PDA

View Full Version : Leak, What leak.

StunEm
20-11-2006, 07:21 AM
I went for a trip to Christchurch on the weekend from Dunedin.
My legnum sits very low to the ground and i heard it touch the road once when i hit a big pothole while i was following another vehicle.
Today at work some other guys from work walked passed my car and told me there was oil under it, Thinking it was just a joke, I ignored them until afternoon smoko and i could see the oil dripping off my sump.
Oh S**t. /Grrr /Grrr /Grrr
I finished work early, Hoisted up the car and removed the sump, welded closed the crack and refitted back to the car.
Filled with new oil and filter while I was there.
The joys of working as a mechanic in a garage.

Plans for next week
- Lift car up slightly (adjustable suspension) about 10 mm should do.:happy:
- Make up a Gravel tray (under engine guard to be fitted).:2thumbsup
- Dont follow to close behind other cars./pan

bradc
20-11-2006, 07:31 AM
If you make up a tray to go underneath the car that goes the whole way from the front bumper to the firewall and guards against that sort of thing, I *know* you will be able to sell lots of them. You're a bit too far away for me to buy one and I would hate to guess the freight cost for such a big piece of metal, but they would be a very popular item.

StunEm
20-11-2006, 08:03 AM
I know. I use to own a Mazda Familia GTR (Rally Edition) and it had a gravel tray. Best thing ever.:2thumbsup
Stopped all those big rocks flying into the engine when going sideways upwards of 100kph.

Made a mockup today out of cardboard and have two mates looking into it to make up trays. Both work with sheet metal and similar stuff, Aluminum and stainless steel. Plasma cutters, CAD software cutting machines and other wonderful S**t.

Will probably take a few attempts to get right but will post pics when i get the ball rolling.
Just a matter of deciding on a thickness for the metal (about 1.5 to 2.5 mm) sounds good.

bradc
20-11-2006, 08:55 AM
I would imagine 1.5mm would be fine, Legnums aren't rally cars and 1.5mm steel should stop any normal rocks, or bottoming out at high speeds.

Rosco_NZ
21-11-2006, 02:46 AM
Bradc's right, im sure there would be lots of interest, i know if the price was right i would want one.

Kenneth
21-11-2006, 03:18 AM
me three :)

maori_by_nature
21-11-2006, 05:44 AM
- Make up a Gravel tray (under engine guard to be fitted).:2thumbsup

can uou make me 1... i have a problem with throwing belts i think it might help...

maori_by_nature
21-11-2006, 05:46 AM
You're a bit too far away for me to buy one and I would hate to guess the freight cost for such a big piece of metal

i have parents in high places of freight companys that may be able to help out with such a problem...

StunEm
21-11-2006, 06:16 AM
I will see what i can do.
This weekend i should be able to get one made up and trial fit it to my legnum. Will take pics of process.

If all is good and works out i may be able to get quite a few made and send them up on a pallet to somewhere in Auckland. So then they could be picked up from there.

Has the face lift version got a different bumper lower lip as this is the main front mounting position ? :speechles

The tray i make is not going to have any removable panels for oil filter, sump plug etc, so tray would have to be removed to access these.

Munta
21-11-2006, 06:16 AM
im REAL keen on 1 to as i also travel rather close to the ground.

You See
21-11-2006, 10:55 AM
hmmm.....why not?!....Count me in for one pleeeease!!!! :D

Gly
22-11-2006, 09:38 AM
yep, i could be keen...
but not having the stock kit on it might not be such a good fit?

Xeroid
22-11-2006, 09:39 AM
can uou make me 1... i have a problem with throwing belts i think it might help...

What's it gonna do mbn, stop you having to run back up the road to find the belt ? ...:evilgrin:

MunkyWrench
26-11-2006, 07:52 AM
What's it gonna do mbn, stop you having to run back up the road to find the belt ? ...:evilgrin:

yeh i dont think this is gonna help you.

try getting a second opinion on your belt tensions.
probably as simple as you or whoever is fitting the belts is putting them on too loose.