PDA

View Full Version : Short Circuit? HELP

d i c k i e s
08-11-2006, 09:48 AM
okay.

my girlfriend has just rung me, she has just gone into wellington. (9:30pm) on her way into town the leggies headlights cut out and comes back on. so to does the radio/stereo. shes driving into town and its just freaked her out. what could be wrong?

this is the first times its ever happened. the headlights just cut out with the stereo aswell? what are some quick fixes.

ive told her not to play the stereo when she comes back home. leave it off for the journey see what happens.

but this has also got me worried, as im taking the leggie on holiday for xmas and ill be driving at night and i dont want this to be happening out in the country. what could be wrong!

bradc
08-11-2006, 10:25 AM
Could the battery terminals be slightly loose?

BraindG
08-11-2006, 10:30 AM
was it just those things that cut out, and not everything?

I had a problem with mine, where all the power got tripped, and the engine stopped.. turns out it was a wire i was using for the volt meter, i removed the volt meter, but didnt secure the wires correctly, they shorted out on something, causing the problem.

d i c k i e s
08-11-2006, 11:08 AM
will get her to check it.

Nutter_John
08-11-2006, 04:29 PM
Jonny five alive

Ok Ok I will get my coat , could not stop myself though /lol

d i c k i e s
08-11-2006, 11:44 PM
ok i need a diagram of the circuit board. for the stereo cigarette light and clock.

was just talkin to my mate. who was a mechanic for over 9 years.

he sez cos the lights and stereo cut out, the stereo is hooked up to the headlights. which causes the headlights and stereo to cut out. which is why the clock stays on and everything else runs ok.

problems are starting to get worse now. the car wouldnt start for her this morning. again it wasnt me in the car, it was the girlfriend. she said she went to start the car up. it made a zzzzzz noise. and wouldnt start. she went to start again and it made the same zzzzzzz noise. did it the third time and it started.

again cos its raining and quite dark today. she turned the headlights on and she had the stereo again.. same thing happened. it cutt out! lights went off and so did the stereo. clock was still going and the lights on the dash were on. the back light of the dash etc...

BraindG
09-11-2006, 09:29 AM
hmmm zzz noise you say? as in a buzzing noise?

thats something thats occuring in mine, takes up to 20 turns of the key to start it sometimes.. i thought the buzzing noise was my dvd player, but if its happening to you, then maybe not.

d i c k i e s
09-11-2006, 10:27 AM
yeah.. well i dont know. it wouldnt turn over till the 3rd time. so im lucky there.

well i reckon its my cd player/stereo. im sure it is hooked up to the headlights., but i took it into the auto electrician, he couldnt find anything cos it wouldnt happen on him.

BraindG
09-11-2006, 10:41 AM
I suppose the only way for me to really ifgure it out is to unplug the stereo for a couple days, see if the buzzing stopps, or continues..

Paul C
09-11-2006, 07:18 PM
buzzing noise could it be a relay, solonoid?

BraindG
10-11-2006, 01:01 AM
buzzing noise could it be a relay, solonoid?
nah, im pretty much 99.9% sure my buzzing is coming from the dvd player.. when i put my ear up to it, i can hear it.

d i c k i e s
12-11-2006, 02:18 AM
yeah well. when it happened the stereo was off, and noticed the digits on the turbo times were flickering and sh!t. but yeah... it hasnt happened again since thursday... now sunday. no probs. well i havent really done a drive at night to see if the headlights go out still.