PDA

View Full Version : Hi All

TAR
17-11-2006, 11:11 PM
Hi all, Ive been watching the forums for a while now whilst trying to decide whether or not to buy a Legnum :thinking:

I've just found a cheap one - not got much spare cash at the mo - and wondered if anyone in the club would care to cast an eye over it?

The car is a 1997 VR4 estate with 100K on the clock. The current owner says he has a fist full of reciepts for servicing etc. One thing which sounded unusual was that he has had both the gearbox and the AYC pump changed at some point. I'm not sure if these are weak points on the car??

Any how, the car is in Devon nr Launceston and I'm trying to get to see it on Sunday lunchtime. I'm quite prepared to stump up lunch for any assistance offered. :2thumbsup

Cheers

Tim

Nick Mann
17-11-2006, 11:22 PM
They are two of the weak points on the VR4. My worry would be why did they break? If it is unlucky and the car has been well cared for, then don't panic. If the service history is sketchy and the tyres are well worn on the edges, then leave it alone!!

I take it you have discovered the resources tab above? There is info in there that you will enjoy......

Welcome to the club - enjoy choosing a car and I hope you enjoy your stay!

WildCards
17-11-2006, 11:46 PM
Crikey, I might be persuaded to travel for a free lunch.

Tim, as Nick has said, good luck and leave your heart at home. Do you have a link to the car at all?

TAR
18-11-2006, 12:00 AM
Umm resources...

Ive read them through sooo many times I hope I can remember it all
and yes, they are very helpful

:scholar: no tests please! :scholar:

Its in Autotrader and I hope no one gets there before me- its a 4 hour drive :bigcry:

Im not sure how to put a link in but searching for legnums will bring up one at £2495, its a purple one on an R plate.

and thanks for the welcome :happy:

Spirit
18-11-2006, 01:22 AM
Hi Tar

I know this car, will PM you

BraindG
18-11-2006, 05:11 PM
/Wyhy /Welcome

The AYC change doesnt worry me much, you see plenty ayc issues, and mitsibishi might just have gone meh, and replaced the whole pump to resolve it.

The gearbox, hmmm.. again, maybe a case of i dont know whats wrong with it, lets replace the whole thing, its not that common for a gearbox to fail.. (atleast i dont think so)

TAR
18-11-2006, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the info gents.

I'm getting cold feet about this one now!

I realise that you get what you pay for, and £2.5K is not really much for this type of car. I may be able to stretch my budget a little but I'm not sure how far my money will go?

Would anyone like to comment on the cost versus quality of a Legnum? I need to know if I'm chasing a pipe dream with the money I have. What would £3K or £4K get?

note to self: must save more money!!

I would also be interested in whether you would buy a high mileage late car or a low mileage early car? I appreciate that service history is everything, but how long does a legnum last before major parts require attention? I'm sure there are plenty of differing views out there.

I really want one and the yearning grows stronger day by day. :evilgrin:

Nick Mann
18-11-2006, 10:49 PM
It is about finding the one that has been looked after at that kind of money. Remember that even once you have bought them, they are not cheap to run! Services every 4500 miles, 18MPG, group 20 insurance etc.

From a mileage point of vew, they will go forever if properly looked after. But cheap ones are usually (but not always) the ones that have been skimped on.

Mart
22-11-2006, 09:37 AM
My advice would be to call Mo (his number is on the galant spares minisite link at the top).

He's got a nice purple one for sale in your price range, I saw it last week and its definatly worth a look. Mo's totally honest and doesn't hide anything, which is truly refreshing nowadays!

give him a ring and go for a look!

Martin

Mart
22-11-2006, 10:42 AM
In fact I think I'm right in saying it's this one here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1996-P-MITSUBISHI-GALANT-LEGNUM-VR4-MAUVE-TWIN-TURBO_W0QQitemZ280051114882QQihZ018QQcategoryZ1823 0QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Mart

Nutter_John
22-11-2006, 10:46 AM
Yep thats Mr Mo as I reocnise his ebay id

TAR
22-11-2006, 11:39 AM
:2thumbsup

Thanks guys, I will give him a call.

TAR
24-11-2006, 06:27 PM
Things are looking up. I had a good long chat with Mo and it appears he has 2 cars which may be in my price range. I hope to get along and see him sometime soon.

With a bit of good fortune I may be joining the ranks of ' great car owners' in the near future.

Here's hoping...

:party: :party:

Brunty
24-11-2006, 06:52 PM
Hi TAR,

I've had my gearbox refurbished (under warranty) and replaced the AYC pump. I don't think it's necessarily anything to worry about too much. Unless you've got to pay for it yourself! ££££££££

In my case the car has been regularily serviced although I suspect the specific service requirements for gearbox and AYC weren't properly met - both are considerably more complex than what might be considered standard car components.

However, buyer beware!!!

Good luck.