PDA

View Full Version : So....I've just been to look at a VR4

the_boy
15-11-2003, 08:45 PM
This car has been advertised for a couple of weeks now and I thought I'd go and take a look, it's only a couple of miles up the road but by the time I got there I was quite excited :yakyak:

The car sounded and looked good from the website
1997, Black saloon with all the bits and pieces etc for 8995

Well when I got there the car didn't look very good at all, it had quite a few dents and bits of paint missing and part of the bodykit near the rear wheel was loose. In addition the car didn't have the right alloys on it and although they were BBS they looked too small and there was a fair amount of wear and tear on the tyres.

The only good thing about it was that it was a manual rather than tiptronic like it stated in the ad :coolio:

So I'm standing there looking over it and thinking I'm not too sure to be honest when the salesman comes over and asks me if I'm interested etc. I said I wasn't sure and pointed out the paintwork etc, he said yeah we can sort that out when it gets cleaned up prior to sale. I'm thinking some of those dents don't look like they'll come out to me....
It was like someone had opened a car door into it.

Anyway I thought we'll it can be put right and said OK can I book a test drive etc. He then told me they don't do them :mad: and it all boiled down to the fact that I would have to put a deposit down if I wanted to take it out? The way he said it was that he was sure I would buy it once I'd driven it etc which made me feel like either way I'd have trouble getting my deposit back if I didn't. I mean I've never driven or been in a Legnum before. I've read loads about them but I want to know if I'll like it etc. Will it be too low when driving, will I like the cornering. You know what I mean?

Anyway I came away very disappointed not just in the car but also the place itself. How can they sell cars without allowing testdrives? After thinking about it tonight I don't think I'll go back to look at it again.

It costs 8995
It's also done 52,000 miles which means it'll be due it's big service soon £800
It needs bigger alloys and new tyres = up to £1000
It may need some more sprucing up with regards to dents etc
You shouldn't have to pay another £2000 on top for a car like this.

I'm really gutted cos it looked good in black and was a manual :bawling:
But there's no way I'd buy a car without a test drive

Sorry for the essay but I really needed to get it off my chest, think I'll grab myself a beer of two to cheer me up :beerbang: :beerbang: :beerclash

Here it is (http://www.a1centre.co.uk)

Brind
15-11-2003, 08:58 PM
The no test drive part would put me off instantly, if the car wasn't in great condition it makes you wonder if the no test drive policy was just on that car to cover up any other faults.
At 52k miles it should have had it's major at 45k so you'd either save yourself £700 or run into other problems shortly if the servicing wasn't done and likewise with other service intervals.

If you could knock the dealer down to a reasonable price it would be good to give it a good going over with a full check and history as little dents and touched up paint isn't the end of the world.
All down to the price the dealer will let it go for though.

Saloon VR-4 isn't a Legnum.;)

SGHOM
15-11-2003, 09:18 PM
the dealer has a responsibility to prepare the car to the highest standards possible. It just seem unfortunate you saw the car unprepared for retail sale. If your were genuinley interested in it, then the dealer cannot refuse you a test drive, neither can he take a deposit from you. If you are prepared to pay the asking price, or near to it, then all the work required to bring it up to standard , must be done by the dealer. including the correct wheels & tyres, a full service & MOT. the paintwork repaired to an acceptable standard.
I used to sell cars myself, & you'd be supprised at the number of "new" cars, requiring paintwork prior to retail sale, [ 53 reg cars, having new door skins fitted ]
Asking you for a deposit is only to deter "test pilots & joy riders " . My advice is just dont take any bull**** from a dealer. If you are keen on the car, then go back & take a test drive, If you have any nagging doubts about it, just walk away.

Kevin Jones
15-11-2003, 11:17 PM
I bought mine from there back in June, I had no problem with taking it for a test drive.But then again I'm an oldarse and I'd travelled a long way to see it.Mine was also up for £8995. I liked the car and offered to meet the asking price, if he'd include 12 months tax, a cat 1 alarm and a cd player.The lad INSERT INTO post VALUES ( Dale ) spoke to his brother who owns the gaff and he agreed the deal.I give him a £250 deposit, went home, then went back up about 3 weeks later when it had been MOT'd, SVA'd and registered and picked it up.Yer man Dale seems alright, but his brother tried to go back on the deal when I went to collect it by only offering 6 months tax INSERT INTO post VALUES ( I think its probably the standard just to get away with a few quid ) I just said I'd shaken hands on the deal and that if he was a man he'd honour that, and fair do's he did.

zedy1
16-11-2003, 12:26 AM
if the vr4 had just come in country it is possible it has all te dents in japan cus its a very tight place down there ive done a few rear fog lights for dealers and noticed most veachle with a few minor damages

Kieran
16-11-2003, 12:37 AM
Hmmm.

Interesting comments... I'll say right now that reading your synopsis has put me right off the car... I too had seen it advertised - I'm not buying yet, but the car looked immaculate in the photographs... Couldn't work out why it's £9K though - it seems too pricey for me.

I'd spotted the non-standard wheels...:INSERT INTO post VALUES ( -why were they on it when they look pants?

I have to agree with Brind on testdrives - I think the car may be hiding something more sinister.

And why is it so dented - points to an uncaring owner... which is further reinforced by the worn tyres? were the shoulders almost bald?

My bottom line is that most of the Pre-facelifts I've seen for sale in the UK have all had problems, and most have had price tags near £10K - so I think I'll contact an import company - I think the extra risk is offset by savings. Even if the car needed, say the lash adjusters and the gearbox seal replacing, with the quotes I've had, I could get them done and still save a significant amount of money.

Nick VR4
16-11-2003, 12:33 PM
When you say smaller wheels what size we're they 15's
All VR4's have 16's as standard with 225/50/16
And tend too look a little small

Did it have a service record ?
As this would show when last service was done
If not I would be pretty cautious

I cant belive they wouldn't let you test drive it without putting a desposit on

Dinks and dents are easily done by a good dent / chip repairer at there cost

I can see why you are naffed off I would be to

the_boy
16-11-2003, 01:06 PM
Cheers for pointing out my mistake Brind, yer cheeky get :clap: :D

Also forgot to say that it didn't have leather seats either.

I understand what you're saying about taking a deposit to deter tyrekickers etc but the fact I was on their books for a call back and had been across a couple of times in my eyes suggests I am really interested. He also said "you can have you're deposit back but we're confident once you've drive it you'll be impressed etc" which made me think if I didn't want to follow through I'd have problems getting my money back.

The wheels were 15s I think, I'm assuming they stayed on cos they were BBS and are deemed quite expensive. Probably more than the standard Mitsubishi ones. I could tell they were smaller as it was parked next to the other Legnum which did have the correct ones on it. The tyres weren't exactly bald but I'd say they only had bout 1500 miles left on them.

One of the dents was more like a wedge, about an inch long and a couple of milllimeteres wide, difficult I would say to suck out. Even with preperation I can't see the boywork being sorted out completely.

You're right with what you say Kieran, it seems that the car has not been looked after by it's previous owner so god knows what else may be wrong

I still feel aggrevied, can you tell?
:uhoh:

Kieran
16-11-2003, 06:13 PM
It's frustrating, isn't it? It's almost too tempting to say sod it and buy the first one you see within your budget...
But to be landed with a dog and consequently loose faith in the car would be terrible. On that basis alone I'd leave this one to someone else with deeper pockets - the fact that you're asking questions speaks volumes. Don't do it!!

I'm sure come new year, there will be some better ones on sale....

:soapbox:
PLEASE GOD, LET THERE BE SOME DECENT ONES OUT THERE SOOON!!!!ARRRGH!!!:bang::bawling::bang::Cry1:

I feel better now:D

zedy1
16-11-2003, 06:54 PM
dont think the 15in alloys fit vr4s

the_boy
16-11-2003, 06:56 PM
You know it...........

Cheers Kieran :thumb1:

Darren
17-11-2003, 08:24 AM
If it helps, I bought mine from the same place and understand quite a bit of the process and how they work, so here it is.

