View Full Version : WFF: Alternator

d i c k i e s
26-11-2006, 10:42 PM
Anyone got a alternator lying around for:
1993 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4?

in case your wondering what WFF is, i made it up... hahaha :2thumbsup
basically it means WANTING FOR FREE.

also a question?

i go to start up my galant, and it only makes one click? (but doesnt turnover)could it be the battery?

i thought, if it makes a click click click, when you try to start the car its the alternator.

Rosco_NZ
26-11-2006, 10:49 PM
i had a habit of letting the battery die (lights on while working etc then forgetting about them)

when its 99% flat it will go click click click

99.99% flat it will be click ....... dash lights even turn off.. clock resets..
very flat lol

took about 3 minutes with jumperleads connected to a running car to get it to just start click click clicking agian...

ok im waffling again.

but yeah i think it could be battery with just one click as well.
alternator doesn't really have much to do with starting car. its more for powering your accessories while its running. (im sure you know that)
starter motor is what could be dodgey if just one click etc.

Kenneth
26-11-2006, 10:50 PM
Anyone got a alternator lying around for:
1993 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4?

in case your wondering what WFF is, i made it up... hahaha :2thumbsup
basically it means WANTING FOR FREE.

also a question?

i go to start up my galant, and it only makes one click? (but doesnt turnover)could it be the battery?

i thought, if it makes a click click click, when you try to start the car its the alternator.

click click click normally means battery flat or buggered but not dead. ie: enough power to move solenoids but not enough to crank.

Nick VR4
26-11-2006, 10:55 PM
Deffo Battery had this today after taking Battery out and on charge for a few days

Put back in turn car over click click click got a new battery car started first time :2thumbsup

d i c k i e s
26-11-2006, 11:17 PM
could it also be the terminals on the battery? could this be it?

d i c k i e s
26-11-2006, 11:22 PM
well yeah, the lights dont come up so bright on the dashboard. but once i git it started with the jumperleads everything was back to bright again. air con working etc. before it wasnt. (this was yesterday), so from what ive read its the battery?

Rosco_NZ
26-11-2006, 11:36 PM
signs point to the battery, but i guess if the alternator is dud, its not going to charge your battery or run your accessories, so the battery is going to go flat again for no obvious reason. I guess a dud battery would do the same, not being able to hold much charge/recharge.

Gly
27-11-2006, 05:03 AM
with the car running put a volt meter across the + & - terminals
if the alt is working you should have 13 - 13.5 volts,

if its much less than this your alt is porked!

this can also cause premature death of your battery.

Gly
27-11-2006, 05:03 AM
dammit! double post?!!

d i c k i e s
27-11-2006, 06:08 AM
anyone got a spare heavy duty battery then?