PDA

View Full Version : Double Driving Lights?

Nick Mann
16-11-2003, 12:28 AM
I can't work out how to turn on my sideways looking drivers lights? I've tried indicating with assorted different settings on the lights - putting the wheels to full lock etc. Can anyone tell me what the criteria are to make them come on?

Cheers.

Spirit
16-11-2003, 12:32 AM
Take it you have done the normal bits ?

1: Ignition on fully
2: Main lights switched on INSERT INTO post VALUES (not park)
3: Checked fuse/s
4: Checked bulbs

Don't have them mate so guessing at 1 and 2 above

Brind
16-11-2003, 12:40 AM
If you turn on your front fog lights and then indicate, the other lights in the bumper will then come on.
If you indicate left, the left light comes on and if you indicate right.. the right light comes on but again only if the fog lights are switched on.
Meant to aid visability whilst turning in foggy conditions.

If they don't work after that, then it could be any number of electrical faults eg. fuse, wiring.

Roadrunner
16-11-2003, 12:44 AM
:Ponder: Mine work without the fogs on ... :)

zedy1
16-11-2003, 12:46 AM
dont have any :Cry1:

Nick VR4
16-11-2003, 12:01 PM
Yeap as Mark had described

I had mine re-wired at the dealership I didnt realise how they worked as the manual doesnt mention this even the dealership scratched its head

So now put fogs on and all 4 stay on with the side lights on

It looks wicked IMHO :D

zedy1
16-11-2003, 07:02 PM
the other two r driving lights wouldve been better if they were on a seprate switch, then u could have them on without any fog

Nick Mann
16-11-2003, 08:23 PM
The centre pair are on a seperate switch and come on with the switch, regardless of the condition of the rest of the lights. You can have only front fogs on, without anything else! Still can't fathom the side ones though - more investigation is required.

Ta for the info!

Jamo
16-11-2003, 08:43 PM
What a coincidence! Mine come on without the fogs on...just with the headlights on. Indicate left...the outer left one comes on, indicate right, the outer right one.

I say coincidence because mine just had its 45k service and I'd never noticed this before. So I got paranoid. Were they always like this? I did feel it was quite a feature...but nothing in the manual. Perhaps I'd only noticed INSERT INTO post VALUES (as you do) because you notice these things after a service...then scratch your head as to whether they were already like that or something had got muddled at the garage. I rang the garage back INSERT INTO post VALUES (Mitsubishi main dealer) and they weren't sure but said they'd have a look and investigate when I was next passing. But maybe I'm instigating a wild goose chase here.

So, yes. Quite a feature..but then again...looks odd. Since I noticed this last week, I've been looking to see if other cars do it. I've not seen one yet. But then again...I don't et out much! Does anyone know if other cars share this feature?

Anyone know 100% if they're only supposed to come on when fogs are on? I guess mine's working like H.7's right now.

....Jamo

Nick Mann
16-11-2003, 08:45 PM
But I can't get mine on at all! :bawling:

zedy1
16-11-2003, 08:49 PM
check the bulbs

Spirit
16-11-2003, 10:38 PM
My Honda Prelude had the same feature and they worked with just the headlights on :D

Spirit
16-11-2003, 10:42 PM
Check this:

In my manual it says that fuse number 12 INSERT INTO post VALUES (10amp) in the engine bay fuse box is for the "Cornering Lamps"

Has it blown or been taken out ?

****It also says that they should work with just the headlamps on - fogs not required - so yours are wired up wrong too Mark****

Hope this helps

Nick Mann
16-11-2003, 10:53 PM
Great info. I'll be checking that tomorrow.

:clap:

Roadrunner
17-11-2003, 09:18 AM
Jamo,

The Subaru Legacy RS-B I had previously had this feature too - cornering lamps, designed to come on with the indicators, to illuminate the kerb as you turn at night. They came on with just the headlamps too. Quite good for joining dual-carriageways from the sliproad at night too ;)

Brian

ReggieK
17-11-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by H.7
Jamo,

The Subaru Legacy RS-B I had previously had this feature too - cornering lamps, designed to come on with the indicators, to illuminate the kerb as you turn at night. They came on with just the headlamps too. Quite good for joining dual-carriageways from the sliproad at night too ;)

Brian

Just checked mine. Both lights come on when the front fog light switch is activated. No different when indicating or anything else. The only weird thing is that they will come on whether or not my lights INSERT INTO post VALUES (side or main) are on to begin with?

Nick Mann
17-11-2003, 10:49 PM
Right - update.

Neither light was working, so I decided that the fuse or me not doing the right thing with the controls was the most likely thing. After endleass fiddling this evening I have finally worked a couple of things out:

When I switch my front fogs on, they come on, regardless of the position of the main light switch on the stalk. After getting out of the car to look, I have discovered that if I turn the front fogs on without main lights, it automatically turns side lights on.

I know have a much better understanding of the fuses and their locations. INSERT INTO post VALUES (Fuse no. 12 was okay, cheers Pete.)

I finally decided that I had to check the bulbs, to discover that some bu@@er had removed both of them! No wonder they didn't work! Maybe the poor sod who owned the car for 26 months and lost £18k from new couldn't afford bulbs for his next car!

Anyway, thanks for all your info and sorry for wasting so much time, but it is all now sorted.

:hurrah:

zedy1
17-11-2003, 11:01 PM
what a cool tip i gave :D

Nick Mann
17-11-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by zedy1
what a cool tip i gave :D

Yep! Just me figuring that one of them at least would still be working.

I've always been a bit slow!

Brind
17-11-2003, 11:59 PM
Could be shot in the dark, but Nick VR-4 and myself own Ralliart spec cars, the rear fog has been recessed properly etc.
I'll have to double check if the lights only come on with fogs.
Simon would be a good person to ask too as he has virtually the same car as me.

I also asked about this before on here and I'm still trying to set aside time to seperate the lights and switch them seperately.
Perhaps they were changed for legal reasons? no other lights should be lit apart from your normal headlights and signals.
According to the law there is no such thing as driving lights and they are classed as fogs too so you will get pulled over with the driving lights on as you would with fogs, so assuming this is the case, they wired the driving lights in with the fogs. :Ponder:

Nick Mann
18-11-2003, 02:46 PM
Mine is a 2001 Ralliart.

The front fogs turn the sidelights on if you try to use them without sidelights or dipped beam already on.

Don't know about the rear fog, haven't experimented with that yet!

On my V6-24 I had two buttons for the front/rear fogs where I now have only one button for the front fogs. They worked the same as any other car I have driven, i.e. the lights need to be on before the fogs will work. This car is the first I have had where you can turn the lights on by putting the front fogs on!

Is there anyone with a fully mirrored garage for light experimentation purposes? ;)

Nick VR4
18-11-2003, 02:56 PM
Nick

My rear fog light switch is below the front fog switch and to the right
Has a small light next to it to say is on

ReggieK
18-11-2003, 04:58 PM
Mine is same as Nick VR4's - Ralliart supplied car too.

Nick Mann
18-11-2003, 08:09 PM
I can now confirm that the rear fog does exactly what it is supposed to. Doesn't work with the lights off, does work with the lights on!

It's amazing how confused I can get over too many lights in the bumpers! :D