PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change by Mit Dealer

malcolmord123
20-11-2006, 03:24 PM
Hi All

Just got quoted £70 + VAT for a auto transmission oil change on my VR4.

Is that about right?

Cheers

Mally

White Lightning
20-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Sounds alright to me ... I paid more than that just to buy the oil and do it myself :speechles

richy rich
20-11-2006, 04:28 PM
Hi All

Is that about right?

Cheers

Mally
that sounds like they are quoting you for dropping the oil and refill.

no flush

Kieran
20-11-2006, 05:01 PM
Hi All

Is that about right?

Cheers

Mally

As richy says - sounds like a sump change - but that's no good really.

Have a read of this thread: Post 17 onwards describes why no flush is bad!! /yes

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10475

I-S
20-11-2006, 05:18 PM
It cost me about that just for the fluid when they ****ed mine up. The filter was another £20. As I understand, VR4 boxes don't have replaceable filters, so it's about right for a sump-only change.

Don't do it.

Kieran
20-11-2006, 06:16 PM
It cost me about that just for the fluid when they ****ed mine up. The filter was another £20. As I understand, VR4 boxes don't have replaceable filters, so it's about right for a sump-only change.

Don't do it.

Some VR-4 'Boxes have filters, others don't - no apparent pattern either... Doesn't seem to be a post/pre facelift difference....:inquisiti

Nick Mann
20-11-2006, 08:06 PM
The external VR4 gearbox filter was dropped late 1999. I have seen an update in a pdf file somewhere. I can't remember the exact date, though.

malcolmord123
20-11-2006, 10:53 PM
Cheers Guys

I suppose a oil sump change is better than nothing at all, I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to doing stuff like this too

mally

ritch_w
21-11-2006, 09:07 AM
I suppose a oil sump change is better than nothing at all

not really... it removes half your knackered gearbox oil and puts in 4L of fresh stuff.
Withing 1 mile of driving away from the $tealer, your fresh 4L will now be contaminated with the other 4L of knackered oil, so you still have 8L+ of knackered oil in your box, albeit slightly less knackered.

Also as you have mentioned in another thread, you are having issues with the gear changes - half a job aint gonna fix it - sorry!!! just being truthful, ask them to do it properly and get the job done right might cost more but it should be done corectly before you end up looking at a gearbox rebuild...

bradc
21-11-2006, 09:21 AM
Print Kieran's guide off, staple it all over your engine bay and over their workbench, and tell them to do the job properly!

Ritch is dead right, you're already having gearbox problems, so it is important to do it 100% right. You do not want to rebuild your gearbox.

richy rich
21-11-2006, 09:46 AM
or you could bring it to wrd and we will do it right.

I-S
21-11-2006, 10:07 AM
I suppose a oil sump change is better than nothing at all, I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to doing stuff like this too

It's not really any better, and certainly not for that money. That will buy you 10l of proper fluid, and there are people here who can help you with doing the change properly.

I-S
21-11-2006, 02:08 PM
Thinking about this, I'm going to suggest to apply the principle that I do all of my (electronic engineering) design work by:

If you haven't got time to do it properly, have you got time to do it again?

It applies to money as to time.

In this case, you'd be throwing away your money because you'll still have an autobox full of fluid that needs replacing. ATF breaks down exponentially, so once it starts going bad, it will go bad quicker and quicker... Replacing half of it keeps you in the steep part of the curve, so within a couple of thousand miles you're back where you started.

amsoil
21-11-2006, 03:01 PM
Agree with everything above. Do Not Do It.
If the box is working fine then Mitsi's Diamond SPII/III will do the job if you can get them to not only drain the sump but also pump out all the old fluid and also replace this. (Do check what fluid they are using and don't believe that because they are dealers what they put in will be correct, check 1st not after as Dextron 3 is cheap and wrong for the box).
If you are having 'issues' then you had better speak to those nice people at WRD. They are still silly cheap for what they do. They will also do the job correctly and use Amsoil ATF which being a synthetic (and the only one for the Mitsi in the UK) will errode the crap that has formed in the box over time. It will give the box a new lease of life and make it so smooth you wouldn't recognise it; infact nor will the Trips ECU so it will need to be reset. But don't believe me I sell it; just search on Amsoil or ATF. No complaints and lots of thanks. Not cheap but you will feeel the difference.
:2thumbsup

malcolmord123
27-11-2006, 12:18 AM
I would love to let WRD do the job but I'm in newcastle and they are so so far away!!

Gly
27-11-2006, 05:34 AM
im gonna say...

do the half flush!

BUT!... dont come back here asking...

why did my trans blow up?
why have i lost drive?
my trans was just flushed but its still not right?

or come back here moaning about who ever did you trans musta broke it!

you have been warned! :D

seriously...
do the job once and do it right...

if the money is the issue.. do it yourself...
the mitsi diamond queen atf only costs $110nz dollars here. (for 10 liters)
its not hard. the guide is very good

and from what ive read on here...
the trip to get WRD to do it is well worth it,

gives you the chance to watch and learn for the next time it needs doing.
nice guys too. :)

ritch_w
27-11-2006, 09:20 AM
I would love to let WRD do the job but I'm in newcastle and they are so so far away!!

buy 12L of amsoil ATF from Don
Print out Kierans "How to" for the ATF change & flush
Give these to and pay a local mechanic to do it right

amsoil
27-11-2006, 01:30 PM
Its unusual anywhere , never mind club forums, to get everyone singing the same song. Just got to be telling you something; like the best and cheapest way is to learn from the mistakes and experiences of others. Just wish I had done that sometimes in the past.
:2thumbsup