PDA

View Full Version : And suddenly ther were no gears!!

Andyman110
09-11-2006, 07:54 PM
ive just had a sterio fitted today, got in the leggie all is fine then all of a sudden the N is flashing green while still in drive and im not getting 1st 4th or 5th. just 2nd and 3rd so tryd putting into trip and its still only letting me have 2nd and 3rd.
is my gearbox dead? and what to do nxt anyone!/help

richy rich
09-11-2006, 07:59 PM
check atf level it sounds like it has gone in to safe mode

Andyman110
09-11-2006, 08:05 PM
car is still warm and there is oil on the hot part of the dip stick! does this sound ok?

richy rich
09-11-2006, 08:12 PM
have you checked it right

hot on level ground
hand brake on
engine running
circle thou the gears PRNDNRPRNP
then put it in N
now check the level

Kieran
09-11-2006, 10:54 PM
Only occoured since having the stereo fitted?

Hmmm.... They've not disturbed the connectors going to the gearbox ECU have they I wonder? It's not right behind the stereo, but it's in the vicinity and it has happened to one of our other members - they dislodged their engine ECU and then couldn't start the beastie!

Andyman110
09-11-2006, 11:24 PM
will try in morning and let you know. just seems strange to happen without warning.

SGHOM
09-11-2006, 11:37 PM
will try in morning and let you know. just seems strange to happen without warning.
It hasppened to me, just before Mallory. soon sorted itself with an ECU reset.

nothing to worry about

Andyman110
10-11-2006, 08:20 PM
how do i reset ecu? disconect battery?

Nick VR4
10-11-2006, 08:26 PM
Yes 30 secs will do a reset

Andyman110
13-11-2006, 05:50 PM
well the reset din't work, so i poped into mitsubishi near me and asked them to put on the computer to fault find and lo and behold code25 speed sensor. and aparantly the gearbox goes into a safety mode by leaving you only with 3rd gear and your n light flashing.
so now i need to know where the sensor is and if anyone would have one to sell me? cause mitzy want an effing fortune.:5shots:

Andyman110
23-11-2006, 06:25 PM
ok got a speed sensor fitted it p/o/p but the problem is still there! any advice cause im taking it in to mitzi next week if icant solve it.
does anyone have a wiring diagram or vr4 cd?/help

Rally205
23-11-2006, 10:15 PM
Did you check the wiring between the speed sensor and the gearbox ecu. Check the plugs going into the ecu as that fault is caused by the speed pulse generator going open circuit ie not connected properly or broken wire.

I think the clue to your problem, as Kieran said, is that you had a stereo fitted. The guy who fitted it has probably pulled on the wiring loom and created a loose connection at the ecu.

Andyman110
07-12-2006, 07:42 PM
now then! my leggie has been with mitzy for 14 days now still no where nearer solving the problem. i rekon they have yts boys in their garage bunch of/Grrr .
i think ill give them 2 the weekend then im gonna have it back. wrd are you able to help/help plus ill also want the atf flushed its still a good colour but i rekon i could do with some amsoil.

Kieran
07-12-2006, 09:16 PM
now then! my leggie has been with mitzy for 14 days now still no where nearer solving the problem. i rekon they have yts boys in their garage bunch of/Grrr .
i think ill give them 2 the weekend then im gonna have it back. wrd are you able to help/help plus ill also want the atf flushed its still a good colour but i rekon i could do with some amsoil.

I think WRD is your best bet TBH.... I still think the fact that you had a stereo installed is a clue, but then, some mitsubishi dealers aren't that logical. I do hope it DOES get sorted soon, but if not, WRD would be a good safety net for you.

Andyman110
12-12-2006, 08:11 PM
after 18 days sitting at the mitzy garage with a £340 bill i now have my baby back. mmmmmm where do i start. as i said to the /Grrr man the problem started when sterio fitted so the wiring in the area around the sterio ie gearbox ecu may have been affected. dianostic came up with speed sensor fault so i brought a new speed sensor £92 fitted it prob still there. over to mitzy. the problem was the earth wire was showing too much resistance between output sensor and ecu so he bypassed it with anew wire. prob solved.
but instead of listening to me in the first place the last thing he done before testing wires is "wait for tech to get back to him"/Grrr . hence the 15hour labour bill i got.
NOT a happy bunny.
but i have the leggie back:2thumbsup with a sore @rse.

Nick VR4
12-12-2006, 09:53 PM
Glad you got it sorted :2thumbsup sorry you had some much problam /Grrr

Kieran
12-12-2006, 11:07 PM
Bittersweet, eh? /Grrr

But at least you have a working VR-4 once again.:2thumbsup

Rally205
28-12-2006, 03:38 PM
Why doesn't anyone listen to me?/Hissy