PDA

View Full Version : Fao kieran, psb or anyone else who knows!

orionn2o
11-11-2006, 02:41 PM
Ok progress made today. Alternator power connector removed unplugged. The bolts are undone and its loose inside the engine bay. The belt is removed, now iv gotta get the thing out. Iv started undoing the engine mount bolts but im not really sure which ones to undo and am i supposed to remove it fully or somehow separate the engine from the mount? Any thoughts appreciated! And photos would be even better! Iv started writing a guide with pics on what iv done so far but theres still more to do

BraindG
11-11-2006, 04:47 PM
erm,remove the back engine mounting, and the one on the under bar thingy mah jig, you know where the tow eye is, then you will be able to rock the engine then, perhaps giving enough room to slide the thing out.

If that fails, you will have to remove a side one, prolly drivers side..

You got an engine hoist?

orionn2o
11-11-2006, 05:07 PM
Nah dont have a hoist so didnt really be wantin to undo too many mounts! How many mounts are there? Two at top on left and right. Then how many on the bottom?

Kieran
11-11-2006, 06:53 PM
Dead busy at the min, but I'll reply in a bit, unless PSB beats me to it!

psbarham
11-11-2006, 07:21 PM
Dead busy at the min, but I'll reply in a bit, unless PSB beats me to it!
yup i'll have a go at remembering , i think we undid the drivers side engine mount (you'll need a deep 14mm socket) and lowered the engine using a trolly jack , now i'm asuming you have the car jacked up , its a tight sqeeze but it will fit you just need a super sized swear jar

Kieran
11-11-2006, 07:22 PM
Right - way we did it was this....

Support the 'belt' side of the engine with a jack under the sump - Obviously place a nice flat piece of wood under there so that you don't punch a hole into it!

Unbolt the engine mount that sits behind the expansion and Power steering tanks.

Remove the alternator tensioner and it's associated gubbins.

Now.... At this point, you can unbolt the alternator but you'll struggle to remove it as it will foul the inner chassis legs and the engine. So - with the engine mount out the way, you can use the jack to push the engine up and this (in theory) should give you enough clearance to get the alternator out.

When I was talking to Mo, he also reckoned it might be handy to remove the lower lateral arm at the chassis. Not sure if this will help you or not?!:book:

PSB might be able to point out anything I've missed!:book:

BraindG
13-11-2006, 11:22 AM
you would need to remove the 3 engine mountings no?

drivers side, back, and the towbar one? with the weight on a trolly jack, you should be able to shift the engine enough to get it out?

orionn2o
13-11-2006, 02:53 PM
this jobs getting more and more worrying ! 3 engine mounts! that a lot of bolts aint it !

BraindG
13-11-2006, 04:06 PM
im trying to get my head around what Kieran mentioned.

But, im sure you will have to atleast take the bottom one off, the back one might be ok as it is, cos the engine will lean forwards, leaving sufficient space to get the altenator out...

but, im not sure it will, thinking about it.. im sure the back one will have to come off aswell..

there are 5 bolts for the bottom one, 2 each end of the undertray, tow bar thingy.. then one for the engine mount itself..

the rear, will just be one

the drivers side has 5 bolts, one for the engine mount, then 4 for the engine mount bracket thats attached to the engine - You prolly will have to undo them, not take them off.. but undo them so that you can wiggle it (just a little bit, ah-yeah)

Have a little looky in the service & maintenance area in the library, there are some service manuals there.. should give you an idea.

orionn2o
13-11-2006, 04:23 PM
thanks i'll have a flick !

orionn2o
20-11-2006, 09:26 AM
Well i managed to finish the job in a rather reasonable 6 hours!!!

New ones all in and working nicely! So I got my car back!

Have taken a few pics so will have a stab at making a bit of a guide! But thanks to Kieran and PSB for their advice!

Kieran
20-11-2006, 09:50 AM
Well i managed to finish the job in a rather reasonable 6 hours!!!

New ones all in and working nicely! So I got my car back!

Have taken a few pics so will have a stab at making a bit of a guide! But thanks to Kieran and PSB for their advice!

A guide would be a brilliant idea - it's a job that everyone dreads!

orionn2o
20-11-2006, 10:06 AM
you know what, once i'd started it, I cant say it was that difficult.

Bit fiddly and maybe I was lucky, but thing just appeared to fall into place!

I'll get the pics off of my camera this afternoon and we'll see what can be done!

BraindG
20-11-2006, 11:01 AM
excellent, so it went well then?

good to hear it! :2thumbsup