The car is bought for cheap, at auction and shipped to this country. It goes immediately for an SVA test and have the conversion done. Then it's up to Cramlington for a quick sand down and fixup. Only then does it go onto the forecourt. I had my GLS smartened up there in order to get a good trade in. Can't complain about the bodywork company they use.
I had looked t the Legnum a few times before it became available. The same on one you looked at, and could see that some areas of the car had had some attention payed to it. There were a few cosmetic things and the car wasn't perfect, but, when I said I was interested and would like to put down a deposit, I got my, albeit, very short test drive.
When you sell Evo's and WRX, GTO's then you can imagine the amount of people who want to testdrive the cars. They are not the most competant dealers around, nor are they the cheapest. But they get the most VR-4s on their pitch in the north and do respect the car. They sell it high because the owner had one and knows what it is, what it can do, therefore he knows what it's worth and brings them into the country because of it.

I'm sure we can arrange for you to come for a spin in my car, I can't let you drive because my insurance forbids any other driver. But we can go for a spin and you can see what you think.
A thought just popped into my head, I've never once found a dealer which wasn't a bag of ****e. The salesmen give you the royal treatment but behind the scenes there is no regard for the customer. At least these salesmen treat you as they mean to go on.
:p :p

KiwiTT
17-11-2003, 08:06 PM
Our Dealers must be different here. When I got my first Test Drive in a VR4, I left my car at the dealer and had it overnight for driving around. No deposit, nothing. Lucky me.

Boy was that an experience. It sold me on the car INSERT INTO post VALUES (i.e. a VR4). A short test drive is insufficient. I thrashed it around the industrial estates, where there is no traffic and you can plant the foot and see how she goes.

Incidently, I didn't buy from that dealer, and ending up buying my current car 3 months later at $10,000 less.

Brind
17-11-2003, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by the_boy
Cheers for pointing out my mistake Brind, yer cheeky get :clap: :D
:uhoh:

LOL!! sorry, I was trying to be subtle.. ;) :D

Unfortunately looks can be deceiving, Many months ago I went to see a black saloon VR-4 they had in Magnum Motors, I couldn't believe how prestine it was and pretty much every other car they had for sale was too, I don't just mean main dealer cleaned, it was exceptional!!!
Our unfortunate friend Pickgar bought a silver saloon VR-4 from Magnum Motors, and again judging by the cleanliness of their cars it was surprising to find out what a shed he had unfortunately bought, judging by looks I can see why he bought it but there is still no way of knowing if the car was built on a Friday.

Not in the same league but I have a 2.0i Sierra I only use for work INSERT INTO post VALUES (I'm an Electrician) I bought it for about £600 and the engine was noisy, had it rebuilt but surprisingly it sounds the same, in fact it is kinda cool as no other car sounds like it, anyone, even someone who knows these cars would believe that under my bonnet there is a V8! just a shame it hasn't got the power of one.
Anyway, it looks ****e, sounds kinda rough, 'could do with a clean' is an understatement but has it ever broken down? NOPE, barely turn the key and she's off!! I've done thousands of miles in it and it is yet to skip a beat.
I learnt to drive in a Sierra estate and even passed my test in it, was only a 1.6 but that was the same but better, again start the engine and it was off.

So the moral of my story is... buy a Sierra! no wait.. erm.. ?? yeah... no.. LOOKS can be deceiving.
But as others have said, check over the major details and follow your instincts, if you buy it and your burnt... I never wrote this reply!!!!! :D

vrfour
18-11-2003, 12:29 PM
Two things - those wheels are 16s. They are the factory wheels for that car INSERT INTO post VALUES (I have a set sitting in my garage...)

Secondly, are you guys able to import your own cars direct from Japan? If so it may interest you to know I lived there and worked the auctions, buying cars for various countries INSERT INTO post VALUES (mostly Aussies).

Free plug - if you want to import your own, I know an excellent buyer who mainly deals with the UK market, working in Japan. His name is Vincent, and his mobile number is +8190 4644 1922 or email vincent@onshu.com

I regularly buy cars through him - he's very easy to deal with. I used to work with him while I was over there. Might be better than trying to find one locally? I don't know what it's like for you guys over there.

Let him know Kristian sent you.

Kieran
18-11-2003, 03:40 PM
Excellent - cheers for that:D:thumb1: