PDA

View Full Version : Any Win 2k Experts?

Nick Mann
17-11-2003, 10:57 PM
My computer has just been put on the new domain at work. It is Windows 2000 and has been set to load a corporate wallpaper when logging on. :INSERT INTO post VALUES ( I have administration priviledges on my pc, but I can't work out how to override the wallpaper. :Ponder: Is there something in the registry that can be altered to stick the fingers up at the IT lads? I think a VR-4 is a much better background! :D

Ta,

Nick.

Kieran
17-11-2003, 11:03 PM
They will have set the default desktop wall paper in the default computer Policy INSERT INTO post VALUES (or default user policy, can't remember which) in the domain, and probably ticked the 'No Override' option. Domain policies will take priority over local settings as well, if configured appropriately. You probably won't be able to change it - and even if you do, it'll be back to corporate wallpaper the next time you log on:INSERT INTO post VALUES (

Nick Mann
17-11-2003, 11:16 PM
I'm not well up on the lingo, but I have been told that 'local user policies have not been supressed'. I can and have, for instance, downloaded NickVR4's matrix screensaver link and have it working no probs.

Does that mean that maximum security is not enabled? There must be a glimmer of hope?

BraindG
18-11-2003, 12:30 AM
try having a look in poledit... INSERT INTO post VALUES (start\run\poledit)
you log in with admin account?

the_boy
18-11-2003, 10:51 AM
If it's 2000 then you need to use gpedit.msc, it will be in the C:\windows\system32 folder

If it being applied at logon, then it's a user policy
If it's being applied at shutdown/startup then it's a computer policy

If it's the first one then check the Windows Settings for a script that may be running, if it's a major script that does more than the background there's probably not much you can do.

Otherwise it'll be in the Administrative Templates section. Not sure where cos I've never had to search for it

You're company would have to be quite harsh to set-up No-override on the group policies for the users OU, if that's what you have.

If you can't find the option to change it, just never log off or never shutdown your PC depending on how it is set :D :D

Hope this helps.