PDA

View Full Version : Whistling sound after gearbox job. Any ideas?

Jamo
16-11-2006, 10:03 AM
I spotted my VR-4 was leaking transmission oil, so it went in to Mitsubishi and they took out the gearbox, replaced a failing oil seal and replaced the gearbox (part £10.63 +VAT, labour £372 +VAT, luckily paid for by Warranty Direct...phew).

However, as I drove it away, I instantly noticed a whistling sound, much like an old-style kettle as it first begins to whistle or a little kid who hasn't quite become a master whistler yet, seemingly coming from the pasenger aside area of the engine. I thought it might be something that would settle in, but the following day it was just as bad. I informed Mitsubishi, who said it may well be something that will settle down. However, after another day of driving it with this 'whistling sound', I've arranged to take it back to Mitsubishi, so I can take out the mechanic that worked on it and point him at the sound.

Through experimenting, I've noticed the whistling seems to rise and fall if I gently press, then let off the accelerator while maintaining say, 40mph. It's there most of the time though and as I picked up a mate I go to the pub with every fortnight, it took him less than a minute to ask, unprompted, 'what's that whistling sound?'

As I arranged to take it back for a look, I asked Mitsubishi if they had any ideas off the top of their head. They said it could be anything till they take a look. But I said it must surely be connected to the gearbox in/out, oil seal replacement as I've had the car for four and a half years with no whistling...get it back from this job, and it's whistling.

Of course, they said it might be coincidence. Can't be, can it?

Any ideas that I can be ready with before I take their mechanic out in it tomorrow? I'd appreciate any ideas. Thank you in advamnce.

It's a post-facelift Ralliart UK-spec model (saloon).

Nick Mann
16-11-2006, 10:09 AM
Torque Convertor? But unless they have damaged it, why would it start whistling now? I don't know the system in enough detail..... I mean, I know how it fits together, but I don't know enough about how the oil flows and how the TC copes with changed oil flow etc.

richy rich
16-11-2006, 10:27 AM
ok there is a possibility that the shear plate has been bent and the bolts that hold the t/c are hitting it it will sound a bit like a whistle.

does this happen if car stationary and revved.

Nick Mann
16-11-2006, 10:29 AM
Mine did that when I bought it, rich. The sound is nothing like a kettle boiling, but more rattly. I would be quite suprised if that is the problem.

richy rich
16-11-2006, 10:33 AM
ok ok be told /pan /pan /pan

Nick Mann
16-11-2006, 10:35 AM
:iloveyou:

I guess it is an easy thing to check, though. Inspection window off (if you have one!) and then check the four bolts. If there is any rubbing, the bolt heads will be nice and shiny!

zedy1
16-11-2006, 02:15 PM
turbo pipeing?

BraindG
16-11-2006, 03:10 PM
turbo pipeing?
yeah, i was thinking that aswell. when i had a pipe off, or with a hole in it it would make a whistling noise.

thecustomer
16-11-2006, 05:01 PM
yeah, I got the same when my gearbox was changed - it's a slight whine (sounds a bit like unsuppressed electrics interference on the radio), mainly when I've my foot gently on the accelerator.
Seems to disappear under full load.
Has gradually reduced over last 3k miles.

thecustomer
16-11-2006, 06:21 PM
yeah, I got the same when my gearbox was changed - it's a slight whine (sounds a bit like unsuppressed electrics interference on the radio), mainly when I've my foot gently on the accelerator.
Seems to disappear under full load.
Has gradually reduced over last 3k miles.

tig202
16-11-2006, 09:07 PM
yeah, i was thinking that aswell. when i had a pipe off, or with a hole in it it would make a whistling noise.

That would be the 1st thing I would check 4 bro:scholar:

zedy1
16-11-2006, 09:14 PM
also get them to check if the topped the transfer box

thecustomer
16-11-2006, 11:06 PM
also get them to check if the topped the transfer box

I did wonder if the two were connected: I'm due a service & ayc change next week... I'll let you know if my whine goes afterwards

Will

chris g
16-11-2006, 11:52 PM
Mechanic got stuck under bonnet trying to attract your attention?

Jamo
17-11-2006, 02:00 AM
Cheers for all the ideas. Still whistling tonight. It may have lessened, but that might be just my paranoia that it'll disappear the moment the mechanic sits in my passenger seat. Oh well, I'll see what they say tomorrow and tell you all.

If they say it'll settle down, then I'll go with that. At least I'll have shown them my concerns and made them aware I spotted it was present the moment they gave me back my car after the gearbox seal job.

Till tomorrow, then.

Jamo
17-11-2006, 09:34 PM
Well, I left for Mitsubishi this morning...still some whistling, though admittedly, it does seem to be lessening a bit. Got there...half hour motorway drive away...still whistling a touch as I drew close to Mitsubishi.

Get there, get the mechanic in, drive off and....you guessed it. No whistling. Grrr. Well, a little but very faint.

He did seem a good bloke and explained to me that these things can settle in. After all, as he said (or at least, this is how it went into my non-mechanical head), a lot of things were put back together and this sort of thing can be expected.

Decent bunch though. And they assured me that if anything does come of this, then their repair is guaranteed anyway and they'll look after me.

And did they all laugh once I'd gone? Maybe. Oh well. I certainly did not imagine it. But like a lot of things...it went away the moment the mechanic sat in and listened.

And as I drove home afterwards? Yup, it whistled. Quieter though. Bah!

The Vee
18-11-2006, 12:26 AM
Just fitted a new T/C seal to one I'm fiddling about with at the moment. The new one is very much tighter over the shaft, just perhaps this may have been your whistle. Not actually started this one yet.

Louis
18-11-2006, 01:50 AM
I got exactly the noise you describe, but only on very cold mornings, (icey and freezing), get it for about 2 minutes, then it goes as car warms up.
But it is exactly as you describe,.
Noise came with new gearbox when supplied by mitsy, old one died, and they fitted new one under warranty. nevr caused any probs and it's done 50k.

thecustomer
18-11-2006, 03:35 PM
Noise came with new gearbox when supplied by mitsy, old one died, and they fitted new one under warranty. nevr caused any probs and it's done 50k.

wow - a *new* gearbox under warranty!

Did you know Mitsi list price is over £5k?

If you can extend that warranty when it comes to an end, it'll pay you

Will

Jamo
20-11-2006, 10:29 PM
Yeah, my whistling's still there. I suppose everything does still work, but it's annoying you know. Well, time to get on with life and start listening to the stereo again. Perhaps I'll have a listen 3 months from now and find it's gone.