argument is keep the LSD but upgrade to a Cusco item, would this be an Evo one?
fatmikenz, how did you go building the car for superlap? I'm thinking along the same lines too /rally

If you get rid of your LSD for AYC I would be interested in buying the diff off you (or swapping for standard AYC if you prefer) as I will probably want it if I RWD the galant :P

Ryan
12-11-2007, 01:49 AM
tyre pressure is the first thing to check, then check that your tyres are worn evenly.

Agreed, I have had the same issue in the past and once my pressures were corrected the problem went away. Credit to AYC system though as it is very sensitive.

timiano
12-11-2007, 12:51 PM
Without AYC =

Further compounded by shagged rear brakes, and bald Toyo Proxies!!

bradc
12-11-2007, 07:20 PM
ahh yeah, but without AYC you have a completely open rear diff, which is quite different to an LSD.

Nice pic though! Do you have a bigger version?

Nick Mann
12-11-2007, 09:20 PM
Heh - it's a nice pic if you know he is facing the wrong way!! :P

Castle Combe, earlier this year, I believe. :thumbsup:

Oblivion
13-11-2007, 12:19 AM
Like some other people I assumed all the late model VR4s had AYC. Anyone been lucky enough to drive both the AYC and LSD type VR4s? :inquisiti It might be the way I drive but I feel the VR4 understeers a bit, either of these options are going to influence this characteristic? /rally Unless theres another way such as getting more power to the rear wheels....:thinking:

Well if I win lotto this week I'll buy another car and do both just to find out! :afro:

Subaru ETA
13-11-2007, 05:42 AM
i feel my car tends to oversteer more....

bradc
13-11-2007, 07:00 AM
Uc has an LSD equipped type V Galant (similar to your car really) but I haven't driven that one enough to know how it handles, and I don't think he has driven an AYC car enough to know either!

Subaru ETA
13-11-2007, 09:58 AM
i have driven uc's one at speed on windy roads and to tell you the truth...i didnt even realise it didnt have ayc!

bbunnys
01-03-2008, 04:09 AM
Ive just taken my legnum out for its first run in the wet today and went a little to fast round a corner on a back street to see AYC in action but my car started to slide and none of the AYC lights came up on the dash. Does this mean its been disabled by someone. I had a look at fuse box by the battery and that all seems fine.

Rossco Type-S
01-03-2008, 04:39 AM
Ive just taken my legnum out for its first run in the wet today and went a little to fast round a corner on a back street to see AYC in action but my car started to slide and none of the AYC lights came up on the dash. Does this mean its been disabled by someone. I had a look at fuse box by the battery and that all seems fine.

Probably. It is really easy to get one or two bars to light up in the wet. If it was sliding then you definitely should have had 2 or 3 bars

bbunnys
01-03-2008, 04:48 AM
So if its not the fuse im guessing it would be costly to get fixed

Rossco Type-S
01-03-2008, 04:57 AM
So if its not the fuse im guessing it would be costly to get fixed

If it is the fuse, it has probably been pulled intentionally to hide or as a cheap fix for a problem.

May or may not be costly to fix.

bbunnys
01-03-2008, 05:19 AM
The fuse is in still can you just yank it out to see if its blown or is that unsafe

Subaru ETA
01-03-2008, 05:42 AM
if it was a fuse i would have thought that the red ayc light would be on. when you turn the key on does the red light come on for a few secs and all 3 bars light up?

bbunnys
01-03-2008, 06:52 AM
No nothing happens at all. The abs light, door open light etc all come on. The word AYC lights up but its white not red but the 3 bars do nothing

Ryan
01-03-2008, 07:59 AM

Just to confirm, silly question perhaps: Did you have the throttle applied through the corner or did you lift off at all? Reason I ask is because if there was no drive to the wheels then AYC maybe didn't detect any slipping (hope I make sense).

bbunnys
01-03-2008, 08:29 AM
I know what ya mean but I was acclerating

bradc
01-03-2008, 10:38 AM
ok, the lights not coming up when you turn the car on is a strange one, perhaps the bulbs are all blown or removed?

Subaru ETA
01-03-2008, 10:26 PM
silly question - does it have ayc? not just a type v thats had the hi vis dash put in? does it have the hydrolic resivoir in the boot?

bbunnys
01-03-2008, 11:38 PM
silly question - does it have ayc? not just a type v thats had the hi vis dash put in? does it have the hydrolic resivoir in the boot?

Havent looked in the boot where would it be located.

bbunnys
01-03-2008, 11:51 PM
Just had a quick look in the boot and pulled panel off by right hand tail light. There was a little tank in there with a gold top on it. I un did it and had a dip stick attatched to it and fluid in it. Im guessing thats it?

bradc
02-03-2008, 12:03 AM
thats it

Turbo_Steve
02-03-2008, 12:23 AM
AYC won't always activate. If you have the traction control switched on, then your car will understeer dreadfully if there is a lack of grip. AYC may or may not cut in, depending mainly on how much front end grip there is.

