PDA

View Full Version : Worrying little moment ...

White Lightning
01-12-2006, 10:54 PM
Just started up the VR-4 to swap it over with the Ka and had a bit of a problem. It was really lumpy and the TCL light came on. Switched off and tried again. Same thing. Really lumpy and TCL light came on. Decided to pop the bonnet and have a look but couldn't see anything obvious.

Decided to try again. This time it started ok. Walked around the front to drop the bonnet and noticed that she'd blown one of the headlight bulbs. Then I thought ... ah ... remember Orion2no having problems like this and started to think alternator related.

I am hoping it's just the wiring connector on the alternator having come a bit loose (the clip got damaged when it was unplugged during the engine swap) and not the alternator on it's way out ...

/help

:5shots:

Funkstar
01-12-2006, 11:05 PM
I hope it is something simple like that mate. You've had enough trouble so far/Grrr .

White Lightning
01-12-2006, 11:34 PM
Me too mate. Me too.

Will have a look in the daylight in the morning. I have just remembered that there is a slight split in the hose to the boost gauge at the end near the sender unit which may not be helping. I'll chop that bit out in the morning.

I'll also check my alternator wiring connector is on tight.

Fingers crossed ...

BraindG
02-12-2006, 03:54 AM
you should be able to stick your hand down the back, and feel the eye loop that goes onto the altenator.. see if its tight?

White Lightning
02-12-2006, 06:27 PM
I've not had chance to get my hand down on to the alternator connector yet but I've just come back from Castle Combe and it ran perfectly there and back. I have noticed that there is a split in the battery terminal so that won't be helping. The terminal is tight though ...

Anyway ... I'm off again now to go back to the Xmas dinner ... laters ... I'm sure everyone will post up later about today's events :2thumbsup

White Lightning
03-12-2006, 01:07 PM
Starting to think this was not the alternator now. The headlight bulb had not blown it was just a bad connection - which I've now sorted. Unfortunately, I'd already paid £8.99 for a new bulb ... typical ... oh well at least I've got a spare :happy:

Will have to keep and eye on things and double check all my hoses for tightness next time I'm under the bonnet I think ...

orionn2o
05-12-2006, 10:19 AM
Thats good that it aint the alternator then! I wouldn't wish that on anybody!

Thats exactly how my problems started, blown headlights! (and they're not cheap). And TCL light on and all that!

Thankfully yours is looking more promising!!