PDA

View Full Version : Fault Code flashing N gives 33??

daz_zw
14-11-2006, 11:09 AM
I did a fault code check.. because N and 3 flashing continuously. even after reset and on all the time from start to end. Checked the atf, it was low so i topped it up, but still flashing. I am stuck in 3rd got no other forward gears. So i did the code check. N flashes 3 long 3 short. Which is 33 and i can't find the meaning of this error anywhere.. Can someone please help me!!!

Physician
14-11-2006, 11:24 AM
One of our Members, Nick Mann stated that, "On an automatic VRG, fault code 33 relates to the gearbox shifter solenoids".

Sounds so close to your issue that it would be correct.

Nick Mann
14-11-2006, 11:38 AM
Aye. That was information I found elsewhere, not from personal experience. On a VR4 the solenoids can be found by removing the sump.

daz_zw
14-11-2006, 12:14 PM
Thank guys. So is this a mojor job and cost. or quick fix. maybe solenoid jammed. Could just be 1 am i right? I just landed it from Japan and it came like that. maybe it has been sitting too long? ABS also flash out 52 error???

Physician
14-11-2006, 12:44 PM
You're welcome buddy. And welcome to VR4 ownership.

If you join the Club you'll find loads of useful info in the Members sections and Library.

bradc
14-11-2006, 07:18 PM
Another good idea is after you clear the solenoid problem is to do a full transmission flush.

What country are you from?

daz_zw
15-11-2006, 07:54 AM
Well. I took off sump and checked the solenoids. They are all working. Got a 12v supply and connected each one up directly and then switch polarity and they all popping in and out. ???? Are you sure 33 is solenoids? Could it mean the wiring from the shifter or ecu to the solenoids is broken?? I am from Zimbabwe

daz_zw
15-11-2006, 10:23 AM
I am going to check all of the connections anyways.. can someone tell me where i can find the ecu and/or ecu for transmission???

Nick Mann
15-11-2006, 10:28 AM
Like I said, the 33 reference was not through experience, and was also a VRG. I guess it could be a connection fault?

The ECU is behind the centre of the dash, near the floor. The easiest way to get to it is to remove the panel by the passengers right lower leg. There is a gearbox ecu and the engine ecu there.

bradc
15-11-2006, 10:29 AM
It is infront of the gear shifter, at the bottom of the centre console. It is easiest to access if you remove the plastic panel on the passengers side in that area, you should be able to see both ECU's there

bradc
15-11-2006, 10:30 AM
One thing I forgot to say, the engine ecu has 4 sets of connectors, the trans ecu has 3. That should help you identify them :)

daz_zw
16-11-2006, 09:37 AM
Ok guys. Heres my update. I tried to check faults in connections, and couldn't really figure out what wire went where to test continuity so gave that up!! looked at ecu... there was one big one with 4 connection (main ecu) and one underneath with one connection which cables ran to the drivers side (nothing to do with gearbox!) I AM SO STUCK PLEASE CAN SOMEONE SUGGEST SOMETHING!!!! AHHHH.. NO GEARS WHAT A WASTE...

Nick Mann
16-11-2006, 10:16 AM
Are you talking about a Legnum VR4? Or a different model?

daz_zw
16-11-2006, 10:29 AM
O
Its a legnum 25ST auto/Tip

daz_zw
20-11-2006, 10:14 AM
is no one available 2 help me???? i want to throw my damn car away.... ahhhh... one guy here says he's had 3 mitsi's with same problem and can't sort them out????? so i am totally stuck

Nick Mann
20-11-2006, 10:38 AM
Sorry bud. You have exhausted my knowledge on the matter. It's not a fault code I have seen on these forums before, so I can't point you in any other directions.

Hopefully someone does know though! Fingers crossed for you.

richy rich
20-11-2006, 04:46 PM
are you cheacking the atf properly

engine hot
on level ground
in N with engine running

Physician
20-11-2006, 06:07 PM
is no one available 2 help me???? i want to throw my damn car away.... ahhhh... one guy here says he's had 3 mitsi's with same problem and can't sort them out????? so i am totally stuck

Hi again,

You mention others have had Mitsubishi's with similar problems ......... do you know of any Galant 25ST owners in Zim? If so, you *could* try and borrow their ECU's to check if it solves your issues.

As richie asks ...... have you checked ATF levels correctly - although this MAY not be possible as you are stuck in third gear.

Without more info I guess you could have the box stripped and re-built but it may not solve the issue if it's related to something else.

daz_zw
22-11-2006, 08:36 AM
I have check atf and emptied and flushed it and refilled it. i don't know anyone else with the legnum 25st. but i do know someone with a galant 2,5 v6 auto/tip. would it be the same??? i dont know which is the gearbox ecu. found the big one with 4 connections but thats all????????

Physician
22-11-2006, 04:04 PM
I have check atf and emptied and flushed it and refilled it. i don't know anyone else with the legnum 25st. but i do know someone with a galant 2,5 v6 auto/tip. would it be the same??? i dont know which is the gearbox ecu. found the big one with 4 connections but thats all????????

Ummm, I don't know for certain but I doubt the ECU's are the same.

Rally205
23-11-2006, 03:26 PM
Fault code 33 could be the speed pulse generator. Have you had the speedo converted at all or the speed limiter removed when it was imported?

daz_zw
24-11-2006, 09:22 AM
nope nothing at at. havent touched the motor!! is that a sensor that can be replaced?? what can i do to fix it ASAP. i got 4 weeks to fix it!!!

Rally205
25-11-2006, 10:15 PM
I am not sure on the ST but the code only comes up when it is open circuit. Check that there are no broken wires or loose connectors on the gearbox ecu.

enyawbrown
10-01-2007, 02:46 AM
I have a 1997 V6 galant with a similar problem......it gets stuck in 3rd gear.. and they say the transmission is in LIMP MODE...this way the transmission protects itself when it senses something is wrong externally./Grrr and my engine revs sometimes when I'm moving off/Grrr and the NEUTRAL light is also flashing

Physician
10-01-2007, 09:51 AM
I have a 1997 V6 galant with a similar problem......it gets stuck in 3rd gear.. and they say the transmission is in LIMP MODE...this way the transmission protects itself when it senses something is wrong externally./Grrr and my engine revs sometimes when I'm moving off/Grrr and the NEUTRAL light is also flashing

An email has been sent to you regarding your issue. :happy:

enyawbrown
10-01-2007, 11:27 AM
An email has been sent to you regarding your issue. :happy:

thank u m8:afro:

daz_zw
11-01-2007, 07:43 AM
Is it possible for u 2 send me an email regarding my issue 2???? i still cannot fix it. i took it to a mitsi agent here and they ran the computer through it and it give error that all solenoids are open??? have stripped the valve assy unit and replaced seals for soleniods and tested solenoids by running 12volts through them and they all click? cleaned everything up, trace all cabling to ecu and all fine... put everything back together and same problem?? PLEASE PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP.... nobody in my useless country has any idea??

Physician
11-01-2007, 09:58 AM
Is it possible for u 2 send me an email regarding my issue 2????

Sorry pal, the email I sent was a list of codes and how to manually extract them. You already know that. I personally have nothing left to offer you. Hopefully someone else will have further thoughts.

Sorry ........ can feel your frustration.

Ummm, you COULD try begging Mitsubishi UK for assistance ...... you never know. Try the following Fax number for Customer Service - they have access to the technical brains at Mitsubishi. Fax (UK) +44 - 1285 658026.

Make sure you tell them your chassis number etc. Good luck.

enyawbrown
11-01-2007, 11:48 AM
I'm taking mine back to the shop tomorrow morning.......now the car starts idling at 1300 rpm's /Grrr

2000VR-4
08-12-2007, 06:39 AM
I have heard of a couple of people having the same issue here. Seems to usually get solved with correct ATF. The trans will go into limp mode if you have the wrong ATF in there.
Did anyone manage to solve these issues???
Any updates???:speechles

matsondawson
09-12-2007, 02:18 AM
Is it possible for u 2 send me an email regarding my issue 2???? i still cannot fix it. i took it to a mitsi agent here and they ran the computer through it and it give error that all solenoids are open??? have stripped the valve assy unit and replaced seals for soleniods and tested solenoids by running 12volts through them and they all click? cleaned everything up, trace all cabling to ecu and all fine... put everything back together and same problem?? PLEASE PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP.... nobody in my useless country has any idea??

It might be saying the solendoids have an open circuit, i.e. they appear to be not connected, which would be a wiring problem, or a faulty solenoid, or even a faulty ecu.

matsondawson
09-12-2007, 07:56 AM
uploaded/616/1197183388.jpg

uploaded/616/1197183412.jpg

uploaded/616/1197183686.jpg

Just because the solenoid looks like it works, doesn't mean it is not faulty.

You should basically just search for the workshop manual for the galant online, and follow its instructions.
It's about 110Megs.

jpnvr4
11-12-2007, 08:31 PM
ur second solenoid is faulty .... u gotta check the resistance or it could be ur crank angle sensor .... any which way get adiagnos check ... it'll help U find ur problem 10X faster