PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Problem ... 2.5L V6

enyawbrown
23-11-2006, 12:21 PM
From what the diagonistics guy told me ( I am no transmission expert), there is an internal filter inside the transmission itself..different that the outside one. Of course being on the inside of the transmission it wont/cant get changed during the regular services. So after awhile it clogs, as filters do. So some fluid transfer thing slows done and the car races a little, the ECU picks up the racing and locks the car in 3rd gear (signified by a blinking neutral light). In the 3rd gear status the car is just slower to pick up but its still drives very well and the mid to top end is very good still. If the car is turned off and on again the ecu resets and its back in normal mode until it races again and locks.
So there's no damage to transmission as far as could be seen, the transmission has apprarently never been pulled so the over the lifetime of the car the filter clogs. So to fix the problem entails dropping the transmission and replacing the filter, put it up back, bolt up and you good to go.
If anybody sees a flaw in my explanantion, please correct me.

P.S. is this filter thingy really the problem, or does it sounds like i'll have to shell out a few thousand quids for a NEW or hardly used V6 tranny /help /help . It goes thru 1st and 2nd gear nicely, then gets 'stuck' in 3rd somehow /help

richy rich
23-11-2006, 12:38 PM
before you go through the cost and hassle of the box out do a ATF flush there is a article in the member section.

basically this changes and cleans the atf back to almost new

also if you can get hold of it use amsoil do a search for amsoil and atf flush and it will enlighten you.

Nick Mann
23-11-2006, 02:10 PM
I agree with Rich. do a full atf flush, not just the sump but the oil cooler etc as well, and then check again. Use a decent oil, not just the cheapest dexron III you can get your hands on.

enyawbrown
25-11-2006, 12:08 AM
the ABS light is also on constantly and the Traction control light is also on constantly..... what do u all think /Grrr

amsoil
25-11-2006, 03:46 AM
I think you are a prome candidate for becoming a VR4 club member. The discounts you will get on the Amsoil will pay for your membership and what these guys dont know about these cars isn't worth knowing. Not trying to be funny but seen it time and time again. Better value and service can be had from WRD as they sort out the gearboxes better and cheaper than the dealers and do a full and through job of it. Woth more than a consideration and worth a long drive to get to. Good luck and make sure the ATF is mitzis own or Amsoil and not Dextron 3. :2thumbsup

bradc
25-11-2006, 06:05 AM
That might be true, but unless WRD are doing field trips to Jamaica, it might be a bit difficult :)

amsoil
25-11-2006, 06:24 AM
What can I say ...was late etc etc /pan /pan /pan /Handbag

enyawbrown
25-11-2006, 07:14 AM
lol......... oh brother /Grrr

enyawbrown
26-11-2006, 08:00 PM
anyone else knows why my ABS and traction control lights maybe constantly on/help

Kieran
26-11-2006, 08:18 PM
anyone else knows why my ABS and traction control lights maybe constantly on/help

That's normally a symptom of a broken ABS sensor, as the traction control system uses them to measure the wheel speeds (and any difference between them) too.

However, given your problems with your gearbox, I wonder if there's a fault with the speed sensor on that?

enyawbrown
27-11-2006, 11:32 AM
That's normally a symptom of a broken ABS sensor, as the traction control system uses them to measure the wheel speeds (and any difference between them) too.

However, given your problems with your gearbox, I wonder if there's a fault with the speed sensor on that?

I think u hit the nail on the head regarding the broken ABS sensor......... the person I bought it from said something abt some sensor at one of the wheels being disconnected or sum'n to that nature. It's now that I'm just remembering :2thumbsup

When I carry the car to get the tranny taken care of then I'll tell them abt ABS sensor thingy . Thanks in advance m8:evilgrin: