PDA

View Full Version : The boring fuel consumption thread

I-S
29-11-2006, 08:24 PM
By Popular Demand (TM), a kieranesque piece on driving techniques to save fuel without wasting time.

Fuel consumption is a very complex topic because there's so many variables involved. The weather, the exact fuel quality, when your car was last serviced, traffic conditions, temperature, tyre pressures and the biggest variable of all... the driver.

Assuming that your car is well maintained and correct tyre pressures all round, regularly checked, etc, then driving technique is the single biggest thing you can do to improve fuel consumption. There are various different things that can be applied... some of them are about how to drive most efficiently within certain situations and others are about how to take best advantage of the mechanical system that is the car.

Let's look at how the car works first.

1. Brakes

Hmmm... brakes stop the car, how do they help improve fuel consumption? Answer is that they don't. They're the single biggest waste of energy on your car that you have any control over. We all know how brakes work... pads press on disc, get hot, stop car. The car's motion is converted into heat. The engine and drivetrain are about 25% efficient at converting the energy in the fuel into motion of the car. The rest is converted (remembering from science at school about conservation of energy... it can not be created or destroyed, merely changed from one form to another. In this case it starts as chemical energy) into heat. The brakes are 100% efficient at converting the motion of the car into heat (not all of this heat is in the brakes themselves, however). HEAT IS WASTE ENERGY!

So, that's the physics lesson. The bearing on fuel consumption is that any energy put into the brakes was originally 4 times as much fuel, and that's a lot of energy. A quick back of an envelope calculation says that at about 95km/h (58mph or so) your car has 0.5MJ of energy. Slamming the brakes on has wasted at least 2MJ of fuel (in pure energetic terms... in reality, with getting back up to speed again and loss of momentum, it's quite a bit more). 1 litre of fuel contains about 33MJ of energy. Thus if you can avoid braking, you can maintain momentum and avoid wasting energy. Of course, if a child runs out in the road, or the guy in front slams on his brakes, you stop, but there are a great many times that people use their brakes when they don't need to. That will come under the later section...

2. Gears

First of all the "keep it in as high a gear as possible to save fuel" that most people believe is a myth. IT IS WRONG. For example, assuming a 5-speed manual, many people will use 4th gear at 30mph, giving around 1500-1750rpm. At this speed most engines (and the VR4 may be somewhat excepted) don't have a great deal of torque on hand. When traffic slows to 25mph the revs drop accordingly (1250-1500rpm now), and then the traffic clears. Prod the throttle and nothing happens. You have to press hard on the throttle for the engine to slowly pull the car back to 30mph. Few revs, yes, but large throttle excursions mean lots of fuel being put in the engine. In third gear you might have 2000-2250rpm, and the engine will require much less throttle to get the car up to speed again more quickly. The total amount of fuel put into the engine does not depend on revs, but on a product of revs and throttle.

Use the right gear. 3rd in 30. Revs aren't your enemy

3. Engine braking

Engine braking is generally a good thing. GEAR braking is a very very bad thing. What's the difference? Engine braking is where you are in a gear and take your foot off the throttle and the car slows down. Gear braking is where you change to a lower gear, bring the clutch up with wildly mismatched input and output speeds in the gearbox (eg engine at 1000rpm and output at 2000rpm), and the car suddenly slows down as the momentum of the car spins up the engine. Gear braking can easily be replaced by proper engine braking by rev-matching the input and output before engaging the clutch (modern synchro means you don't need to double declutch. You can if you want though), then removing throttle pressure and letting the car slow down that way.

Rev-match downshifts and let the car slow in gear

4. How the engine uses fuel

So now we're using a lower gear in town... more acceleration available, more engine braking available. That's good. Now by leaving more of a gap to the car in front and backing off the throttle when you see an obstruction (queue, traffic lights, zebra crossing, etc) ahead of them, you don't need to use the brakes to slow down. The car will slow down by engine braking, and you can easily still be rolling at 10-15mph by the time the obstruction clears and you can carry on. There's two big savings of fuel here... the obvious one is the "keep rolling" means you're carrying momentum, which is energy (ok, it's proportional to). The less obvious one is down to an interesting foible of fuel-injection. When rolling along on a flat surface or down a hill, with the car in gear there is NO FUEL being injected into the engine. NONE. Why would there be? The car's motion is keeping the engine turning, and the throttle is closed. This means that if you're driving down a long hill and are tempted to put the car into neutral (or coast on the clutch) to "save fuel", you'll actually waste it; in neutral the car must inject fuel to keep the engine turning over, rather than letting the motion of the car do that. If you let the car slow down in gear, you will actually feel when the ecu starts injecting fuel again when you get to idle rpm. Coming back to the town-driving example, if you are at 30mph in 3rd, see an obstruction, let off throttle, slow to 15mph, obstruction clears, carry on, you have used no fuel in the time that you slowed down, and carry more speed so less is required to get back to 30mph.

