PDA

View Full Version : Replacement BOV results in oil discovery.....

Si.
19-11-2006, 11:43 AM
Ok so once again, my Turbo Noob-ness is showing. So this maybe a fruitless excersise and I may end up looking completely stupid, so bare with me.

Got me a HkS SSQV (yes i know all the issues, but could resist the boy-ish noise. :evilgrin: ) Fitted it last night, everything went swiningly in that department.

Thins was, when we were taking the stock unit off, could help but notice the inside being some what oily. On closer inspection the pipe coming off the turbo seemed to have a nice film of oil on the inside.

I'm assuming this is not supposed to happen, would i be right? /help

Nick Mann
19-11-2006, 11:45 AM
There will always be a bit of oil in there. If your car is not smoking, and not losing a lot of oil, then don't worry about it. I think there are at least two ways for oil to get there - past the seal in the turbo or through the breather pipes from the heads. If the inside of your pipework has enough so you can pour it out, then start worrying!

Kieran
19-11-2006, 11:53 AM
Yeah, you always will get a film of oil in there - the turbos do let some by, as does the breather system as Nick says - unless you're chucking out loads of oily, horrible smoke or your car starts drinking oil, it's normal.

Rosco_NZ
19-11-2006, 12:18 PM
Yeah i found the exact same thing si, so dont stress too much.

gives a yell if ya run into idle issues tho, my legster has recently gotten some idle issues, appears to be a vaccuum leak somewhere (poor idle + boost gauge reading suggest this over other poor idle causing problems such as stepper motor, TPS), she doing minimal driving at moment until i got the coin to get someone to check it out. with xmas coming and holidays to pay for it might be a little while sadly :-(

anyway dont stress too much, like the guys say unless its enough to poor out dont worry.

Si.
19-11-2006, 12:55 PM
PPPPPpppppppppphhhheeeeeeewwwwwwwww!

*Wipes sweat from forehead*

Definitely not smoking, definitely not loads, but enough of a film then when the pipe is placed end up on the floor a ring of oil is produced. All sounds like that normal to me which is good news!

Now to just enjoy the childishly loud noise :laugh:

richy rich
19-11-2006, 02:35 PM
yes that is normal no need for /help

BraindG
20-11-2006, 11:55 AM
think youve gathered its quite normal!..

just want to add...

when we were at silverstone last year, i was pushing quite hard, and the car overheated.. gave up on session 2 ( i htink, well whatever session) and headed back for CVR4HQ... lifted bonneto find oil everywhere!.. it ever squirted out of the mushroom filter! :inquisiti

anyhoo, suffice tosay, nothing came of it, and ive had no further problems since that day.

:2thumbsup

d i c k i e s
23-11-2006, 04:36 AM
you got a pic Si of what the BOV looks like on you car? i may also get one pretty soon. but im tossing and turning about the hks ssqv bov or the gfb bov (bovus maximus)

Si.
23-11-2006, 08:26 AM
I do, but it's on my phone and i'm having a small amount of trouble getting them off at the moment! /Grrr

Bare with me, I'll try again later on today! :2thumbsup

d i c k i e s
24-11-2006, 01:05 PM
I do, but it's on my phone and i'm having a small amount of trouble getting them off at the moment! /Grrr

Bare with me, I'll try again later on today! :2thumbsup

maybe 2 days?

Si.
24-11-2006, 03:25 PM
damn it i forgot to bring my software to work with me /Grrr

colVR4
25-11-2006, 12:04 PM
How much oil is normal? I have heard that a few members have put oil catch cans in their systems, what is the benfit of doing this?

Axeboy
25-11-2006, 06:58 PM
"An Oil catch tank is a must have for turbo applications. Normally the engine recirculates the hot oily vapour back in the inlet, coating the pipework and causing the intercooler to loose efficiency. The oil catch tank does exactly what it says it does, it still allows the engine to vent the hot oily vapour, but it catches it inside the tank, and then vents the clean air to the atmosphere."

From Driftworks.

I might get one too, but i dont think I have an oil problem of any kind, no size on any of the hoses.

You can get a Greddy/Cusco can for about £60 though.

colVR4
25-11-2006, 07:47 PM
Thanks

Si.
25-11-2006, 08:12 PM
got an oil catch myself actually. Came with the car when i imported it, along with a few other bits and pieces that i've found like a really good earthing kit.

Catch can looks like a proper DIY job too, so I'm quite pleased the chap that owned it before me seemed to know what he was doing and looked after it. :pimp2:

d i c k i e s
26-11-2006, 08:43 AM
still got that pic Si?

Si.
30-11-2006, 12:41 PM
Before

Si.
30-11-2006, 12:42 PM
After...

BraindG
01-12-2006, 01:50 PM
Catch can looks like a proper DIY job too, so I'm quite pleased the chap that owned it before me seemed to know what he was doing and looked after it. :pimp2:

Like this (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13805&highlight=catch) DIY Job? =D (members article on how to make a catch can)

d i c k i e s
04-12-2006, 12:45 AM
thanks for your prompt reply Si. :happy:

Si.
04-12-2006, 08:37 AM
Finally managed to get the photos off my phone, bloody thing /Grrr

d i c k i e s
04-12-2006, 11:40 PM
i bet it did! hehehe... all good now bro.