PDA

View Full Version : Replace clutch without flywheel - is this OK?

gdelargy
17-11-2006, 01:38 PM
I'm planning on going to Stoke next weekend to have WRD replace my slipping clutch, and was going to buy the appropriate kit from Camskill (oem item for Evo 1-3, a very reasonable £180 + delivery). However, their website said they wouldn't warranty a clutch unless a new flywheel was also fitted. When I enquired about this, they replied:

"Shouldn't be a problem on yours.
If it looks worn then get it refaced.

The reason it states it against the EVOs is they eat clutches and
EVO owners do not like fitting flywheels if they can get away with it."

I do like the odd traffic light launch when some smartass thinks he can jump ahead of the gigantic Japanese barge at the front of the queue, but mostly I think I treat my clutch with care. The car itself has 72,000km on the odometer, which looks/feels reasonably accurate, so it's OK to follow his advice and just change the clutch while leaving the flywheel alone, or am I taking a big gamble?

G
(gearbox newbie)

Axeboy
17-11-2006, 02:04 PM
I had mine done last week by 'The Garage' and they said my flywheel was in fine condition and didnt need replacing...

The car feels fine as well.

If I was upgrading the clutch id replace the flywheel.

zentac
18-11-2006, 04:55 PM
Ive replaced the clutch loads of times without replacing the flywheel as long as theres no damage to it. Oh and the FTO uses the same EVO 1-3 clutches. You may want to have a look at Helix clutches thats what a lot of the high power III's run and what I will be running next year.

Nutter_John
19-11-2006, 02:10 AM
I ve got a helix one and a lightened flywheel , can recommend then as they bite quite hard but you don't need muscle bound thighs

rated to 370 ft/llb of torque so quite a good choice for a mild to meduim tune , suspect Rich will be talking about the tripple puck one for his which is rated at 700+

zentac
19-11-2006, 09:07 AM
Where did you get the flywheel from? and how much?

richy rich
19-11-2006, 09:14 AM
Richard, johns fly wheel was one i got custom made for him it cost £350 and this is reusing the starting ring from johns.
i can get more made.
it is 2 kg lighter but the weight is more in the center.
rich

pitslayer
30-11-2006, 08:03 PM
i only change flywheel if its damaged, rusty, or pitted, but always take thefly wheel off and do the fly wheel oil seals everytime. mate did it before changed his clutch and felt all big about doing it himself, asked if he changed oil seals, he just laughed at me and took the piss, saying i knew nothing and they didnt need doing....week later his clutch was slipping, and oil going everywhere, only for me to say
"guess that would be another new clutch you need then, might wanna do your oil seals aswell"

so would recomend doing this, but find out all the torque settings, couldnt specify this enough, i know someones whos had a fly wheel come off, not good, admitdly itwasnt his fault, as it snapped off.