Also, how fast were you going? From what I gather AYC simply won't cut in without sufficient power below certain speeds. AYC also won't help if the car is actually doing what it thinks you want it to.

Subaru ETA
02-03-2008, 02:38 AM
but he is saying that none of the lights come on when he turns the key on - which is a woory.

if you drive at say 30 - 40km/h and serve left to riight 3 or 4 time quickly does it come on?

bbunnys
02-03-2008, 03:42 AM
No it doesnt come on at all. The fluid etc all looks good but as you say when I turn key on nothing lights up and yesterday when it was wet I was going 50km/h and turned. The car just drifted sideways. No lights nothing and I sure it wasnt working as car got very loose very quick. I only got car last thursday so maybe I should have the dealer on who I got it off and see what they say. Cause I dont want to fork out money to get it fixed. I do have a machnical warranty with car but maybe just best to get dealer to sort it out. Seeing it cant of been going when I got car.

Subaru ETA
03-03-2008, 04:10 AM
yeah hit him up now. pretty sure consumer act says he will have to get it sorted

bradc
03-03-2008, 04:12 AM
yep, it is a fault with the car

Kenneth
03-03-2008, 05:20 AM

It depends on the type of slide.

AYC is, as its name indicates, Active Yaw Control. A yaw movement is essentially movement around the centre point of the car. so if you were to put a stake through the centre of the car, then spin the car, you have a yaw movement.

The diff is designed to either create this movement or restrain it depending on which is deemed best for cornering at the time. A flat power slide does not need AYC as there is little yaw movement.

If you find yourself having to counter steer then yes, your AYC lights should have lit.

I have done many power slides that in the wet that did not light up the AYC.

Kenneth
03-03-2008, 05:23 AM
No it doesnt come on at all. The fluid etc all looks good but as you say when I turn key on nothing lights up and yesterday when it was wet I was going 50km/h and turned. The car just drifted sideways. No lights nothing and I sure it wasnt working as car got very loose very quick. I only got car last thursday so maybe I should have the dealer on who I got it off and see what they say. Cause I dont want to fork out money to get it fixed. I do have a machnical warranty with car but maybe just best to get dealer to sort it out. Seeing it cant of been going when I got car.

could try getting the diagnostic codes from the ECU (grounding pin 1 of the ODBII connector)... this at least should make the AYC light go (if there is a working bulb in there)

Rossco Type-S
03-03-2008, 05:49 AM
yep, it is a fault with the car

Not just a fault, also an attempt to conceal it.

peter alan cox
23-06-2008, 08:59 AM
can anyone tell me,my friend has a noisy ayc pump, disconnect the ayc fuse and all is quiet, put a fuse back in and the noise returns, got new tyres all round, would changing the tyres /wheels, from original size to 19 in cause the problem, is it common for these pumps to get noisy, or is it something more terrible,??

bradc
23-06-2008, 09:19 AM
change the fluid

Wodjno
23-06-2008, 09:21 AM
can anyone tell me,my friend has a noisy ayc pump, disconnect the ayc fuse and all is quiet, put a fuse back in and the noise returns, got new tyres all round, would changing the tyres /wheels, from original size to 19 in cause the problem, is it common for these pumps to get noisy, or is it something more terrible,??

Hi

Changing the wheels and tyres won't make the pump noisy..
Is the noise actually coming from the pump itself ? It's at the rearof the car on the drivers side under the rear bumper. When the pumps get worn they will start making a noise.. Have you checked the AYC fluid level.. It's ithe boot on the drivers side, pull off small panel to reveal ayc resorvoir with gold lid that has dipstick attached.. Check to see if level is ok.. As it could be low on oil ..

Cheers

Wodj

Wembe
24-07-2008, 05:57 PM
[QUOTE=Nick Mann]http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6209&d=1123785918

I've pinched this photo from elsewhere, so sorry for the red arrow and the light reflecting off th interesting bit! Anyway......

If I may ask from the diagram of the fuses, what does the icon under relay "f" to the left mean?

Atik
24-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Is that not the heated rear screen?

Wodjno
24-07-2008, 07:33 PM
[quote=Nick Mann]http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6209&d=1123785918

If I may ask from the diagram of the fuses, what does the icon under relay "f" to the left mean?

Isn't it front wiper ??

