PDA

View Full Version : Is me boost guage poked? Or should I worry

Muppsy
18-11-2006, 10:55 AM
Hi all,

Bit of background first for those of you who don't know:

I had a white 97 Leggie which was ambushed by a road island a 'parked' BMW. A quick death basically.

I bought another exactly the same with a blown Tiptronic, and went about transfering all the good bits, including the manual box from the old to the new.

It's all go now, but the thing is, I have little idea of the mechanical history of this new car, and I doubt the girl I bought it off would either. After talking to her boyfriend when I picked it up, I got the feeling he was one of those "unsafe modders" who do a few little tricks here and there.

Anyway, I got my boost guage installed. This very same boost guage was serving me in the crashed vehicle, which was boosted to 14 pounds, and the guage showed this accurately.

Now, the new car, I have not boosted. The controller isn't even in it so it should be standard. However that same guage is showing boost getting up to 18 pounds.

I have to be honest, the whiplash effect was far greater in the old car, so I think the guage is telling porkies. And the pastic casing does have a crack in it but it still zeros when the car is off, and show vacume when idling. I'll be buying a new guage eventually. But I'm worried now.

Is it possible for boost guages that have taken a knock to do this? Or is there a way of testing that the past owner hasn't done something silly in that mass of hoses?

Cheers
Aaron

bradc
18-11-2006, 08:45 PM
You may as well simply go and buy another boost gauge to check, they are only $60 or so.

If this car doesn't feel as fast as the old one then maybe the boost gauge is faulty, I guess it is a bit difficult to say.