PDA

View Full Version : Alternator problems in NZ

OSiRiS
21-11-2006, 09:16 PM
Alternator intermittently charges. Battery light comes on on the dash.

With the APEXi RSM I read 13.7 volt constant if it does charge. If it doesn't charge it floats around 12v slowly dropping down to 11v -assuming the car is purely running on battery voltage.

Definately alternator? Anyone else had this problem?

Gly
22-11-2006, 09:35 AM
i do /did have this (volt gauge not installed atm)

think it a paritially cuased by a loose belt, or loose/poor alt to battery connection

i also just assumed it was because of having all the accessoies turned on
(lights/spots, heater, rear window demister, stereo)

as this was the only time it really happened

i havent had the guage in since having put in the excide orbital.
so havent noticed.

Pete M
23-11-2006, 01:29 AM
Worn alternator brushes are another cause of this problem. Usually fairly easy to change brushes, especially if alternator removed from car.

MunkyWrench
24-11-2006, 03:12 PM
i have a spare alternator around, from when mine went.

I believe it has a shorted a diode in the rectifier. Could be fixed, if anyones interested.

garage gave me incorrect HT leads(6 for magna 3.0 v6), where can i get good ones for VR4 in NZ!!??

Pete M
04-12-2006, 02:51 AM
Doesn't the VR-4 have individual coils on each plug? (assumption) so there are no HT Leads as LT is converted to HT on top of each plug. (I could be dead wrong here)

Kenneth
04-12-2006, 03:07 AM
Doesn't the VR-4 have individual coils on each plug? (assumption) so there are no HT Leads as LT is converted to HT on top of each plug. (I could be dead wrong here)

VR-4s run wasted spark. So they have 3 coils and each coil has one lead that goes to another plug. Coils on front bank, leads go to rear bank.

Pete M
06-12-2006, 03:46 AM
Ah, so I was half right, thanks for the explanation.

orionn2o
06-12-2006, 01:04 PM
if its intermittant, i presume you;ve checked the earthing on the alternator and the connector is firmly seated??

Muppsy
11-12-2006, 07:35 AM
Osiris,

I have the old alternator off the old car if you want to try it and see if it's the problem without paying to get it checked.

It was fine on the car.

OSiRiS
11-12-2006, 09:25 AM
Osiris,

I have the old alternator off the old car if you want to try it and see if it's the problem without paying to get it checked.

It was fine on the car.

Got it sorted ages ago :) Thanks anyway :)