PDA

View Full Version : WTB: VR4 Estate

simonc
29-11-2006, 02:17 PM
Hello to all members this being my first post although I have been keeping an eye and sooking up knowledge for a while.

I am now in a position to get my first VR4 and am being overly fussy on spec for my limited budget, about 4K at the moment, hoping to rise soon.

I will be using the car for all sorts as well as a toy hence the practical things on the wish list.

It must be an estate and have roof bars, would prefer a dark colour, black (rare) or purple, tiptronc box and would like cruise control, sunroof and CD.

Have been to see the one on autotrader near glasgow, 65K miles and £3295. To me this apeared a good car although there was a noise from the rear like a worn wheel bearing but a little smoother, could this be the AYC limited-slip dif?

The main thing which puts me off is a complete lacked of any service history. The car was bought by the current owner this year at the Liverpool Dock auction and has export and UK paperwork saying the car has done 1000km since leaving Japan.

The interior and underbody (no underseal or waxing) were in very good condition, the bodywork had a small ding in the rear bumper. The engine bay was very clean but didn't look just polished, oil was clean but possibly suspitiously so.

Driving, it was solid, gearbox was smooth engine quiet and all the electronics worked, owner was happy for me to boot it as hard as I dared round roundabouts etc.

From reading the site I suspect I will be advised to look for something with history but coments are welcomed and of course if you want to sell a better car to me I have cash waiting.

Look forward to you mass guidance on my purchase.

Simon.

WildCards
29-11-2006, 02:31 PM
Very few cars come from Japan with any service history unfortunately. Black is a very rare colour, although you should have an easier time finding a Trigger Mauve example. Almost all cars come with a CD player, moonroofs are sought after but not like rocking horse droppings, wait long enough and one will turn up, but you'll be waiting a long time for a car with cruise control. They simply didn't have it.

£4k is towards the lower end of the market for a Legnum, although for a little extra, say £5k and you should be in a much better position to buy a nice, well cared for car. Although it'll still be a pre facelift.

Have a look at the buyers giude if you haven't already (under the resources tab) for more info, and welcome to the club.

Nick Mann
29-11-2006, 02:35 PM
The AYC does make a noise - there is a hydraulically operated clutch system as well as the gears back there. If the lights were doing what they should be then the system is working properly at the moment.

At the £4k end of the market you will have to look closely and buy wisely to get a good example.

There are often club members who will go and kick a tyre with you if you want a second opinion!

ritch_w
29-11-2006, 02:42 PM
are you in scotland simon near glasgow? there are a few of us in the area if you need a hand looking at VR4s. I dont have one at the moment, but have had 5 galants - 2 of which were VR4s so know enough about them to kick a tyre and spot a minger

simonc
29-11-2006, 03:11 PM
Thanks so far. From what you say this vehicle I looked at may be close to my best option at the moment and possibly worth a second look expecialy if ritch would be willing to accompany, sounds like you probably have knowledge of the points to examin more closely.

It has the moon roof, bars, colour etc. and I may be able to haggle down a bit and then get a good service done, underseal and spruice up the bodywork.

The owner works at the fruit market in glasgow (sales and marketing not packing buckets) his family have a business there with a ramp which they use for maintaining their vans and is willing to stick the car up for a look.

How do you feel about this ritch, pint? 2? 5?

Simon.

ritch_w
29-11-2006, 03:47 PM
dont mind looking at it for you if i can find the time.

1st things though - underseal - you must get this done if you expect it to live to 2007 with all the salt and sh1te they stick on the roads up here.
I'd reckon you'd be looking at paying someone £200 for that.

no jap history / car done 1000klms in the UK - any evidence of UK servicing? no? well then assume it needs everything done - cambelts, AYC, gearbox etc etc. again paying someone to do this, your looking at £500min and more like £1000

Rear wheel bearing - could be another £100+ there, dunno about the rears, but with the fronts you cant just buy a replacement bearing easily - its the whole hub, so not cheap.

Axeboy (Scott) has used the The Garage in Wishaw for lots of work and rates them highly - they will be cheaper than Mitsi, but not bargain bucket cheap.

you can use these points to haggle down a bit but make sure you have the funds to get the above done - especially the cambelts, as you will be playing russian roulette with the engine if you dont.

thecustomer
29-11-2006, 04:04 PM
If you've got the car's chassis number, then you can check its recall status (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=43129#post43129)

There's been (IIRC) 4 recalls on a '96 vr4 - how many round stickers were there in the rear window?
3 or 4 & it's been cared for. Less, and ... maybe not.

It's not history - but you'd expect a well cared for fresh import to have had more done than not.

