PDA

View Full Version : Smoother than silky the silkworm's favourite silk pyjamas...

I-S
13-11-2006, 09:43 AM
:pimp2:

Over a very nice weekend at Kierancorp towers, we have made the world's smoothest 4 pot out of an old galant...

It was the usual story.... Amsoil Power Foam (coughcoughsplutterfartpopsplutterVROOMcoughcoughc ough) and a new air filter.

Then the oil.... Amsoil engine flush added to amsoil engine oil, run around for a good 15 minutes, drain, new filter, Comma flushing oil, run around for 10 minutes, drain, new amsoil filter, fill with Amsoil 5W30 (a better choice for winter I thought).

And then the plugs. The old plugs had been in for 15000 miles (standard platinum NGK BKR6E), but I'd suspected that there was something up with them for a while. When we removed the plug from cylinder 3, there was the problem. The other three cylinders had the expected gap at 1-1.1mm or so, but cylinder 3 had only 0.6-0.7mm, so the spark would be weak.

And now it is oh so very smooth, no start-up ticking and just wants to GO. Loving it!

So thanks to K, thanks to Alex (for many cups of tea, bacon sarnies, good conversation, etc) and thanks to Don!

BraindG
13-11-2006, 01:41 PM
Wewt! Amsoil FTW! :iloveyou:

Kieran
13-11-2006, 09:24 PM
I kid you not peeps when I say that the GLS flavour of the 4G63 is a wonderfully smooth unit when it's a looked after one (as Isaacs most certainly is). It really knocks spots off most other 4-bangers you care to name. In fact, I'd say the GLS unit is easily smoother than the VR-4 engine, despite the extra two cylinders - Mind you, I've always felt that the Twin Turbo V6 is a rather 'gruff' unit - especially against the v6-24.

Reminds me how smooth my GLS was.... If only I knew about Amsoil back then!:thinking:

I-S
14-11-2006, 01:27 AM
I certainly think so.... the petrol 4s that I've driven in order of smoothness:

1) GLS 4G63
2) Nissan Primera 2.0? (current blobby ugly shape)
3) Audi A4 1.8 (old shape, X-reg)
4) Toyota Avensis 1.8 VVTi (current shape)
5) Vauxhall Zafira 2.2i (sounded like a diesel just above idle!)

The 1.8 VVTi is surprisingly gruff, but awesomely efficient (auto, it got 37mpg average on a motorway run to hull... An auto passat TDI got 38 on exactly the same run!). The vauxhall was the usual vauxhall ****e... overly heavy flywheel, rough and gutless. Primera was a nice drive, but ugly as sin inside and out, and that natty reversing camera is only there because you can't see **** out the back. Also, you can't turn off the computer/satnav screen, so it glows annoyingly at night.

But I still love my 4G63! If it had the efficiency of the VVTi who would need a diesel?!

bradc
14-11-2006, 05:21 AM
those new primera's sure as hell are ugly. I laugh openly at people on the road driving them.

The 6a13 is a smooth engine though, I like them so much I have 3 of them :)