PDA

View Full Version : steering tie rod

dixon8
17-11-2006, 05:22 AM
hi, just failed my WOF with a "common fault in Galants" :sad3:

garage said there was excess movement in the rod in the rack.

anyone done a repair job lately?/help

any tips for a easy fix?

Subaru ETA
17-11-2006, 05:27 AM
is it the tie rod or just the tie rod end?

Gly
17-11-2006, 05:29 AM
im doing the tie rod ends in my legnum this weekend,
easy enough job to do.

not sure bout the rack end...

you may need to remove the tie rod completly and replace it with a new one

Subaru ETA
17-11-2006, 05:44 AM
reason i ask is coz rack ends are the more common problem. they ar a piece of piss. to do the whole tie rod it make life a whole lot easier if you have the correct tools. it would pay to have somekinda knowledge about what you are doing if you are going to do the whole tie rod

Munta
17-11-2006, 08:46 AM
i had to do mine to pass a wof as well, but i got it done at garage at the same time as i got my clutch replaced

d i c k i e s
20-11-2006, 02:59 AM
let me guess, you went to VTNZ? :thinking:

dixon8
24-11-2006, 04:22 AM
it make life a whole lot easier if you have the correct tools. it would pay to have somekinda knowledge about what you are doing if you are going to do the whole tie rod

thanks for everyones input.

i've got the part now and going to attempt the repairs tomorrow.
it's the rhs rack end.

what are the correct tools necessary?

hopefully everything will go smoothly then i'll get another wheel alignment done next week.

Gly
24-11-2006, 06:05 AM
rack end is easy...

spanners, sockets, and needle nose pliers, hammer & a grease gun.

jaimz
13-03-2007, 12:28 AM
Hey dudes,
I gotta replace mine too to get a warrant. I did them on my last car, so shouldn't be all that much of a job (...I hope)

Is there anything I should look out for in terms of quality of a replacement set of tie rod ends..? Supercheap have 'Camelot' branded ones for $18 each.

Seems pretty cheap, but are they 'cheap' cheap (i.e. will my steering stop working in a month or two...!?)

Gly
13-03-2007, 05:38 AM
ive used the supercheap ones,
only **** job was trying to get the grease gun off the nipple once it was filled,
but i had the same prob with the ripco ones.

if there not much more expensive i would get a gen mitsi one which should be pre grease packed?