PDA

View Full Version : TESTING: Classifieds - Beta v1.0

BraindG
15-11-2006, 12:44 PM
Hi guys,

Its been a while, however you have all seen the Classifieds drop down menu at the top and prolly wondered when this will be live.

I have completed as much testing as possible, and i think its as good as its going to get without help, bug finding and improvement suggestions.

With this in mind I am opening it up, and allowing everyone (CVR4 Members only at the time) to play with it (the classifieds!) and report back with suggestions, or problems. This new system will involve the removal of the old forums (or atleast prevent anyone posting in it anymore) so I would like to know you are happy with it before this occurs.

You can gain access to the classifieds here (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/Classifieds/) - Please break, and make suggestions on how to improve. Remember this will be going live very shortly, and if there’s something you don't like about it, say so now!

Thanks
Da Management.

Changes Requested
Change ZIP code to Post Code

ariddell
15-11-2006, 12:48 PM
Tsk! Terms and conditions?!?!! So you mean i am not allowed to advertise families of immigrants or class A narcotics on there?

No fun.

:)

BraindG
15-11-2006, 12:49 PM
No fun.
lol, not on my watch /haz

p.s. the paypal payments go to the email configured in your userCP, i.e. the email you signed up to the forums with... but ill go into this at a later stage, with a how to guide.

WildCards
15-11-2006, 03:00 PM
I've jst whacked an ad up. One thing you could change is where it asked for ZIP code, could this say post code. It's only a small thing but...

The Paypal thing is cool btw /GJ

BraindG
15-11-2006, 03:07 PM
cool, ive added it to the list to do. or as some might call it "to-do-list"

tig202
16-11-2006, 12:27 AM
Just tried to upload an ad with a JPEG but to no avail, other wise it seems quite slick bro:afro:

BraindG
16-11-2006, 12:30 AM
Just tried to upload an ad with a JPEG but to no avail, other wise it seems quite slick bro:afro:
what happened?

Nutter_John
16-11-2006, 12:34 AM
looking good Barry

Physician
16-11-2006, 12:39 AM
I also tried to place an ad with a pic Barry.

It said that JPG wasn't supported!

Spirit
16-11-2006, 01:16 AM
Same as Rich

BraindG
16-11-2006, 01:16 AM
k, school boy, only admins could upload images..

try now pleas.e

BraindG
16-11-2006, 01:17 AM
Same as Rich
eh? your admin, you should have been able to place an ad with images?

Spirit
16-11-2006, 01:20 AM
When I edit the ad it says the image is there, as I can delete it but the pic does not actually show up ?

BraindG
16-11-2006, 01:22 AM
oh, the first image you upload is the index image, the following ones are the advert images..

Spirit
16-11-2006, 01:27 AM
Not sure what you mean mate. Get message saying something about "unable to write" or such like

BraindG
16-11-2006, 01:29 AM
hmm, im not sure it all works for me, and you have same permissions as me..

please details steps, and perhaps a screenie.. as i cant replicate that error :(

Spirit
16-11-2006, 01:40 AM
Here's where it shows there is a pic, but not showing (when you edit the advert)

Spirit
16-11-2006, 01:41 AM
If you click on rebuild thumnail you get this:

BraindG
16-11-2006, 01:46 AM
how odd, i cant even edit yours, and add to it.... :inquisiti

ill have a play with it tomorrow..

Spirit
16-11-2006, 01:47 AM
I can see where you have tried to add pix and they are not showing either:

barry2.jpg and 2004.jpg

BraindG
16-11-2006, 01:49 AM
I can see where you have tried to add pix and they are not showing either:

barry2.jpg and 2004.jpg
yeah, /shrug... will look into it tomorrow, when brain is in gear..

thecustomer
16-11-2006, 04:49 PM
Hi Barry

created the ad ok, using Opera 9 on an intel mac:
loading it got these error messages

Will

Warning: copy(/home/braindg/public_html/forum/Classifieds/data/7/large/2006_gold_logo.jpg) [function.copy]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /Classifieds/image-inc.php on line 310

Warning: getimagesize(/home/braindg/public_html/forum/Classifieds/data/7/large/2006_gold_logo.jpg) [function.getimagesize]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /Classifieds/image-inc.php on line 99

Warning: unlink(/home/braindg/public_html/forum/Classifieds/data/7/large/2006_gold_logo.jpg) [function.unlink]: No such file or directory in /Classifieds/image-inc.php on line 109

BraindG
13-01-2007, 03:14 PM
Ok, I have completed pretty much all the graphical changes i feel are required to make it look pretty.

I have also made the following changes.

1. Cleaned up Each Catagory to only show Item title.
2. Removed the "wanted" images from within the wanted category. (looked really ugly) - This along with point 1 makes this category very pleasing on the eye (i think)
3. Changed "per page" to allow 10, and 20 items.
4. Redesigned the actual ads, so its easier on the eyes.
5. Got rid of some of the crap within the comments, trying to keep it a bit cleaner.

If you have any suggestions on how to improve things please reply, at the end of the day you guys will be using it, and if theres scope for improvement we might aswell address them.

P.s. Has anyone found any other problems with the classifieds?

Thank you.
Barry

Nick Mann
15-01-2007, 09:23 PM
As far as I can tell, there is no way to tell if adverts have been added in the new classifieds without going in to each section. Is it worth having a last time modified/added column?

BraindG
17-01-2007, 10:14 AM
Ill take a look what i can do, the previous collumn, as far as i remember (and why its ben removed) only showed last comment. Rather than last advert, but ill take a look, its a good point Nick.. cheers.

Gly
06-02-2007, 12:26 AM
been looking thru it,

my personal opinion is i dont like any off it,

please dont do this to the NZ B/S/E section

BraindG
06-02-2007, 11:37 AM
been looking thru it,

my personal opinion is i dont like any off it,

please dont do this to the NZ B/S/E section
thats not very constructive :p

What dont you like, why dont you like any off it, and what would you change.

bernmc
06-02-2007, 06:16 PM
I think that whatever you do, new ad's should show up when a user clicks on 'New Posts'.

I never just browse the forums - I sit down, click on 'new posts' and read anything that catches my eye. Then I mark everything as read, and repeat when I come back.

I've never looked at a classified unless it was specifically mentioned in a post - I'm very like a god ;), I know, but I suspect there are other who do something similar, which means that sellers are missing their market, and we're missing out on some bargains.

I buy more off MLR than I do here, which is a sorry state of affairs - but their for sale part is just another forum section so I see it in the 'new posts'.

Gly
06-02-2007, 07:28 PM
thats not very constructive :p

What dont you like, why dont you like any off it, and what would you change.

i dont like any off it, confusing to look thru,
i would change it all back to how it was,

but maybe have a subsection in the BSE,

like Parts wanted, parts fs, cars fs etc....

and i really dont like how theres a classifieds drop down bar...

y cant the old BSE link to it,
its alot more obvious to new comers

i know you've spent alot of time on it, but i just dont think its very user friendly at all.

White Lightning
06-02-2007, 08:28 PM
I think that whatever you do, new ad's should show up when a user clicks on 'New Posts'.

I agree with Bern on this ...

BraindG
06-02-2007, 11:39 PM

I agree with Bern on this ...

This is one of the things being worked on atm.

Axeboy
06-02-2007, 11:59 PM
Agree with above.

I understand the work thats been put into this new version, and i feel guilty saying it doesnt work...

But the for sale section previously was quite popular. As with many members, I always use the "New Posts" option... its very handy!

BraindG
07-02-2007, 09:36 AM
there is one thing that you guys dont see, and this was something outlined at the meeting, but if i look at the hits to the site it is quite suprising where people arrive , and its this information i base a majority of descisions on, rather than peoples habits.

I am open to suggestions to improve the classifieds, however i'll not be resorting back to the forum based classifieds.

Axeboy
07-02-2007, 10:25 AM
Is it possible to have the new for sale items included in the new posts?

I think that would help greatly

BraindG
07-02-2007, 12:01 PM
Is it possible to have the new for sale items included in the new posts?

I think that would help greatly
yup, this is priority numero uno.. and should be live by tonight, ive jsut tested code, and it works.

Spirit
07-02-2007, 01:36 PM
yup, this is priority numero uno.. and should be live by tonight, ive jsut tested code, and it works.

Great news Barry - I reckon that will help a lot :pimp2:

BraindG
07-02-2007, 06:29 PM
K, ive implemented a very basic idea for the latest 4 adverts from the classfieds when you click new posts. Ive also made it so that you can be "minimised". I will be formatting it so that it looks more like the new posts bit soon.

Thoughts on this?

thecustomer
07-02-2007, 06:41 PM
K, ive implemented a very basic idea for the latest 4 adverts from the classfieds when you click new posts. Ive also made it so that you can be "minimised". I will be formatting it so that it looks more like the new posts bit soon.

Thoughts on this?

I like it a lot :happy:

+ while agreeing with Bernmc as to how *I* use the site, I know from my work that the stats don't lie, and that folk's traffic patterns across the site don't always show what you might expect.

Will

Kieran
07-02-2007, 06:48 PM

Thoughts on this?

I think that'll encourage more use of the Classifieds. /GJ

BraindG
07-02-2007, 06:55 PM
lets see how it goes :p

but i know it already gets alot of hits from the outside i.e. google.

Nick Mann
07-02-2007, 08:12 PM
Yeah, Barry. You knew my feelings on it too. And I have to say that should work perfectly. A snapshot of latest adverts will also prompt people to have a quick look at what else is around.

:thumbsup: from me!

Spirit
07-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Great idea Barry :pimp2:

Only one question, can the ads be randomly rotated ? Seems a little unfair that a non-member may pay a £1 and have their ad on display up there for maybe several days or more.....and the older ads placed by members don't get shown unless peeps go into the classifieds.

just a thought

BraindG
07-02-2007, 08:33 PM
yeah, they can be... but then its not the latest items :thinking: which kinda defeats the purpose of doing it :P

Spirit
07-02-2007, 08:34 PM
yeah, they can be... but then its not the latest items :thinking: which kinda defeats the purpose of doing it :P

Not really......it keeps the classifieds in peoples minds at all times.....?

bernmc
07-02-2007, 09:13 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nick Mann
07-02-2007, 09:14 PM
I want horizontal again! Vertical is pants. :p

BraindG
07-02-2007, 09:15 PM
yah sorry about that!... i made a change, then had dinner.... forgot all about it.

Axeboy
07-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Looks great :)

Nick Mann
07-02-2007, 09:25 PM
LOL! I forgive you, boss! I like it again now!!

Wodjno
08-02-2007, 09:46 AM
Great idea Barry :pimp2:

Only one question, can the ads be randomly rotated ? Seems a little unfair that a non-member may pay a £1 and have their ad on display up there for maybe several days or more.....and the older ads placed by members don't get shown unless peeps go into the classifieds.

just a thought

I think this would be a good idea to :pimp2:

Reason being is, i know it's displaying the latest ads :D. But if i place an Ad now ! And then in the next 10 mins 3 others place Ads, mine will no longer be displayed :( Rotation sounds like a great option !!

1 more thing ? If it is done on rotation, and someone hasn't placed a picture in there ad ! Will a description still be displayed or will it be Blank ?

BraindG
08-02-2007, 10:06 AM
it would be a still image Glenn, im might change the wanted image to a "no image" image.

im in two minds about this random vs latest thing.

I know the hits the classifieds gets from the outside, although i will have to review this after this month/week to see the correlation between hits from "search" (new posts) and hits from outside (google). (In other words i need to see the usage this new feature gets)

This new feature under new posts is really only for you guys, and you would be surprised at how many people don't actually use new posts! (which is something im adding to the "site-guide") So if you guys want it, fair enough but again if you see the latest ads it will still prompt you to go take a look, and while your there, like any website/search engine you will browse that area. Additionally there is a random ads block on the classifieds main page anyways, which i could change or add so that some random adverts are shown on the side block (currently only one)

so yeah, /shrug personally i feel it needs to be latest, even if i made it the latest 8 adverts (i will be removing the images so that it only shows the name, date posted and who by... kinda like how new posts currently looks.)

Spirit
08-02-2007, 11:51 AM
personally i feel it needs to be latest, even if i made it the latest 8 adverts (i will be removing the images so that it only shows the name, date posted and who by... kinda like how new posts currently looks.)

That may be a good compromise :pimp2: