PDA

View Full Version : Slipping clutch

mannynz
09-11-2006, 03:34 AM
Hi, has any one in NZ had thier clutch replaced by sterling brake and clutch in onehunga?

Why i ask i had be factory one replaced by these guys lst year and now it is slipping badly, the only mods i have are air filter and evo sized intercooler all of which i had before the replacement clutch. I do not do any drag racing or the like and the car is basicaly standard. Basically pretty pissed off!!

BraindG
09-11-2006, 10:43 AM
obviously thats not right. was it replaced by another factory standard clutch? Those things should last quite some time, and deffo a long time if your not launching all the time..

mannynz
10-11-2006, 03:26 AM
Yep replaced with a factory one. Its going back to them on monday, sounds like there not interested in fixing the problem without me paying again.

Subaru ETA
10-11-2006, 06:46 AM
tell them they are *****rs! is it slipping when you launnch or when it gets under boost at like 80 - 100 k?

Paul Beazer
10-11-2006, 01:55 PM
What sort of mileage you done on the new clutch?

mannynz
12-11-2006, 08:10 PM
I have done 6000 Kms with it slips if i lanch from 2000rmp and sometimes when inder boosting

mannynz
05-12-2006, 10:31 PM
Car went in to Sterling and they said they clutch is fine, yeah right they dnt wanta admind something is wrong.
buyer BEWARE!!!

zentac
06-12-2006, 11:19 AM
To be honest Im on the side of the garage here as its impossible to fit a standard clutch wrong. Are you sure youve not got a seal going on your gearbox and its leaking fluid onto your clutch or something similar?

Kieran
06-12-2006, 12:06 PM
Maybe it was misaligned when it was refitted?

zentac
06-12-2006, 03:13 PM
yeah but then it would slip straight away, and can you actually missalign them? as the output shaft from the gearbox wouldnt go through is it was missalighned.

Kieran
06-12-2006, 04:39 PM
yeah but then it would slip straight away, and can you actually missalign them? as the output shaft from the gearbox wouldnt go through is it was missalighned.

Ah, okay - I didn't know that. I thought you could fit them misaligned, but then manuals are a mystery to me!

agilroy
04-01-2007, 04:18 AM
What was the outcome of this? I know of the guys at sterling, there suppost to have a good reputation :thinking:

Subaru ETA
04-01-2007, 09:57 AM
do you do hard launches? could be a dust build up on the release bearing

mpau009
04-01-2007, 10:18 AM
do you do hard launches? could be a dust build up on the release bearing

Would this cause a shudder when the clutch engages? more and more often in slow traffic i get quite a violent shudder in first, reverse and sometimes second, its almost like instead of slipping something is bouncing, but if i put the clutch in again it seems to grab okay, even though the engage point is almost all the way out mine doesnt seem to slip under once its in gear, only just after a quick change.

I'd be keen to have a look at my bearingamajiga if you feel like doing an article, or posting a pic or something i remember you mentioning something about this before.

Agilroy, are you going to have a go at the clutch yourself? I'd be keen to sit in on it if you do, and lend a hand/pass you stuff ..i'm keen to see it first hand

agilroy
04-01-2007, 06:05 PM
Yeah im gonna have a go at it... should be fun!! i'll keep you posted

Subaru ETA
05-01-2007, 09:40 AM
I'd be keen to have a look at my bearingamajiga if you feel like doing an article, or posting a pic or something i remember you mentioning something about this before.

all you gotta do is jack the front up and pull the bung out in the bell housing. now with an air gun blow the **** out of it *HEALTH NOTICE WEAR A MASK!!!*

now you get someone to sit n the car and with it running just pump the clutch as you blow it out (be caefull not to wack you air gun on the flywheel as it spins)

you are out west aint you mpau? (your name is mike aye, sorry if im wrong!)
i can do it for ya sometime or bring my compressor out to you or something if need be

mpau009
05-01-2007, 10:11 AM
all you gotta do is jack the front up and pull the bung out in the bell housing. now with an air gun blow the **** out of it *HEALTH NOTICE WEAR A MASK!!!*

now you get someone to sit n the car and with it running just pump the clutch as you blow it out (be caefull not to wack you air gun on the flywheel as it spins)

you are out west aint you mpau? (your name is mike aye, sorry if im wrong!)
i can do it for ya sometime or bring my compressor out to you or something if need be

Yeah i am in whenuapai, i'm job hunting at the moment so iv got heaps of free time:5shots: itd be great if you want to take a look.

Iv been reading on a subaru site about similar shudder, and for them it was a deformed or weak pressure plate, which caused the clutch to skid and jump, which does no favours to the flywheel, so i guess i'll have to look at that when/if i manage to get a new clutch.

I'll send you a PM now

oh and sorry for hijacking this thread/Elmo

bradc
05-01-2007, 10:27 AM
If you know anything about computers, you should try at my old place, they're looking for someone....now that I've left haha.

I'd be keen to help out with the clutch too, not sure how much help I'd be, but if you need drinks or food I can be the delivery boy

mpau009
05-01-2007, 10:44 AM
If you know anything about computers...

computers:thinking: i know where the on switch is.. and that they break if you stand on them/pan

But yeah it would be a good learning opportunity to sit in on a clutch change

Russ
24-01-2007, 03:29 AM
Have you checked the free-play adjustment on the clutch pedal?
Mine started slipping at 10,000Km on very rear occasions - about once every 3 to 6 months. At 40,000Km it started to do it every morning.

I took it back to the Lower Hutt Kirk motors, they had a look at it and told me they could find nothing wrong with it. Any further investigation would require dismantling everything - which I would have to pay for. So I drove it away, talked to a friend and he suggested I check the clutch adjustment.

To do a simple check we started the engine, leaving the handbrake on, put it in gear and started to release the clutch - at this point I realised that the clutch was not engaging until the pedal was a fair way out (so used to driving it like this).

Anyway I went and got my trusty spanner, released the lock nut, gave the piston/shaft thingy a couple of turns. And behold, my clutch now works perfectly. So much for the paid professionals - useless they are. It even mentions this adjustment is to be checked in the owners service manual!

Russ.