Never coast (neutral or clutch depressed). Leave space so you don't need to use brakes

5. The open road

Ahhh, that lovely NSL sign. Acceleration is not the enemy of fuel consumption... get up to speed quickly. Go on, you know you want to. Put it like this... say you have a section of straight roal at NSL from a 30 limit, and then a corner you know you can take at 45 safely. If you use firm acceleration in 3rd to go from 30-60mph, then change to 5th, light throttle to maintain speed, then rev-match downshift to 4th and let the car slow by itself to 45 and then into the corner, you will actually use less than or a similar amount of fuel to going 30-40mph in 3rd, 40-55 in 4th, 55-60 in 5th, no time to maintain speed, brake, downshift. The former is certainly more fun. The car is at its most efficient at around 55mph.

Don't be afraid to get up to speed quickly. Use the right gears for acceleration and for maintaining speed, and don't be afraid to miss a gear out (eg 3-5 upshift).

6. Motorway

From the above, you can probably guess that joining a motorway can be done similarly briskly. go to 50 in 3rd, then 4th to 70 and while you join, once you're in lane and at speed, then take 5th. The other thing with motorways is when you get a medium density of traffic (the M6 north of birmingham northbound on a sunday afternoon is ALWAYS like this). Lane 3 will be full of the suicide squad... a continuous train of cars all within a car length of one another, brake lights twinkling every few seconds. Lane 2 will probably have nice, open areas and you can get a proper gap to the person in front, and in 10 minutes time that car that was next to you in lane 3 will still be in sight... is a couple of hundred yards over 10 minutes worth the extra fuel, stress and danger?

Leave a bigger gap so you don't need to brake. Think about whether minute gains in distance travelled are worth additional accel/brake routines

7. Cruise control

As per the other thread... If you're on a flat, straight road that goes on for miles and miles then by all means, use it. The thing about cruise control is that, just like an autobox, it can not PREDICT. It can only REACT. The reason that in this country cruise control will tend to be less efficient is that we don't really have long straight flat roads, and on a hill cruise just ends up dumping lots of fuel to try to maintain 70 up a hill when the driver could let the car slow to 65 for a lot less fuel used. Additionally, our roads are generally rather busy. We've all seen BMW man flying down the outside lane on cruise, coming up behind someone and slamming on the brakes to cancel it and not crash into them. If you use the "cancel" command on the cruise then it won't be so bad, but in general you should be able to better it manually.

Think that will do for starters...

ritch_w
29-11-2006, 08:57 PM
good post - have a rep

Kieran
29-11-2006, 10:24 PM
Hmmm, food for thought! Have a rep point!:2thumbsup

Wodjno
30-11-2006, 07:42 AM
Interesting although not entirely correct :thinking:

bradc
30-11-2006, 08:37 AM
I do it similarly to that, in the VR-4 I keep the revs below 3000rpm at all times, and I accelerate slowly, I get a consistant 500km or more out of it :)

Paul Beazer
30-11-2006, 08:53 AM
Interesting although not entirely correct :thinking:
Go on.....

stuartturbo
30-11-2006, 09:18 AM
I drive if possible to the throttle position if trying to save fuel but WHY

WildCards
30-11-2006, 11:08 AM
Good info Isaac, mind if I cut and paste? i'll credit you of course.

Oh, and a have some rep.

pitslayer
01-12-2006, 02:30 AM
its late ive had a long day so i might be just being slightly stupid here but im sure this wouldnt make a difference

Prod the throttle and nothing happens. You have to press hard on the throttle for the engine to slowly pull the car back to 30mph. Few revs, yes, but large throttle excursions mean lots of fuel being put in the engine. In third gear you might have 2000-2250rpm, and the engine will require much less throttle to get the car up to speed again more quickly

ok so you put your foot down more in 4th gear for eg at 30 nothing happens as your doing naff all revs therefore using up petrol. so put in third the revs increase thus stopping the problem of over fueling in wrong revs. which is correct...but your in third gear doing 1000more rpm so therefore the higher the rpm the more fuel the car uses. so at a guess, now your going to use the same amount of fuel, in either gear, due to higher revs in third, or proding the throttle more in third

the other one im confused on here is this

you're driving down a long hill and are tempted to put the car into neutral (or coast on the clutch) to "save fuel", you'll actually waste it; in neutral the car must inject fuel to keep the engine turning over, rather than letting the motion of the car do that
say im doing 75mph on the M4 down that big hill going into bath( you all know the one i mean lol) im in 5th gear at 3500rpm say. so my car is using 3500rpms worth a fuel all the time your in that gear. take it out of gear the idle speed is 750rpm, so my car is using just enough fuel to keep it running.
now using a pc calculator as its a damn site easier than writing on an envelope :P :P and using your brain....so 3500-750 is--2750.....so theres 2750rpm diff between 5th gear and idle at 70 mph. now i know that the higher the rpm the more fuel is being chucked into the engine, yes?......so at 750, which is min to keep car running happily is minimal amount of fuel going into engine...where as 3500rpm is a dam site more.....

i know my golf is k jettronic manual injection and you can play with petrol and squirt it quite far out the injectors....now at rough idle speed, it put out little fuel....as i opened the throttle flap the fuel amount increased, and surely it being underload would also mean that the engine is using more fuel than it would at idle

or am i being silly...im not trying to cause an arguement, its just how i see it :)

we could test the theory someone drive a galant around a track at 30mph constant, flat track with 10 quid in the tank....then let it run dry, see how long it takes to run dry, then fill it back up with 10 quid in the tank and let it idle and see which goes longer

good write up thow, does explain quite alot to people, i agree with everything else thow...i think lol.

Kenneth
01-12-2006, 02:40 AM
first off, fuel is calculated in a multidimensional way, RPM being just one of those dimensions.

Think of it this way: When you open the throttle plate you suck in the maximum volume of air into each cylinder as there is little restriction in the intake.
Because your vehicle is trying to keep the air to fuel ratio constant, the more air that goes into the cylinder the more fuel. so max air = max fuel. (edit: well, the maximum per revolution... )

Not only that, the ECU sees that the TPS has gone to WOT and will therfore add another load figure to the equation which will inject even MORE air into the cylinders.

now, if you are at half throttle, and sucking in half the air, then you only inject half the fuel. so you cut your consumption in half (or therabouts)
however your revs may not go up by 100%
so, half fuel at 3000 RPM is less than full fuel at 2000rpm
not to mention that at half throttle the ECU will be more likely to stay in closed loop and not enrich the fuel mixture... saving even more fuel.

Deceleration: Fuel injected cars are run by computers (ECU). The ECU looks at the TPS (throttle position sensor) and sees that it is at 0% or throttle closed. if the throttle is closed then the car sure as hell is not accelerating. if the RPM is above 1500 then the car isn't idle either. so you dont need to feed any fuel to the engine. It just turns the injectors off because they are not needed.
At this point, you are either waiting for the RPM to drop because you bliped the accelerator, or you are engine braking. either way you dont need fuel.

Carbs work differently however.

pitslayer
01-12-2006, 04:21 PM
carbs work when and if they want to.......well thats what mine used to do it lol

I-S
01-12-2006, 04:41 PM
its late ive had a long day so i might be just being slightly stupid here but im sure this wouldnt make a difference

now your going to use the same amount of fuel, in either gear, due to higher revs in third, or proding the throttle more in third

Indeed, this one doesn't dramatically save fuel by itself. However, it improves the responsiveness and safety, as well as saving you on speeding tickets since it's much easier to keep to 30.

say im doing 75mph on the M4 down that big hill going into bath( you all know the one i mean lol) im in 5th gear at 3500rpm say. so my car is using 3500rpms worth a fuel all the time your in that gear

This is where you've gone wrong. The ECU is NOT injecting fuel in that situation. Kenneth said it better than I could.

. take it out of gear the idle speed is 750rpm, so my car is using just enough fuel to keep it running.

That's correct. So it's using more fuel. Not to mention it's bloody dangerous.

we could test the theory someone drive a galant around a track at 30mph constant, flat track with 10 quid in the tank....then let it run dry, see how long it takes to run dry, then fill it back up with 10 quid in the tank and let it idle and see which goes longer

That would test nothing. Sure, it would run longer if you let it sit idling. But you'll get 0 mpg because you haven't gone anywhere. 0 divided by anything is still 0.