... and don't forget that brake fluid should be replaced every 24 months - around now on a late '96 car

hth

Will

simonc
29-11-2006, 07:15 PM
I should hopefully have the info tomorrow, nether my mate or myself can remember the stickers although there could have been something there.

The recall site is under maintenance at the moment and this is the Bablefish translation of the message:

"Recall improvement measure service campaign search

At present it is in system maintenance.
We applying annoyance, there is no excuse.
Now please wait for a while."

These Jap Mitzy people are very honest.

Simon

Axeboy
29-11-2006, 07:46 PM
I can help if required as well.

15mins from Glasgow.

simonc
30-11-2006, 12:46 PM
The car has come up with a clean bill on the normal vehicle check and has had some recalls completed but I can only get the japanees vertion of the site to work and my CD drive is broken to can't install jap characters to translate, it comes up with three things in the table but will have to wait until this afternoon to see what they are.

The car was registered in the UK on the 1-11-06 so 1000km is reasonable to get from Liverpool to Glasgow.

Axeboy, thanks for the offer are you near wishaw as you use The Garage? The car is in Bothwell, we could see it here or in Glasgow.

simonc
30-11-2006, 01:33 PM
There are three recalls listed for the car, Front suspension, ASC (?) and Fuel Tank and all are labled as Work performance end and dated which I believe means they have been done and I have a text from the owner to say there is a round sticker on the back windscreen although I haven't seen it myself. He told me he had a low offer which he didn't want to accept but would decide on Friday.

I am thinking an offer somewhere between 2,500 and 3,000 would be acceptable and leave me enough for the essential work to be done.

John
01-12-2006, 11:35 AM
Rear wheel bearing - could be another £100+ there, dunno about the rears, but with the fronts you cant just buy a replacement bearing easily - its the whole hub, so not cheap.

Confirm that. Rears at like the front: whole hub to buy. My V6 was about £170 I think.

simonc
01-12-2006, 01:24 PM
Thanks for that, I think I understand that I have to allow a wadd of cash for some repairs if I am going for an unknown car.

Going to see this one again on Sunday hopefully, anybody want to come and cast a knowledgable eye?

Axeboy
01-12-2006, 02:14 PM
I can come along if you like...

PM me some details when you get them...

TAR
01-12-2006, 05:02 PM
This car has been relisted in Autotrader at £2950 ono.

Should make your offer look more attractive..:2thumbsup

simonc
04-12-2006, 02:45 PM
Big public thanks to Axeboy for taking me a spin in his machine and pointing out the important bits and pieces to look at.

Didn't get to see car I am considering due to the owner having flood problems at work but hopefully tomorrow I can make a decision with better confidence.

simonc
05-12-2006, 06:09 PM
I now have my new VR4!!! Sitting outside waiting to be taken for a spin but with my new found loyalty to the site I thought I better post first. Many thanks for all the help on this thread.

Simon

Nick VR4
05-12-2006, 06:29 PM
I now have my new VR4!!! Sitting outside waiting to be taken for a spin but with my new found loyalty to the site I thought I better post first. Many thanks for all the help on this thread.

Simon

Congrats Mate :2thumbsup:2thumbsup:2thumbsup have a spare £20 for Membership :2thumbsup:2thumbsup:2thumbsup:2thumbsup

TAR
05-12-2006, 06:43 PM
COOL :2thumbsup

Brunty
05-12-2006, 06:50 PM
I now have my new VR4!!! Sitting outside waiting to be taken for a spin but with my new found loyalty to the site I thought I better post first.

Posting rather than driving - you may well be our most dedicated poster (after Wildcards).

Well done.

Enjoy the car.

Now!

Kieran
05-12-2006, 09:00 PM

Simon

Great news!:2thumbsup Enjoy, and before you go and run up a HUGE optimax bill, £20 will save you a good bit of cash if you like to get your hands dirty!:scholar:

ritch_w
05-12-2006, 09:28 PM

Simon

well done Simon - you wont regret it! :afro:

oh and join up for £20 - there so much more knowledge and guidance in the members area (a bit hypocritical coming from a non member, i know, but I used to be, and I used to have a VR4 so know its well worth it :2thumbsup .)

simonc
08-12-2006, 01:26 PM
Thank you all, £20 is in the post. I think I will be needing a bit of guidance, particularly over the next few weeks as the car is basicaly a new import and needs stuff done, what stuff exactly I'm not sure.

It has been steam cleaned and is parked up until undersealing on Monday, Im away for a week and by the time I return it should have a new alarm/imobiliser and remote locking.

I think then a trip to The Garage, so highly recomended, and see what this chap Marc says.

I will now switch my chat to somewhere else as it's the technical bits which need discusion.

Thanks again

Simon.