PDA

View Full Version : ASC light flashing

Daintree
18-11-2003, 10:23 AM
I have a 1998 type S Legnum VR-4 tiptronic.

I have a nasty flashing light picture of a skidding car on the top right of the lit up display. The Japanese translated owners manual refers to this as the ASC warning light.

Six months ago I had a problem with the ABS system leaking gas into the brake lines and the hydraulics going almost completely over a few days accumulated gas. The same light flashed, but went away after bleeding the system. Only to come back a few days later when the brakes were going again as gas leaked from the ABS accumulator to the brake lines!

The car appears to function well. Should I be worried?

Anyone any thoughts??

Phil

zedy1
18-11-2003, 11:52 AM
that lights is part of the traction control and anti skid control=, when u say it came on the off it is possible that the tc kicked in.

Darren
18-11-2003, 03:09 PM
That light comes on with mine sometimes when the cars been stopped a short while, the engine when hot started seems to get a bit confused and labours for a while and just before stalling the light comes on.
I can also be the vacuum hoses, Pescha posted the details a couple of months ago.
I think this light is the general panic light for these cars as they seem to come on at the drop of a hat.

-LegnumVR4-
18-11-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Daintree
I have a 1998 type S Legnum VR-4 tiptronic.

I have a nasty flashing light picture of a skidding car on the top right of the lit up display. The Japanese translated owners manual refers to this as the ASC warning light.

Six months ago I had a problem with the ABS system leaking gas into the brake lines and the hydraulics going almost completely over a few days accumulated gas. The same light flashed, but went away after bleeding the system. Only to come back a few days later when the brakes were going again as gas leaked from the ABS accumulator to the brake lines!

The car appears to function well. Should I be worried?

Anyone any thoughts??

Phil

It's a fault of the ABS/ASC unit. There was a recall on the unit in 2001. What will happen is the brake pedal will go to the floor and braking would be very limited. There is a post about details on the recall here on the forum. I've already contacted Mitsubishi Wellington about it and they are looking into it.

KiwiTT
18-11-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by -LegnumVR4-
It's a fault of the ABS/ASC unit. There was a recall on the unit in 2001. ...

As I bought mine in 2003 INSERT INTO post VALUES (being in as first in NZ). Can I assume that the required repair has been done in Japan already.

zedy1
18-11-2003, 11:49 PM
mine has been in uk since 1999 but has never caused this problem

-LegnumVR4-
19-11-2003, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by KiwiTT
As I bought mine in 2003 INSERT INTO post VALUES (being in as first in NZ). Can I assume that the required repair has been done in Japan already.

May have been done or you car isn't affected by it. One way to check is to look at your ABS pump to see if it has an accumulator on it, all the fixed units don't have them.

KiwiTT
19-11-2003, 09:13 PM
Where do I look for the ABS pump ?

-LegnumVR4-
20-11-2003, 05:07 AM
If u look at the Airbox then at the MAF which connects to the airbox, to the right of that there are green pipes and some plugs that are going into a unit, thats the pump.