PDA

View Full Version : Seen this on Autotrader

TAR
28-11-2006, 11:42 PM
Hi all, I just looked at this car.

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/cars_search.asp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=none&sort=&make=MITSUBISHI&min_pr=75&source=0&model=LEGNUM&max_pr=&agerange=&mileage=&miles=1&trim=&keywords=&postcode=so31+8ey&ukcarsearch_full.x=49&ukcarsearch_full.y=6

Its in Southampton. 99 Ralliart Legnum 127K miles history fully stamped up to 2003 by Mitsi dealers. UNFORTUNATELY, no service history for present owner who has done 20K miles in the car. He said it has been regularly serviced by his digger mechanic? /pan

I don't think he is a member on here.

The car is in generally good condition outside with minor marks on the bodywork which would probably polish out. There are some areas around the door handles where the paint is quite scratched/worn. There are no dents or rust spots. The interior is well lived in and the drivers seat is worn through on the side panel (leather interior). The carpets are OK except in the boot where it is quite stained.

The steering pump whines on full lock when stationary or turning.

The engine sounded good with absolutely no tappett noise but there was a buzzing noise when revving - it sounded almost like a thin metal plate vibrating and appeared to come from the front or belt side of the engine.

I had a drive in the car and noticed the red AYC light was on. The green AYC lights wouldn't light up when the car was cornered hard. I also noticed a mechanical buzzing noise whilst driving (possibly a duff AYC pump?). The car did seem to handle well though. He said that he had never noticed the green lighs coming on or the red warning light.

When in tiptronic mode, the gears wouldn't change up at low speed, I'm not sure if thats a problem. He said it was right and it proved to be ok changing up under acceleration. The auto change seemed OK. It beeps when you go in reverse!

The car has a cat 1 alarm fitted and an MOT to june next year.

He wants £3995 ono - what do you think? is it worth that sort of money or would a stupidly low offer be worthwhile bearing in mind the AYC warning light?

He mentioned someone from Scotland viewing it recently - was it someone from the forum?

What do you think? :thinking:

bradc
28-11-2006, 11:55 PM
not a bad price, but be wary of the ayc problem. the auto change up thing sounds fine though.

chances are you can get it fixed for a fairly cheap price by the guys at wrc. Mitsi themselves will charge a lot lot more though. I would suggest you take it to mitsi and get a quote (it will be about 2000 pounds) then use that as leverage to get it for 3000 pounds

Kieran
29-11-2006, 12:33 AM
...Its in Southampton. 99 Ralliart Legnum 127K miles history fully stamped up to 2003 by Mitsi dealers. UNFORTUNATELY, no service history for present owner who has done 20K miles in the car. He said it has been regularly serviced by his digger mechanic? /pan

What do you think? :thinking:

Sounds like you'll end up with a VR-4 like mine - Before Nick Mann bought her into the club refuge (and subsequently sold her to me), she had suffered roughly 20,000 miles of ignorant and spendthrift servicing after her arrival in the UK. The engine oil had been changed a couple of times, and the plugs and a few belts once. But that was it. AYC, gear oils and ATF and such had never been looked at and she bears the scars of that neglect in the number of new parts she now has fitted, and my wallet continues to bear the scars of several thousand pounds spent catching up on everything, though I have taken things to the extreme and a lot of worn parts have been replaced even though they still had some servicable life left in them.

Having said all that, she has been essentially reliable, with only a busted alternator, a stuck caliper and a split CV boot and track rod end blotting the copy book - hardly major issues.

History is the be all and end all of these cars, and 20,000 miles equates to 4 and a bit services... And the AYC fault could be telling that this 'Digger mechanic' should stick to diggers!/pan

I think £3995 isn't too bad, but it doesn't look like great value when you consider Brunty's fully serviced, fault free, lower mileage car of the same year. You have to remember that the red AYC light could just be a pressure switch issue - but if the fluid's never been changed, who knows what's gone wrong.... Caveat Emptor.

peter thomson
29-11-2006, 12:53 AM
Hi I looked at it before viewing and buying Kato,s legnum. The AYC was working correctly then and everthing is as you described. The exhaust though had been welded up and that may have been the noise you heard as I felt it may have still been leaking. When I looked at it the engine bay was full of leaves and the seats were pretty filthy. Underneath was very muddy and it was difficult to tell the condition due to this. I do not think when I looked at it that it had been used much in the last few months. The windscreen also had a lot of condensation on the inside as if it may have had a leak in that area? He has been advertising it for a good few weeks now and has taken the price down from £5500 originally I think. From what he told me it has not been looked after very well .There were afew bits of trim missing or broken as well . I said at the time I did not think it was worth his asking price but he did not say if he would reduce his price. I think by now he must be quite keen to sell though

The AYC light were definitly working then. He had 2 on during the test drive which he pointed out to me at the time

ritch_w
29-11-2006, 10:08 AM
faulty AYC?
gearbox issues?
needing a new exhaust?

could either be a bargain - AYC pressure switch and fluid change, AMSOIL ATF flush, S/S system = approx £600 and cheap VR4
or a nightmare - new AYC pump and service, gearbox rebuild, new exhaust = approx £1500 - £2K and then its cost you the same as a lower mileage historied VR4

know what you are doing and what its going to cost you before proceeding!

I would suggest you see whats available from club members first as you would be looking at something that is
1. known,
2. has a history,
3. unlikely to have any major defects,
4. more than likely serviced properly - if not from a dealer, from the correct and splendid "How tos" from the members section here