I-S
01-12-2006, 04:45 PM
Just an additional point on the going down hill in-gear thing. My drive to work in the morning contains 3 miles of going uphill out of my village, over the top of the pennines, and 3 miles coming down the hill on the other side. If the ambient temperature is between 0 and 5C then the water temp needle gets to it's normal place after about 2 miles. I can have it back off the bottom of the scale after coming down the hill. No fuel = little heat generated (some is generated due to friction of course), so the engine can cool off again.

bradc
01-12-2006, 07:44 PM
Isaac, I've seen a similar thing down long hills too, lifting off the throttle and leaving the car in 5th gear for long enough will make the temp gauge go down as long as you don't run out of hill.

Exbury
02-12-2006, 11:48 PM
Hmmm, not too sure about the using more fuel coasting down hills. I tried this on a 05 hire focus 1.6 petrol manual.

I appreciate the petrol computers are not very accurate, however as I was going through a tank every two days, coasting down hills seemed to give me an extra 2-3mpg on the tank. Maybe its the sensors getting confused. To test at various speeds at 75mph motorways (mostly) I was getting around 37-38mpg, at averaging 60mph getting around 43mpg and averaging 50mph (for testing purposes only) getting around 48mpg.

I was averaging around 32mpg out of my 2.5V6 estate galant compared to 33mpg out of my 2.0 GLS. Not conclusive testing I know but food for thought.

pitslayer
03-12-2006, 12:16 AM
Indeed, this one doesn't dramatically save fuel by itself. However, it improves the responsiveness and safety, as well as saving you on speeding tickets since it's much easier to keep to 30.

This is where you've gone wrong. The ECU is NOT injecting fuel in that situation. Kenneth said it better than I could.

That's correct. So it's using more fuel. Not to mention it's bloody dangerous.

That would test nothing. Sure, it would run longer if you let it sit idling. But you'll get 0 mpg because you haven't gone anywhere. 0 divided by anything is still 0.

that clears that up then :lol:

Wodjno
03-12-2006, 01:17 AM
Hmmm, not too sure about the using more fuel coasting down hills. I tried this on a 05 hire focus 1.6 petrol manual.

You will definitely use more fuel coasting(in neutral) down a hill, than you will if you leave the car in a high gear.:scholar:

The Vee
03-12-2006, 05:20 PM
Autos or manuals, never coast down hill in neutral. You then have no engine braking and are relliant solely on brakes. In some situations this could lead to brake fade or even failure. You're also not creating the full degree of vacuum in the manifold, which is what your brake servo thrives on and in the case of an auto, your transmission will eventually object - it is almost the same effect as towing the vehicle. And, as correctly stated by others, the ecu will cut fuel delivery on over-run. ie foot off throttle and momentem turning engine - IN GEAR

IAC77
25-12-2006, 10:47 PM
Really interesting posts guys, this may sound like a stupid question, but are there any specific techniques for maximising fuel economy in a Tiptronic \ Auto? Am I right to assume that driving in Tiptronic mode will ultimately use more fuel than standard auto?

Other than driving techniques, are there any other things that can be done to improve fuel economy such as reducing excess weight? Do performance modifications such as aftermarket Air Filters \ Exhausts make any difference?

I-S
26-12-2006, 01:22 AM
The same advice on gears applies, with the additional things to keep in mind of trying to minimise use of the torque converter and maximise use of mechanical lockups. You will find in stop/start traffic on the 4 speed auto (and I don't know what to recommend for the 5 speed as I don't know how the ratios fall) that 2nd can be a better choice than letting it have third, as it doesn't hunt back and forth.

After-market air filters are a pretty sure way to get less good consumption. More air = more fuel as the ECU keeps the air/fuel ratio the same.

Wodjno
28-12-2006, 08:21 PM
After-market air filters are a pretty sure way to get less good consumption. More air = more fuel as the ECU keeps the air/fuel ratio the same.

:speechles :thinking: :inquisiti /help /pan :book: /toycar

MJR
28-12-2006, 08:34 PM
Really good read this topic, thanks for all the info :)

I always thought, induction kits or exhausts made no real difference to the mpg ????

I-S
28-12-2006, 09:01 PM
Then they'd make no difference to power either. More power = more fuel burned = more air used. So either the air filter will result in more fuel being used, or they'd make no difference to fuel and consequently power.

What they do NOT do is magically increase the thermal efficiency of the engine (ie extract more power from the same amount of fuel).