Wembe
25-07-2008, 02:21 PM
well, am not sure it is coz i have a button right under the one for the fog lamps with the same sign and never really figured what it does. i know the one for heated rear screen is on the a/c controls

scott.mohekey
31-07-2008, 11:30 PM
I have the same button. I've tried figuring out what it is, to no avail.

ianturbo
31-07-2008, 11:38 PM
The AYC makes the car very good at point and shoot. Disabled AYC leads to a loose rear end and fidgety cornering. In my humble opinion! I would maybe lose AYC on a track car, but I'd let it break first and then look into a limited slip diff.
you need a drive in my capri !
ian

foxdie
29-04-2009, 09:54 AM
So.. bump of an old thread, does disabling the AYC by removing the fuse result in damage to the AYC system in say spirited driving?

I've had another hair-brained idea of making a switch, much like the TSC switch, to selectively turn off the AYC for some sideways fun.

Is this viable?

VR4WGN
29-04-2009, 10:57 AM
um i wouldnt do tht why not just decide wot you want and if its non ayc you want ,drop a non ayc diff in place instead,iv done it to all my legnums lol

Turbo_Steve
29-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Or use the AYC to go EXTRA sideways?

bradc
29-04-2009, 09:17 PM
I can't see that it would be impossible to have a switch to turn on and off the ayc from the cabin, but I don't know if you'd be able to switch it on when the car was already running and have it work straight away.

kiteman
29-04-2009, 11:53 PM
you will have to remove the glove box to access it, its above the passenger toe kick.

Turbo_Steve
29-04-2009, 11:58 PM
Sounds like a Red warning light situation to me :D

Was trying it out on grass today, though, and the AYC takes you sideways brilliantly...just have to be brave with it. And, of course, if you're too brave you do end up facing the way you came.

AlanDITD
30-04-2009, 12:04 AM
I love coilovers and AYC, holy crap does the car pull your ears off in the bend. We tested it on a U bend tonight entering the motorway services, my mate nearly ended up on my knee. Car didnt move.

Why anyone would want to turn it off i have no idea.

Davezj
19-07-2010, 01:41 PM
Thread revival.

i am trying to disable my AYC but i don't seem to able to.

I have pulled AYC fuse from the fuel box under the bonnet and the one from the drivers knee fuse panel, but when i start the car the AYC behaves as normal. i drive off and the green bars flicker up and go mental untill the red AYC light comes on about 30 second later. i don't actually feel any change in the driving though is the AYC dissabled of am i just seeing it over and fail due to all the activity.

i have also pulled the ABS fuse as i have some broken teeth on my rear drive shaft ABS sensor wheel. which is causing the AYC green bars to light, as it thinks the one of the rear wheel is turning quicker than the other.

Any help greatly received.

Patryn999
20-07-2010, 12:50 AM
Do you know if your AYC is factory, or someone's gone to the effort of putting it in themselves?

fuel
20-07-2010, 05:50 AM
why don't you just fix the ABS sensor wheel?

scott.mohekey
20-07-2010, 06:25 AM
Why fix something when you can bodge it even further?

bradc
20-07-2010, 06:46 AM
He has a prefacelift so it will have AYC from factory. Maybe you aren't removing the right fuses? Only idea I have!

Davezj
20-07-2010, 12:56 PM
why don't you just fix the ABS sensor wheel?

It is called waiting for parts!

Davezj
20-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Do you know if your AYC is factory, or someone's gone to the effort of putting it in themselves?

Yes facory

Davezj
20-07-2010, 12:59 PM
He has a prefacelift so it will have AYC from factory. Maybe you aren't removing the right fuses? Only idea I have!

Yes brad, i will double check the fuses but but apart from that i am stumped.

Davezj
20-07-2010, 01:14 PM
I have checked the fuses and i have removed the following:-

see kitty's fuse box thread below (very Helpful),
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46787

i removed from the engine fuse box the 2 fuses AYC (17) and ABS (16) the 60A ones. these did not seem to make any difference.

then i removed fuse 13 from the drivers footweel fuse box marked as AYC second from the right on the bottom row and this stopped the abs from kicking in. which was odd.

maybe i should remove the ABS fuse from the this box also?

Davezj
20-07-2010, 01:27 PM
well i pulled fuse 7 (ABS) out of the drivers footwell fuse box.

switch the ignition on the red AYC light comes on straight away and the 3 green ayc bars are on , as normal, but when i start the car the red AYC light stay on so do the 3 green bars. so i can assume the AYC is off and is not being over heated/failing every time i drive down the road.

do you think that is a reasonable assumption to make?

Patryn999
21-07-2010, 06:02 AM
hmmm IIRC when I pulled my fuses I didn't get any dash lights at start-up at all. I'll check for you in a n hour or so when I get home.

Kenneth
23-07-2010, 10:56 PM
Open the bonnet. as you look in, to the right at the rear you will see the ABS unit and it has a Orange/Red (can't remember exactly) plug which you can remove by pulling the top upward and then releasing the connector. It's pretty simple.

That will disable abs/ayc etc. The lights on the dash might come up, but nothing will work. Note that your ABS won't work either.

Sure, there are other ways to do it, but that one is fast and reliable.