PDA

View Full Version : a very close call

zedy1
15-11-2003, 12:34 AM
just took my vr4/2 out today for a little run approx 2 miles later i hear clonk clonk i pull over INSERT INTO post VALUES (thinking wtf not again) and switch engine off pop bonnet open and have a good look in the dark whats gone wrong felt the powersteering belt and it was there so i cranked it up again and listen carefully and seemed to me the rocker for the lifters has slipped out so called me nefew to tow mw home straight into garage and i stripped front rocker cover off and had a good peep inside and everythink was fine then i looked at the powersteering belt again and shined my inspection light on it and relised half of the belt was being chewed up with the crank pully INSERT INTO post VALUES (thats what happened to me at santa pod)
just couldnt belive my luck anways so i cut the belt out and replaced it with another which i had lying around in the garage INSERT INTO post VALUES (barrys one :D )and put everything back together and presto it fired up sweatly. had i left it any longer i would had to look out for another engine.

zedy1
15-11-2003, 12:34 AM
this must have been my longest post :D

Brind
15-11-2003, 12:53 AM
LOL@Longest post, I agree. :D

What is it with you and powersteering belts and pumps???? is this a common problem for us all? is it a design fault or something or is it just you? :D

zedy1
15-11-2003, 01:00 AM
ill personnly recomend u guys check your ps belt regulary if its worn u could easely see the cracks on it and that means change it, cambelt seems to be fine and they should last longer. the problem is that it gets wrapped around the crank pully and pushes the cambelt cover in which then gets stuck with pulleys causing the timing to slip out anfd f11cks the valves up

Spirit
15-11-2003, 09:30 AM
Phew Mo !

For the cost of 'em INSERT INTO post VALUES (non Mitsy that is) it aint worth NOT changing the PS and alternator belt regularly - I may do it annually now considering this. Only cost me £25 labour last time to get both changed

zedy1
15-11-2003, 10:03 AM
all it takes is approx half an hour

Nick VR4
15-11-2003, 12:14 PM
Very lucky mate well done
All my belts were changed a few weeks ago 45k service :D

And yes it is your longest post ;)

Kieran
15-11-2003, 12:47 PM
I think this type of information should be pulled together and added to a "Common Problems" section of the site, maybe in the Member's area??:Ponder:

BraindG
15-11-2003, 12:51 PM
there is an articles forum under the members section... however i dont beleive you can see this as yet.. but hopefully on monday i have a BIG suprise which everyone will love...

oh, and mo!.. lucky lucky lucky!!...

Kieran
15-11-2003, 12:52 PM
OOOhhhh! I like surprises:D:D

Yay!:D :thumb: :thumb1: