PDA

View Full Version : Urgent help needed!!

DRNKAZ
26-11-2006, 02:05 AM
Hi there

i was just wondering if anyone could help me with a problem im having with my 98 galant vr4

it started when i was on the motorway and suddenly started losing power. i was holding the accelerator in the same position but the revs were going up n down by itself.

when i got off the motorway and came to a stop the car just died. i jumpstarted it thinking it was just the battery. the car was able to be started up again but kept dying after a few seconds.

i checked the air flow meter and when it isn't plugged in the car runs fine but as soon as u plug it back in it dies again. i have tried a second afm but the same thing happens.

would anyone have any idea whats going on?

mpau009
26-11-2006, 02:30 AM
i checked the air flow meter and when it isn't plugged in the car runs fine but as soon as u plug it back in it dies again. i have tried a second afm but the same thing happens.

would anyone have any idea whats going on?

Does it happen all the time, or just when you come to a stop? It sounds like maybe an air measurement problem, i had a broken pipe letting in unmetered air, and it would idle fine, but once you drove it, it would stall every time you lifted off.

Either that or some sort of sensor issue, have you had a diagnostic of the fault codes yet?

I stole this pic from the members area (if thats a problem someone please let me know) theres a DIY test, where you ground the pin shown on the MUTII, and it will flash out error codes on the dash, eg 2 long 3 short = 23 etc, if you know that then someone might be able to help point you in the right direction.

My guess is something like the throttle position sensor or something might have gone wrong. (i assume the throttle cable is still right?)

Does the engine still sound good, or could it be a misfire? Kenneths car would misfire under boost, which sounded strange, ..but that didnt cause any noticable idle problems.

Otherwise all i can suggest is have a look for loose or broken hoses or pipes..

DRNKAZ
26-11-2006, 03:28 AM
when you unplug the a/f meter it idels fine just has a mis fire at about 4ooorpm upwards when you plug the meter back in it idles up and down one or twice but stalls everytime could this be the stepper motor or the tps yeah havnt got the fault codes any idea where to get them thanks for the help aye im clueless/pan where is that plug that i ground is it under or near the interior fuse box.

mpau009
26-11-2006, 05:02 AM
when you unplug the a/f meter it idels fine just has a mis fire at about 4ooorpm upwards when you plug the meter back in it idles up and down one or twice but stalls everytime could this be the stepper motor or the tps yeah havnt got the fault codes any idea where to get them thanks for the help aye im clueless/pan where is that plug that i ground is it under or near the interior fuse box.

Sounds like your on the right track, a lot of the codes are in the members area find which ones youv got, and we should be able to match them up, the MUTII port is up under the dash by your left leg, near the centre consol.

They can do a proper laptop diagnostic at a mitsi dealer cost me about $100 i think.:thinking:

Might be an idea to join up, there is some members write ups about cleaning and resetting the TPS and cleaning the stepper motor, i used them a while back, plus you get a sticker:2thumbsup

If that checks out, the next thing would be to have a look at the plugs i guess, that solved kenneths issues.

Oh yeah and /Welcome2 to CVR4 as well..

bradc
26-11-2006, 05:03 AM
If you stick your head under the steering wheel you should be able to see it, it is towards the centre console.

DRNKAZ
26-11-2006, 08:01 AM
Well heres what i have done so far changed the a/f meter and stepper motor and tried to retrive the fault codes heres what i got engine check light =12 abs light = 22,23,32 and the nuetral and ayc just blink continuously any ideas whats wrong?

mpau009
26-11-2006, 08:59 AM
Well heres what i have done so far changed the a/f meter and stepper motor and tried to retrive the fault codes heres what i got engine check light =12 abs light = 22,23,32 and the nuetral and ayc just blink continuously any ideas whats wrong?

According to other members, they are

12 Air Flow Sensor
22 Crank angle sensor
23 Camshaft position sensor
32 Vacuum sensor

Interesting that TPS didnt come up:thinking:

When i had my problems it came up with:
13: Intake air temp sensor
14 Throttle position sensor
21: Engine Coolant sensor
22: Crank angle sensor
32: Vacuum sensor

Thats was purely an air leak thing, litterally replaced the broken pipe and they all went away.

I'm not too sure how to tackle yours tho, i guess are they are all being caused by one problem?

If youv rechecked all the vacuum lines and things, take the battery off for a minute to clear the codes in the ecu, and try again, if they come back after a drive then youll need to try something else.

Hopefully some of the others can figure it out.

The Vee
26-11-2006, 01:41 PM
Before you get too deep, just check the rubber intake hoses are connected properly and not split. If the air flow meter isn't getting an air flow to measure, it will give you exactly these symptoms. Worth a check.

edit/ didn't notice, Mpau009 has said a similar thing above

Wodjno
26-11-2006, 01:54 PM
As stated in the above 2 posts. Check all the intake pipes are secure from the rear of the AFM :scholar: to the Turbo's and from the Turbo's to Throttle Body :happy:

Had you been giving it some Grunt before it happened ??

Axeboy
26-11-2006, 04:03 PM
Agree with above.

Sounds like one of the hoses has come off... happened to me a few times. Could even be the BOV pipes etc or the intake.

Paul C
26-11-2006, 07:56 PM
According to other members, they are

12 Air Flow Sensor
22 Crank angle sensor
23 Camshaft position sensor
32 Vacuum sensor

Interesting that TPS didnt come up:thinking:

When i had my problems it came up with:
13: Intake air temp sensor
14 Throttle position sensor
21: Engine Coolant sensor
22: Crank angle sensor
32: Vacuum sensor

Thats was purely an air leak thing, litterally replaced the broken pipe and they all went away.

I'm not too sure how to tackle yours tho, i guess are they are all being caused by one problem?

If youv rechecked all the vacuum lines and things, take the battery off for a minute to clear the codes in the ecu, and try again, if they come back after a drive then youll need to try something else.

Hopefully some of the others can figure it out.

which pipe was broken as i have similar fault codes

Kenneth
26-11-2006, 09:18 PM
would have to agree that air leak is the most probable

In which case the scenario would be this:

With MAF plugged in the ECU gets a reading and gives the appropriate fuel. because this is incorrect, the car stalls.

When you unplug the MAF, the car runs open loop and doesn't rely on the MAF reading, therfore your engine runs. It will most likely be dumping a lot of fuel at higher RPM though, which could explain your misfire.

as stated, check ALL of your pipes. take them out and inspect them. also the bypass and any vacuum hoses off the intake.

mpau009
26-11-2006, 10:31 PM
which pipe was broken as i have similar fault codes

Mine was the plastic piece of the BOV recirc pipe where it join back to the turbo, it looked fine, because the pipe held it roughly in place. I think it mustv got caught in some long grass. It was letting in heaps of air without the AFM, made the car completely undrivable, as soon as you pushed in the clutch the revs just fell like a stone, and then stalled. (once while doing 70k:inquisiti)

I hate to think how much crap got sucked directly into the front turbo because of it tho.. you could see the compressor wheel from the 1 inch hole/help

DRNKAZ
26-11-2006, 11:13 PM
thx 4 the help guys at least now i have some idea of whats going on. :happy: