PDA

View Full Version : Spark Plugs

NAUSED
13-11-2006, 05:56 AM
Hey peps, i have a question about spark plugs, i was thinking of changing mine and saw that i had ngk iredium spark plugs in already and i bought new ngk normal spark plugs so my question is how long do iredium spark plugs last and should i change them or leave them?

Pescha
13-11-2006, 06:12 AM
Notable properties of Iridium are its melting point - approximately 2450 degrees C, considerably higher than Platinum, and it's strength - approximately 8 times that of platinum.

Service life of some OEM Iridium spark plugs can be as much as 120000 miles/193080 kms with very little degrading of performance in that lifespan. NGK Iridium IX types have a centre electrode tipped with Iridium alloy with a 0.6mm diameter. NGK believe this gives the optimum balance between performance and service life. Service life estimates can be up to 60000 miles/96540 kms for normally aspirated car engines and up to 20000 miles /32180 kms for motorcycles - this is extremely subjective though, a high revving motorcycle or extremely modified car engine will most likely wear plugs out in a few thousand miles.

Hope this helps!

NAUSED
13-11-2006, 09:58 AM
so that would mean i should just leave them and not change them, right?

Pescha
13-11-2006, 10:01 AM
I'd check them to see how clean they are, but no I wouldnt change them!

agilroy
15-11-2006, 07:39 AM
Hey bro, Owned 2 olds skool VR's like yours. They do not like expesnive spark plugs. I found it best to run the listed NGK plugs, no iridium or platinum ones
and change the gap down to .8mm, they thrive on cheap plugs with .8mm gaps.
Depends ofcourse on what boost you run, my 4G63's rarely saw below 16psi
allday, everyday, they would eat plugs no matter what was in there and went
hard on the cheap NGK's. My 2c, nice car by the way. Saw it at the last meet at Kelly Tarltons, I love it!! Go the gunmetal 4G's!!!!!!!!!