PDA

View Full Version : Twin Plate OS Giken

bradc
10-11-2006, 07:46 PM
My newest toy :)

When I went to pick it up the guy had a bit of a nosy at my car and noticed it was an auto (I was driving my white prefacelift VR-4). He obviously thought it was quite strange I was picking up a clutch for a manual VR-4, so he asked me why I was buying it, he wouldn't beleive me that I had two VR-4's, both a manual and an auto :D The look on his face was :speechles and :inquisiti for about 5 seconds :)

The clutch is an OS Giken twinplate that has been rebuilt for 600hpwith new friction things and has had the whole lot remachined and is absolutely beautiful. I got it for $1500 so I'm quite happy.

BraindG
10-11-2006, 07:54 PM
oh, brad, it looks very posh!.. nice one!

bradc
10-11-2006, 07:57 PM
Yeah it's quite nice. I hope it doesn't engage too quickly though. I had a bit of a drive in Uc's car once and it was a bit difficult for me to get used to. I'm going to run an Exedy high performance clutch in the car for a month or two so I get used to driving a high performance clutch, then I will get the twin plate installed.

Nick VR4
10-11-2006, 08:00 PM
Blimey thats a serious piece of kit :2thumbsup:2thumbsup

BraindG
10-11-2006, 08:10 PM
yeah, even with mine its a bit of a mission, atleast getting used to it.. the whole on, off scenario. ach well, launch the car at every opertunity then! saves the bother of trying to pull of slowly i suppose :pimp2:

bradc
10-11-2006, 08:15 PM
I might get launch control setup on the autronic SM4, then I can do some funky stuff at the lights :)

The big problem I think I'm gonig to have is hill starts. I can get a normal manual car moving from rest in 3rd or 4th gear without a problem on a level stretch of road, but I think even the torquey 6a13tt won't like doing hill starts with a twin plate.

mpau009
10-11-2006, 09:06 PM
I might get launch control setup on the autronic SM4, then I can do some funky stuff at the lights :)

The big problem I think I'm gonig to have is hill starts. I can get a normal manual car moving from rest in 3rd or 4th gear without a problem on a level stretch of road, but I think even the torquey 6a13tt won't like doing hill starts with a twin plate.

Yeah that chosen few cruise i went on i was following someone with a brutal clutch trying to go up the hill from westgate bunny hop style in the traffic, after about 10 minutes you could smell clutch across the whole car park...:afro:

Still has got to be better than changing it every 6 months:thinking: Especially if youv got the power to put behind it.

Paul Beazer
10-11-2006, 10:16 PM
Better start doing some left leg exercises brad...

bradc
10-11-2006, 11:05 PM
left leg or left arm? :P

I'm sure I will be fine and it's just one of those things I will have to put up with. At least I will be able to do aggressive launches

d i c k i e s
13-11-2006, 10:15 PM
left leg or left arm? :P

I'm sure I will be fine and it's just one of those things I will have to put up with. At least I will be able to do aggressive launches

ahh yes.. launches... mean bro! kit looks nice.

zentac
14-11-2006, 08:50 AM
hmmm interesting, I wonder if this would fit my FTO...

bradc
14-11-2006, 10:34 AM
Not too sure about that one Richard, how is your gearbox differant on the engine side of things to the normal vr4 manual box?

wnwnwnw
20-11-2006, 07:58 AM
This looks great clutch kit.
Just tell us how good is this.

Do U think this will fit on FWD V6 galant?

bradc
20-11-2006, 08:52 AM
I wouldn't know about compatibility with a fwd car, as long as it is the 6a13 engine I can't imagine you would have a problem. If your car is the US spec car with the 3.0l v6, then I'm sure it wouldn't work.

zentac
20-11-2006, 09:28 AM
I think I may have said this in another thread but both the VR4 and FTO can use the EVO I-III clutches so Im going to go with a high torque helix clutch.

wnwnwnw
20-11-2006, 10:25 AM
I think I may have said this in another thread but both the VR4 and FTO can use the EVO I-III clutches so Im going to go with a high torque helix clutch.

Are You sure? I have old VR4 (91) it's cloutch should be same as EVO1. I think it not same as the 6A13 clutch & not FTO clutch which has F5M42 FWD gear box.

I just bought Racing clutch kit from RPW. ( did not received it yet) This is for FTO & I am going to install it on my 02 Galant (6A13TT).

zentac
20-11-2006, 10:33 AM
Yes Im sure! The 6A13 clutch is the same as the FTO (6a13) and EVO I to III the flywheel is different, but clutches will fit.

Kenneth
20-11-2006, 10:23 PM
Yes Im sure! The 6A13 clutch is the same as the FTO (6a13) and EVO I to III the flywheel is different, but clutches will fit.

You talking about the clutch plate, or the whole lot?

EVO 1-3 is push type and 6a13 VR-4/evo 4-whatever are pull type. so there are going to be SOME differences. (in the clutch brad has anyway)

mpau009
21-11-2006, 12:30 AM
EVO 1-3 is push type and 6a13 VR-4/evo 4-whatever are pull type. so there are going to be SOME differences. (in the clutch brad has anyway)

:thinking: Yeah iv heard that as well, i was told by the shops i rang that id need a later model evo clutch to replace mine.

Zentac could you please clear this one up, re what specifically you used with the FTO? because i can get an earlier evo clutch for a whole lot less than the 4 onwards ones, but i know nothing about clutch design, so have just been going off others advice.

Kenneth
21-11-2006, 02:35 AM
:thinking: Yeah iv heard that as well, i was told by the shops i rang that id need a later model evo clutch to replace mine.

er... If you look at my post, i state it as a FACT. /pan

EVO 1-3 are push type clutches, 6A13 VR-4 uses pull type.

dickytim
21-11-2006, 08:42 AM
hey Brad have you got the adaptor to turn it into the push type ?

Did this come from East Tamaki and Trade me ???

If so it would be my old one rebuilt.

Good luck I would say it would be harsher that Uc's.

Axeboy
21-11-2006, 08:46 AM
Just as a quickie, I asked Camskill to check a VR4 standard cluitch against all the Evo clutches they had in stock, which included OEM and aftermarket clutches for all EVO's.

None were the same.

bradc
21-11-2006, 09:16 AM
Richard- yeah it might be your old one then. Not sure about an adapter, but I've got all you see there, plus a new 'release bearing' made by 'nachi' that looks like a normal bearing but it has two flanges on it.

zentac
21-11-2006, 09:38 AM
appologies, I missread the information on here http://www.helix-autosport.com/groupn.asp

wnwnwnw
21-11-2006, 11:05 AM
The FTO & FWD V6 Galant has same clutch kit. But the new VR4 has different gear box & different clutch kit.

A secret: (The 4cyl gear box can fit on the fto & the FWD 6a13 v6galant by changing the cloutch housing)

phosty
06-03-2008, 11:34 AM
Bradc

How have you found the OS Giken Twin Plate in use then?

I need to replace the clutch on my new import and given the huge cost of getting them fitted I wanted to get the best one fitted in the first place.

The OS Giken model is specifically listed for the EC5W so I'm guessing it's a complete kit - with the required push/pull convertor kit - and no machining of spacers required.

My local garage is very complimentary of the OS Giken kit - and not so complimentary of the Exedy stuff which they claim they end up replacing with OS Giken units anyway (on Skylines). So the cheaper Exedy stuff seems false economy.

How is it to drive around town?

stuey
06-03-2008, 01:05 PM
Bradc

How have you found the OS Giken Twin Plate in use then?

I need to replace the clutch on my new import and given the huge cost of getting them fitted I wanted to get the best one fitted in the first place.

The OS Giken model is specifically listed for the EC5W so I'm guessing it's a complete kit - with the required push/pull convertor kit - and no machining of spacers required.

My local garage is very complimentary of the OS Giken kit - and not so complimentary of the Exedy stuff which they claim they end up replacing with OS Giken units anyway (on Skylines). So the cheaper Exedy stuff seems false economy.

How is it to drive around town?

Interested too, as my clutch seems fine at the moment but want to have a plan in place for when it goes.....

bradc
06-03-2008, 07:06 PM
It isn't in the car :) I've got an exedy heavy duty single plate in there.

If anything I'm looking at selling it, could do with the cash at the moment

phosty
07-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Well, I decided to plump for the OS Giken clutch. Approx 3 weeks delivery from Japan apparently.

£1351 inc VAT/Delivery (via garage).

It should give the garage enough time to figure out how get the damn emmissions thru the MOT.

matsondawson
17-03-2008, 03:48 AM
£1351 inc VAT/Delivery (via garage).

:speechles

That's almost half the price of my 2000 manual VR4!
Is it made from unobtanium?

triniVr4
28-03-2008, 04:47 PM
^^^^^^^^ hahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaa

phosty
15-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Well, it's fitted. I was a little worried it might be too difficult to get used to - but you get the hang of it pretty quickly.

I just have to make sure I give it enough revs and bring it up smartish.

Only thing I havn't managed smoothly yet is reversing - seems to judder a lot as you slip the clutch (you don't tend to want to launch backwards too often).

Nutter_John
15-04-2008, 09:38 PM
you should try and not slip that type of clutch as it will glaze and can foobar very quickly

phosty
15-04-2008, 10:45 PM
I'm trying! It's only reverse that gives me issues because usually you want to reverse slowly rather than getting the revs high and bringing the clutch up quickly. Forward is fine - no slipping at all. Maybe the odd touch of whiplash - but fine.

Nutter_John
15-04-2008, 11:03 PM
Yeah does take a while to get used to , drove one last year you almost had to launch it at 2500 rpm just to move off

phosty
02-06-2008, 03:49 PM
I just wanted to update my experiences on the OS Giken Twin Plate clutch.

Initially it was a bit grabby - if I didn't give it enough revs and bring up the clutch just right I would be jerking away from every start. I will admit I was beginning to wonder if it was the correct choice for a daily driver through the rush hour in Aberdeen.

I have now done about 3-400 miles in it....and it's just getting better every day. I guess it's a combination of practice and timing with the revs and clutch but also I think the plates are bedding in with any slight mis-allignments or imperfections in the friction material sorting themselves out.

I can now get away with a barely imperceptable blip of the throttle just as I raise the clutch and away she goes smooth as you like.

And if that's not convincing enough - my wife drove it just fine at the weekend without stalling or jerking it while I was crawling around the boot trying to find a low rpm rattle around the rear seats. The clutch pedal pressure is medium firm but she had no issues (she is only 5'2" and half my weight).

So I am well happy with it and would have no qualms recommending it from a driveability perspective. Even reversing is fine now.

Not done any launches yet - I haven't had the new Legnum serviced since I imported it so I have been treating the engine with care. But it holds tight in all gears and that's with about 10 psig boost.

Now all I have to do is see how far I can push it with the MAPECU2!

Gowf
03-06-2008, 10:28 AM
Changing gear should never be the problem with these clutches, its the static torque figure that you've got to be worried about. So really all depends on how much torque your throwing at it on a launch. This is my major concern with the exeedy clutch in mine (the pro shop iieda one). No one was able to give me a figure for this at all, so its getting tested to desctruction when a twin/tripple carbon/carbon will have to be purchased.

My only concern with the os giken clutches was after a story Benh had told me of a GTO customer of theirs who managed to get through one of those in months....but then he does drive like an animal!

Interesting on the pedal though, i would kill for a lighter clutch pedal, its just never going to happen!

bradc
03-06-2008, 10:35 AM
With mine I've noticed that when changing gear the revs drop very quickly when letting the clutch out and the car starts accelerating immediately as well, whereas VR-4's I've driven with the stock clutch sort of slip for a little bit when changing fast.

My exedy heavy duty single plate seems fine with my current setup, don't know how much more power it will handle though.

phosty
20-08-2008, 09:20 PM
I've also noticed the rapid drop in revs as you depress the clutch - I put it down to the lightened flywheel (the shop that did it said it was much lighter than stock).

Which along with a suspected iffy idle servo motor might also be slightly contributing to my occasional odd stall when coasting and then dropping the clutch.

The lightened flywheel also makes it very easy to over rev it at junctions too - though I'm getting better at judging it every day.

Mr.Salas
14-11-2008, 10:23 PM
Hmm any pics of the install???

I'm looking to buy one of these clutch , don;t know whitch one to buy.

The OS twin plate or the other one that is single plate. On www.rhdjapan.com

phosty
15-11-2008, 10:22 PM
No pics sorry - I had a local garage fit it as I didn't feel up to the task.

Mr.Salas
28-11-2008, 08:49 AM
Oh okies damn, heheh just wanted too see what all I need to do too take the gearbox out.

Yehat80
15-01-2010, 12:56 PM
Hello!

Just bought the OS Giken R2C clutch kit.
The kit doesn't include tha push/pull convertor kit.
Any idea where can I get one???

Nutter_John
15-01-2010, 12:59 PM
I think RHDJAPAN sell em , not that hard to make if your slave is strong enough ( or you can replace it with a bigger slave )

Yehat80
15-01-2010, 01:14 PM
I think RHDJAPAN sell em , not that hard to make if your slave is strong enough ( or you can replace it with a bigger slave )

Thanx! Didn't find it at first in RHDJapan, but little more searching helped! /STP

phosty
15-01-2010, 02:32 PM
RB Motorsports is the UK distributor which is where I got both my parts from:

http://www.osgiken.co.uk/

taylor
17-01-2010, 08:13 AM
*EDIT i just saw the date on this thread haha. my bad*

Seems like the un-sprung version of my clutch. except yours has a organic material on it, which is obviously from the rebuild.

I personally like my twin plate. its bighty as **** but you get used to it quite quickly and figure out the sweet spot of revs to let the clutch out.

You defiantly need the push pull kit.

phosty
17-01-2010, 03:12 PM
I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the unsprung version - I wasn't sure if the spring dampers on mine were responsible in some part for the initial jerky behaviour of mine. It's calmed down now but was annoying at first.

Adam.Findlay
19-01-2010, 12:05 AM
Yip brad will have to get the OS Giken (i think its called) movement alteration kit?? this is the exact same clutch smohekey, goku and I installed on Taylors Galant. So brad i hope you have the slave cyliner kit and the appropriate release lever as that is also different for your new push clutch too.

bradc
19-01-2010, 05:18 AM
I don't have that stuff. I'm miles away from needing to do it anyway.